Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

Rhithrogena

Yup. Blanked as well today - on the Ribble near Clitheroe.
Annoyingly there was a good grannom hatch but no rises. What's going on?
Those pesky Grannnom often fly up and down the river looking like they are available to fish when there hasn't been a hatch for ages. If you don't see any rises or any actually coming off or sitting on the water, it's probably not a hatch in progress..

Mrtrout

These things are part of it though, aren't they S? Favourite old tackle of mine has the scrapes and scars of service. Every time you use that reel, instead of being sad for the chip, have a smile at the thought of yourself flailing about in the river and put it down to experience!
Rich
You are spot on there Rich, I’ve often bought reels which have a couple of marks on them and I’m quite relaxed when using them.
only last week I bought a Sage 2550 and it had obvious bits of rash on the cage, it just hurts when you take a spanking new reel out and do it yourself, I’ll get over it, it’s just a bit of steel for wrapping a line round after all, isn’t it?
My counseling is working only two more appointments. :LOL::ROFLMAO:
S.

beetlebum

These things are part of it though, aren't they S? Favourite old tackle of mine has the scrapes and scars of service. Every time you use that reel, instead of being sad for the chip, have a smile at the thought of yourself flailing about in the river and put it down to experience!
Rich
I've actually sold gear because it has been in too good of a condition for me to use it. I had a Guideline Fario reel that although a lovely thing to look at I just knew that I would scrape so I sold it whilst it was pretty enough to be of use to someone else. I much prefer a pre scraped reel, the damage is already done then and I can relax😂

tierradelfuego

You are spot on there Rich, I’ve often bought reels which have a couple of marks on them and I’m quite relaxed when using them.
only last week I bought a Sage 2550 and it had obvious bits of rash on the cage, it just hurts when you take a spanking new reel out and do it yourself, I’ll get over it, it’s just a bit of steel for wrapping a line round after all, isn’t it?
My counseling is working only two more appointments. :LOL::ROFLMAO:
S.
Know how you feel S, I bought a Sage Trout from iirc Colin on here. Lovely reel and was new, but decided to take it last year to my Exmoor stream when we went to Devon, but is like an assault course. Only a few small marks and I have gotten over it...most of the time, it's just when I look closely at it i feel miffed at my own stupidity.

Anyways, fishing...

Had a work party on the Lambourn this morning, they always do it so late in the year, but c'est la vie. Decided to stay on and fish. Flows are still pretty to very good and the river in general looks amazing considering the aquifers have only had 50% of last winters rainfall, I think the abstraction rates by Thames twatfaceWater are lower this year thankfully.

No fish to the dry today, although had quite a few splashy attempts by the smaller fish at the klink, one lovely OOS Grayling and 21 trout so pas mal for 4 hours on the river.

A few more swallows around now, and my 1st brood of quackers for Spring...
Quackers.jpg

Mrtrout

I’ve got that reel as well for the new LL Rod, it’s mint as I type but I’m in fear of taking it out now.
I’ll get over it, nice catch rate there A well done sir.
S.

bibio1st

Talked the wife into an after tea walk through a local park that just happens to have a small river running through, took a rod of course with more hope than expectation, nothing rising on the walk down but spotted a few fishy looking small run to have a cast in on the way back up, the water was very shallow so dry fly only, the second to last spot had a over hanging bush with a gap just where the tasty water was, third attempt and got it in the sweet spot and a nice trout about 8oz took the fly, unfortunately 2-3 seconds later it was off, after doing an impression of Hugh Grant’s 4 weddings and a funeral, bu&&er, bu&&er, I gain composure and had another cast not expecting another but a very small brown took pity on me and stayed on, unfortunately my wife had my phone and couldn’t take a picture as she was being hassled by a dog, but I was very happy with two on and one landed.

Steve.

colliedog

Borders river today. Scorchio with not cloud in the sky water very low and clear but not as cold as has been. The minnows and sticklebacks were active in the margins which I always take as an encouraging sign. A morning of nymphing produced only a 4" grayling. A rapala as we call it for obvious reasons.
Afternoon there was a brief flurry of olives and I found a steady rising fish which i got and thereafter lost another. Nice fish a bit over a pound, still a bit in the thin side.

