Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

Vermontdrifter

First day out yesterday on the Sure in the north of Luxembourg with a friend. Clear skies but cold and the water levels were high enough that wading was not the safest of options. Euronymphed for four hours using two bit hookers with two 3mm tungsten beads to get down through the current. 1 take but did not connect and my buddy took a quick bath but we had a great time. Stopped at 14:00 and the two of us had a wee dram in the sun while setting right the wrongs of the world. Life is good!

arrow

First trip on Friday to a WUF wild stream.
8db71f1d45e022efd49a2f4c4b7f4074.jpg

Fished with my newly finished 6’6 2#.
Perfect for these small streams and had a real smile on my face with the first Trout of the season.
304828c223bd84a81f7350e885636a70.jpg

Had a few spectators too.
c64bba13342a133e3fe982c2b1434b3b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mrtrout

Had a few hours at a local haunt on the Eden today, just back.
Cold wind and very bright but I spotted a fish rise in the fast water while threading up.
A few MBS about so stuck a Jingler on and got him second cast, lovely fat fish about 2lbs but he jumped the net before I clicked the shutter!!
Spent the rest of the afternoon looking for another riser and spotted one but missed him twice before he went down.
Lovely to be out and saw a good few Martins in the air.
S.

Calder Junky

First time out since the start of the trout season for me. My local small streams usually kick off on the dry from opening day but despite a steady trickle of LDO's popping off all afternoon which looked very promising I didn't see a single rise all afternoon.

Prospected with the dries for about 40 minutes for a bit fat zilch in the net and no offers so on went the nymphs which felt all wrong in what was a decent hatch by then but the fish didn't seem to think so.

Caught steadily all afternoon from then on with fish to a good average size for a small stream. The right side of 40 fish for the afternoon which again isn't great for the opening days of the season on there most seasons but more than happy with that none the less.

Purple beaded nasties were my best pattern of the day by far. Purple always good for me early season.

Tight lines for the new season everyone.

Andy
best today.JPG
purple 2.JPG

Jason 70

I was out early this morning on my local, no photo's I'm afraid gents and I'll refrain from posting on this section in the future on this river. Apologies for that as so many of the catch reports I enjoy reading but talking to a couple of people these last few days, our little river has people travelling from quite some distance to fish it. And the less said the better, even though you can't stop other social media posts.

I arrived early, overcast with my LB rod. Midges were hatching all over and plenty of fish were looking up. I nicked three Brownies on an F Fly of about a pound apiece and a corking out of season Roach. Small casts wading up to my balls, short drifts of about two feet and repeat. I was well pleased.

I have a few venues to visit later on in the season, so will gladly do a little post or two on these.. But today as always I thoroughly enjoyed getting into tight spots where fish were rising. No great shakes for many of us, but I had a big smile on my face when I walked off.

tierradelfuego

Had my 1st day out on Thursday on the Lambourn, I have the choice of the Loddon or Lambourn but given the Loddon is dry fly only at this time of year, it seemed like a better choice to go to the latter with a duo setup. The Lambourn is also pretty much a banker good early season river, when you need to feel good about catching a few.

The day started cold and cloudy and I hardly saw a fish sub-surface until I saw a very unexpected rise. The first few runs, which are reasonable bankers produced nothing. About 11:30am things switched on with a few to the nymph, and then a lovely 2lb-er to the klink, which again surprised me but it held and was returned happily.

The sun came out at lunch and it turned into a lovely afternoon, although no real hatch was evident, but had another to the klink. Ended up with 2 to the klink and 20 to the nymph. A couple of real bruiser 2lb+ paired up grayling spotted so hopefully we may have a few youngsters in the future.

All were caught trying out my new Redington CT's, 1st half on the 8'6" #4, 2nd on the 8' #4.

Really confused on the rods to be fair, the 8'6" I think I really enjoyed but not 100%, the 8' in some ways felt like it demanded a dry fly softly approach but then being shorter felt that it was a bit faster and had more backbone, so to speak. More days needed, what a shame...

Mrtrout

Had my 1st day out on Thursday on the Lambourn, I have the choice of the Loddon or Lambourn but given the Loddon is dry fly only at this time of year, it seemed like a better choice to go to the latter with a duo setup. The Lambourn is also pretty much a banker good early season river, when you need to feel good about catching a few.

