Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

wobbly face

I've not had a grayling only session this season. :eek: And as per jaybee, distance the problem. There is a local river (once very heavily polluted) but access is difficult and then you have to find the fish ..... if any!!! Plus the weather. Just about been able to keep ticking over, read a few books and articles online, seen quite few vids and tied a few new flies to try.

jaybeegee

That’s a shame B, luckily I’m ok but the rivers are up and down, once it settles I’ll get out.
S.
Good luck Steven, the rivers down here are dropping quickly enough. I can be on good grayling water in twenty minutes but it’s ‘out of my local area’. Like york1e I’m spending time at the vice. A funny old year, my club subs renewal came the other day and due to the disruption last season it’s half price. I thought that with the lack of revenue from day tickets we really should not expect a reduction, maybe there’s a worry about losing members.
B

Mrtrout

Good luck Steven, the rivers down here are dropping quickly enough. I can be on good grayling water in twenty minutes but it’s ‘out of my local area’. Like york1e I’m spending time at the vice. A funny old year, my club subs renewal came the other day and due to the disruption last season it’s half price. I thought that with the lack of revenue from day tickets we really should not expect a reduction, maybe there’s a worry about losing members.
B
That’s a nice gesture B, but the rents still have to be paid and all the other expenses that go with it. I don’t think we could afford to do that unless we can get some rent reductions and knowing Cumbrian farmers that’s unlikely.
I was told the other day that Yorkshire FFC have stopped fishing on all their waters during lock down?
S.

sean freeman

Same as above really, a mate is sorting a syndicate on an amazing brownie loch and hopefully another loch to follow so I’ve been tying flies for that and got myself a float tube to fish them. Fingers crossed I’ll be there in April and I can get a report on here.

My local river got hammered during lockdown one but I know there are chub, barbel and grayling (brownies too) in there where people fish without waders. Have never bothered fishing it though as I prefer solitude. Even compared to the other urban rivers I fish during the trout season it’s a busy spot locally.

eddleston123

I don't do a lot of grayling fishing - perhaps only 4-6 sessions a year - Here is my question.

Does anyone have experience of catching grayling in a spate or a falling muddy river, or do they just turn off in these circumstances.

I've never fished for grayling in a coloured, high river - I am only asking because I have not managed any grayling fishing this year due to continual high water - I have never fished for them at the edges of a muddy spate.

If I thought that it would be worthwhile I might be encouraged to give it a chuck!!

Douglas

wobbly face

Hi Douglas.
I've not been out doing out and out grayling this season due to covid and distance I have to travel.
I have fished and caught grayling in high water, just have to look for slower water, bankside edges, back eddies, any parts that may be less coloured i.e a feeder stream running clear and fish the seam between the coloured and clear. Use flies hat stand out, either very bright or jet black.
If targeting the edges, look for tree roots that bulge out as the water behind will be slower. Try along reed beds or behind them. The grayling will also be stuck to the bottom, again where the water flow is lessened.
Obviously, if there is no water clarity then no use fishing or if water way too high and rushing through, get's too dangerous.

jaybeegee

I don't do a lot of grayling fishing - perhaps only 4-6 sessions a year - Here is my question.

Does anyone have experience of catching grayling in a spate or a falling muddy river, or do they just turn off in these circumstances.

I've never fished for grayling in a coloured, high river - I am only asking because I have not managed any grayling fishing this year due to continual high water - I have never fished for them at the edges of a muddy spate.

If I thought that it would be worthwhile I might be encouraged to give it a chuck!!

Douglas
I had a couple of sessions before lockdown where the river was a couple of feet above normal and coloured. The first time caught me by surprise in that I’d expected a clearing water and I almost went straight back home, but thought what the hell....while I’m here.... I set up a couple of heavy nymphs and trundled them around an eddy on a tight line and had a few grayling and lost what I think was a good oos trout. Just the same idea as a floatfished worm in the same conditions. The takes were really positive but if the fish get into the main current you are in trouble.
B
Edit. Ged and Steven beat me to it. 🙂

D

Deleted member 90002

B
Maybe they lowered the price to attract more members.. Hope you will get a cast at some stage.
Stay sage all.
G.

D

Deleted member 90002

Thanks for replies.

The problem is, I suppose, the colour of the water, it is not entirely muddy or entirely clear.

The other problem is that I keep making excuses - Too cold - Too high - Too coloured -

I'll just need to make an effort and get out there!!

Douglas
Do it safely Douglas.. And I'll await an update.

Mr Notherone

Feeling like my fishing mojo is on the up. Not too many weeks to go now and all fingers crossed.

Tony Pesci

Had my first jab today (classed as extremely clinically vulnerable) so hoping to get some lessons when they ease lockdown!

Loaded my reel for the first time and was all finger and thumbs as well as shaking like a leaf (a med side effect!) Managed slightly less than perfect Uni and Nail knots and will load a tapered leader once I know where I be having the lessons!

D

Deleted member 90002

Had my first jab today (classed as extremely clinically vulnerable) so hoping to get some lessons when they ease lockdown!

Loaded my reel for the first time and was all finger and thumbs as well as shaking like a leaf (a med side effect!) Managed slightly less than perfect Uni and Nail knots and will load a tapered leader once I know where I be having the lessons!
Good luck with all lad stay sage and we await your updates.

Latest posts