Wild rainbows in UK

Elwyman

What patterns would you recommend tying for the Wye?
Might be worth contacting a local shop.

sewinbasher

What patterns would you recommend tying for the Wye?
Any standard imitative patterns, I do well with Paradun, F-Fly, Parachute Adams, CDC&Elk, Griffiths Gnat for dries and standard PTN or Copper John nymphs. Thanks to the former C&L keeper Dave Percival there's also a good mayfly hatch.

Last edited:

black and silver

I was just wondering, these wild rainbow trout have truely stunning colours, so here's my question, do they change colour after been in the river for a month or so like sea trout and salmon or do they retain thier vibrancy?

sean freeman

The ones in the Wye go darker towards the end of the season and during spawning. Some of the males develop a lovely kype too.
The keepers reckon the Wye rainbows are coastal rainbows with kern or redband influences so probably from California.

sean freeman

Not entirely sure, they have about a dozen subspecies of rainbow in the west of America. The kern river and redband rainbows are very colourful with coastal being more common and silver in colour. With a hundred years of adaptation maybe the fish in the Wye have taken on their own characteristics?

heathenwoods

I was catching wild rainbows (read: juvenile and established, unmarked) fairly regularly not far above Matlock throughout most of last season so I think there is now a fairly stable population quite a way downstream of the Wye confluence. Not as frequently as brownies or grayling but probably one every three trips and in different locations.

I'm also quite interested in the larger silver fish that keep turning up even further downstream.