The day started cold and cloudy and I hardly saw a fish sub-surface until I saw a very unexpected rise. The first few runs, which are reasonable bankers produced nothing. About 11:30am things switched on with a few to the nymph, and then a lovely 2lb-er to the klink, which again surprised me but it held and was returned happily.

The sun came out at lunch and it turned into a lovely afternoon, although no real hatch was evident, but had another to the klink. Ended up with 2 to the klink and 20 to the nymph. A couple of real bruiser 2lb+ paired up grayling spotted so hopefully we may have a few youngsters in the future.

All were caught trying out my new Redington CT's, 1st half on the 8'6" #4, 2nd on the 8' #4.

Really confused on the rods to be fair, the 8'6" I think I really enjoyed but not 100%, the 8' in some ways felt like it demanded a dry fly softly approach but then being shorter felt that it was a bit faster and had more backbone, so to speak. More days needed, what a shame...
Nice going A, the CT 8.6#4 is for me a treat, but I like a through actioned rod so it suits my style, I don’t have the 8ft to compare.
Stick with it I’m sure it’ll grow on you, 22 fish up to 2lbs plus it can’t be bad.
S.

shuck raider

Had a quick trip for a bit of urban FF to the River Lagan on the outskirts of Belfast near Shaw's Bridge. Lots of walkers and dogs but they seemed to keep to the paths and I had the river to myself.

Brief hatch of LDOs around lunchtime and I winkled out a nice brown on a PTN which measured 14" which I reckon makes it 1.25lb. Left the phone in the car so no pics. Hadn't fished that stretch since I was a kid (and that wasn't yesterday!) and was delighted to see such a quality fish so near to the city.

lavo85

Had a quick trip for a bit of urban FF to the River Lagan on the outskirts of Belfast near Shaw's Bridge. Lots of walkers and dogs but they seemed to keep to the paths and I had the river to myself.

Brief hatch of LDOs around lunchtime and I winkled out a nice brown on a PTN which measured 14" which I reckon makes it 1.25lb. Left the phone in the car so no pics. Hadn't fished that stretch since I was a kid (and that wasn't yesterday!) and was delighted to see such a quality fish so near to the city.
Some cracking fished caught at shaws bridge lately.

tierradelfuego

Nice going A, the CT 8.6#4 is for me a treat, but I like a through actioned rod so it suits my style, I don’t have the 8ft to compare.
Stick with it I’m sure it’ll grow on you, 22 fish up to 2lbs plus it can’t be bad.
S.
Yes S, learning to love a new rod on day one is a challenge, learning to love two was maybe a step too far but they both did well certainly. Looking forward to a real dry fly day shortly to see what I think of them both. A.

smallmouth

First day on the river for four months, floods and restricted lockdown travel having kept me away since last November, so I made an early start despite the forecast.

It was snowing as I tackled up, flakes as big as a ten pence piece swirling around, but it had stopped by the time I made my first cast of the river trout season. With the cloud lifting, the temperature dropped, a bitter northerly wind got up and the sun revealed a unexpectedly low and clear, very bare river.

No fish were moving as I worked my way upstream back to the car, dippers and wagtails seemed busy nesting rather than feeding. My pair of beaded nymphs wouldn't trundle through and were soon swapped for a lighter 2mm #22 on the point and a #16 spider on the dropper.

I was out of sorts, slipping all over the place, back, knees and ankles not flexible enough, fingers fumbling and numb, and generally feeling like a man too old and clumsy to be wading a stony river.

After two hours I saw a rise in the faster broken water at the head of the glide, covering it with what I had on resulted in an unexpected take. I assumed to the Waterhen Bloa, but the little trout had taken the copper beaded PTN.

trout1.jpg

The banker pool I was working my way up to failed to produce, as did the lengthy piece of pocket water above it, so being conveniently level with the car at noon, a flask of tea and a sandwich beckoned.

After lunch, the river remained lifeless, nothing much was hatching. After reading about other people's first days, I was hoping for some LDO's early afternoon. Sure enough as I approached an anticipated run, fish were rising to what turned out to be some large and small upwings, (species unknown to me). A #17 loopwing parachute failed, as did a #21. By now I was on a shingle beach, on my protesting knees, tying on a #20, (a large #20), olive klink. An upstream presentation was awkward, so I shuffled to a position allowing me to cast across and slightly down. Still awkward, but as soon as I got it right I got an acceptance and a nice solid trout that jumped several times............
trout2.jpg

The next time I got it right, another nice trout came off, annoyingly the hook had snapped at the bend, I find this can be an occasional problem with fine black nickel Tiemco's.

