Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

donnieh

When I was out last week I came across a dead lamb on a gravel bar in the middle of the river, not a newborn but a week or two old and wondered how that had come about as there had been no spate for a while. An hour or so later as I vainly tried to tempt a rising fish, a lamb fell into the water on the far bank. It scrambled out like a drowned rat and bawled for it’s mum. Never seen that before.
B
Similar experience last week on the River Calder. Found a lamb half way down an embankment which didn't look too good. Lying on its side, I thought it was dead initially but then saw its chest moving. Foaming at the mouth. Looking for the farmers number, a pickup just arrived, prodded it and then swung it by the legs into the back of the pickup. I know they are not pets, but could have treated it a bit better. Then 20mins later wading in the middle, found a dead drowned one.

eddleston123

Had a short session on a border stream - Blank - This was my third blank in a row. No rises, no fly life, clear sky with blazing sunshine and the stream was a lot lower than I expected.

On the plus side it was nice to feel some warmth (actually had to take a jumper off) also
I didn't take a tumble, damage or lose any tackle.

I fully sympathise with Mr. T. - when I have a bad day, things seem to happen in multiples!

Still early in the season, but so far this year it has been tough going.

Douglas

Mr Notherone

Well I’ve had a crap afternoon, wish it had never happened.
Started the day painting the shed by order of mrsT, oh joy.
At 2pm I’d had enough so decided to try and catch the afternoon hatch, I think I was an hour late!
Id received a new to me Sage rod this morning in the post so I thought I’d christen it.
Decided to match it up with my mint Bronze Sage 4550 reel, as it matched the rod blanks. :LOL: I know I know, tackle tart gone mad.
Got to the river and sat in a favourite spot trying to see a rising fish.
Nothing was showing and hardly any fly about so I walked downstream a few hundred yards basically to try the rod out.
Wading in about 9” of water I suddenly slipped on some weedy rocks, I went completely A over T, the rod flew off into the air to my right, and I somehow belted my shin on a Boulder ending up flat on my back which I’d also hit on another boulder, It was incredible how one little slip could cause so much flailing about.
Not concerned about myself I picked up the rod which was my main worry to find a lovely little chip on the spool !! 😔
That feeling of damaging expensive kit always hurts, the rod luckily was fine, I was then conclous my shin was sore and my back.
It winded me a bit, but feeling like a fool hurt even more.
I eventually got myself together a few hundred yards upstream and sat down to change the fly, I went to pull my Orvis magnifiers down and realised I lost my hat in the fall, thinking it had probably floated off I was relieved to find it about ten feet behind where I’d fallen.
An hour later I still hadn’t seen a fish so called it a day, I took the rod down and as I left the river two fish came up??
One of those days when you wish you hadn’t bothered.
S.

Always better to get all your bad luck out of the way early season...

lavo85

I too finish at lunch tomo and im heading to a river not too far, last few times ive had the odd trout and a couple of blanks, no flylife and very little rising, weather has been pleasant last couple of afternoons so i do hope the fish are beginning to switch on.

Ive bought some spiders to try, do you fish them on just a floating line or an intermediate tip?

Scotty Mitchell

I too finish at lunch tomo and im heading to a river not too far, last few times ive had the odd trout and a couple of blanks, no flylife and very little rising, weather has been pleasant last couple of afternoons so i do hope the fish are beginning to switch on.

Ive bought some spiders to try, do you fish them on just a floating line or an intermediate tip?
Always a floater for me, if I want to fish deeper I’ll fish a weighted Spider on the point.

jaybeegee

Floating line for me. I use mono or fluoro tippet to control the depth, mono for the surface film when the fish are taking hatching fly and fluoro if there is nothing doing in the top of the water. If you fish spiders upstream spotting a take can be a problem and the tip of the floating line is a useful indicator. It’s a lovely way to fish and when things are tough and nothing else works I’ll fish a pair of spiders in likely spots and it keeps me on my toes.

B

lavo85

One from the first few visits, hopefully a few more tomo.
11B9BF81-E9FD-4446-858C-272F5FD226E2.jpeg