20210417_212620.jpg

Any chance of more ended when wife and daughter called to say they were coming down to join me. At least they brought donuts.

eddleston123

Borders river today. Scorchio with not cloud in the sky water very low and clear but not as cold as has been. The minnows and sticklebacks were active in the margins which I always take as an encouraging sign. A morning of nymphing produced only a 4" grayling. A rapala as we call it for obvious reasons.
Afternoon there was a brief flurry of olives and I found a steady rising fish which i got and thereafter lost another. Nice fish a bit over a pound, still a bit in the thin side.

View attachment 38300

Any chance of more ended when wife and daughter called to say they were coming down to join me. At least they brought donuts.
Well, you didn't blank and had some action. Well done.

These are very important factors in a days fishing - But, of more importance is - The donuts!!

Douglas

eddleston123

codyarrow

Loch Calder today.
IMG_1899 (2).JPG

Fairly decent day, but nothing rose for the first three hours. Tried out the new to me Maxia TC4 9ft 5wt. First impression was 'it's not there' - never had a rod so light, could fish all day without the aches and pains that come with the 11fter.
Had a mackay on point, march brown wet middle and hells half hog on top. Headed into the shallowest bay, which is left of the picture. Lost one fish fairly quickly.
Another 15 mins and a couple of bites later the rod was broken in.
IMG_1903 (2).JPG

Fish on the boat to the march brown so time to experiment with the new toys and flies tied this winter. First was a cheap yellow 'Lucky' brand fish finder, which I only want for depth. My advice is DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER BUYING ONE. It was reading 12 ft here.
IMG_1908 (2).JPG

The depth there is somewhere between 40 -60ft, which is quite a margin of error. I suspect if I jumped out of the boat in the place it was showing 3.5 ft I would not be writing this. :giggle:

Next thing I tried was the large flies made for ferox. All were castable, but not much fun - back to the tying table for something lighter.

Last experiment was the lead core shooting head I made. Not cast one for thirty years and it was just as bad as I remembered. Too heavy. Will take that to the loch near the house and chop a few inches off at a time until it feels good.

Fished on for a further couple of hours and increased the take and hook up rate (but not landing) by adding the scottish purist wet fly called a Mc Humoungus. Still cold so they need a big fly to make the energy reward equation work I guess? Maybe not enough energy to set the hook though? Should have took the advice of the osprey that flew off to the other loch near by.:giggle: Lost five.

codyarrow

cody, when it comes to the fish/depth finder, could it have been set to read meters and not feet?
Well done on the catching. 🎣
No it was on feet. The recognised brands run to about £150 -200. This one was £25. I'll play around with it and give it another chance, but I'm not overly optimistic.

mebu

Out today on a stretch I don't know very well (fished it in winter maybe 4 years ago). All tackled up, walk to the water and find I have left wading staff at home. Now the Dee is quite low, but fairly strong current and rocky bottom, I really rely on a staff. Managed to find a half suitable stick in wooded area.
Almost as soon in the water, when much hatching off (grannom I think), team of 3 spiders on, then a tweek, pull or fish almost every cast, unfortunately mostly small oos grayling, couple of baby browns. Noticeable that almost all took stripped peacock quill. While trying to hold staff, rod and fish in net, inevitable that something goes, staff went sailing downstream.
Back in the woods to find another staff, but no joy. Those on the ground brittle and easily snap, those on trees too bendy to break or detach.
Walked downstream to a beachy area, slower/deeper water, little coming off here, few rises so spiders cast out, had a few plucks and couple of again small grayling with couple of small trout.Tried a small ptn, 1 small grayling and 1 small trout. Further downstream again, couple of grayling I would be very happy with in season, but no more trout.
As time getting on, decided to walk back upstream, maybe spend last half hour on first pool. Saw another angler mid river where I had had number of fish earlier.

Me: from the bank " morning, there's a lot of fish there, mainly grayling, any good?"

Him - 'ad a few

Me: "are you working up or downstream?"

Him - be here for a while yet

Me "should I come in hundred yards above you then?

Him - muttered something.

Me, under breath. Miserable beggar. Most anglers I meet are a bit more chummy (same club).

Went in a good 150 yards upstream of him,
had a couple of smallies, again on stripped quill spiders, decided to pack in.

2 visits now, pestered by small oos grayling and baby browns but not a "real" brown trout yet. Must try harder?

Latest posts