Plenty of duns seemed to be making it unmolested, so I was thinking that I'd do better with a spider, perhaps a Waterhen Bloa and/or Hareslug & Plover, for fish that seemed to be taking emergers. But the hatch seemed to be petering out and I was having too much fun trying to crack the dry fly presentation, so I stuck with it. When I decided to call it a day, my knees seemed to have locked solid and I realised I'd been knelt there for ninety minutes.......

So not a multiple fish day, but better than I thought it might be at the beginning and very enjoyable.

Last edited:

Rhithrogena

A short evening session on the nearest river, just an 8 minute drive....
IMG_20210407_180413418-01.jpeg

I worked carefully up this run for a couple of hours and was rewarded with a dozen or so plump little brownies up to 7" or so, three very healthy seatrout smolts of around 8-9", and one jewel of a salmon parr (no pic - too precious, very quickly unhooked without touching it). All on my deadly new RDN....
I have only used this fly for my last 5 sessions now and must have had dozens of fish on it already https://www.flyfishing.co.uk/threads/raccoon-dog-dubbing.621823/
IMG_20210407_175244572_HDR-02.jpeg

IMG_20210407_175832170_HDR-01.jpeg

Although it was around 5C with a strong notherly wind (directly downstream 😐), I was well wrapped up against the elements and had a great time.
IMG_20210407_191557523-01.jpeg

heathenwoods

I've had a couple of trips out over the past week. Last Wednesday I was in (relatively) sweltering conditions, picking off eight (4 wild bows, 4 wild brownies) with a mix of klinks and dinks. It was a beautiful day but it felt like hard work as I'd dressed for a cooler day! The fish included a belting bow but I have a new phone and ended up videoing it rather than taking a photo. I did get a snap of the river looking pretty though:
wyebridge.jpg

Today was a much colder day and the fish felt sullen. I took my son and was happy to see his casting coming on; he's not been with me for a while as he's a bit nesh and doesn't like the cold. I figured 8° was warm enough. Not that it got over six! He lost a couple but still had a good day but he did accuse me of stealing his fish 😂

I did have a few. All to little, dark nymphs except one that I saw rising sporadically. I tried it with a #14 Bob Wyatt DHS on the basis of having seen one small LDO skitter off the river. I like the DHS as a fly that covers most things and it worked. That was undoubtedly my best fish of the day simply because it was nice to catch on a dry on a bitter day. Worst fish was the one I got on a nymph when I was showing my son how to run a nymph through a tasty riffle...maybe there was some truth in his accusation that I stole a fish or two...
benny.jpg

Shame the day finished with the end section of my Recon snapping for reasons I still cannot fathom....

jaybeegee

I went exploring today on a lovely stretch of the Aire north of Skipton. The level looked about right for the time of year, gin clear and icy cold and I walked down to the lower limit on the right bank, away from the river to avoid spooking fish. Nothing rising so put on a black nymph and began to work upstream fishing the channel under the far bank but no joy. Came across a fish rising steadily to hatch of small sedge and he came to my first cast with a brown emerger but I missed him and he went down. I’d say the right bank fishing is about a kilometre of mixed pool, riffle and streamy water with some deep pots and I fished here and there to the top of the beat but nothing feeding, though I saw three good fish and spooked an absolute belter. The wind was from the north and bitterly cold at times, but I saw curlews and lapwings and enjoyed the day thoroughly. I’ll be back when the water warms up a bit to explore the left bank beat further down.

B
2D506CFA-E75E-4CEF-A6AC-77C6BEB2D969.jpeg
4955B826-281E-456B-A24F-4B980254A291.jpeg

Oldbones

Managed to get out today, I did not have high hopes due to the weather the frost and the chance of snow melt getting into the river.
Still I thought it would do me good to get casting and regenerate some of what I loosely call my fishing skills.
Landed up being a brilliant morning, even though it was snowing and windy, I did get a fantastic start to my 2021 season.
Three fish, from the Mighty Aberdeenshhire Don.

Fish number one, fell to a Solider Palmer.
Don fishh 1.jpg

Fish number two fell to an Endrick Spider.

Don fish 2.jpg

Fish number three fell to a Solider Palmer.
This fish is 18 inches long, a bit skinny but a good fish.
I have heard of big browns in the Don, and seeing is believing.

3.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts