Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

eddleston123

I spent a couple of miserable hours on the reservoir today - swirling winds coming from varying direction (always signifies the kiss of death for fishing on this reservoir) 5-6 degrees - blo0dy cold.

Not even a nip. Would have fished longer, but what put the cap on it for me was a heavy shower of hailstones. I could feel them bouncing on my head through my hat. The weather forecast for this area was a mile out today. According to the weather forecast the next couple of days its time for building an ark!!

I think I'll just wait for the warmer weather - Maybe!

Douglas

wobbly face

Eventually had my first river trip of the year. :)🎣
Great to meet up with a few guys for the day and bumped into an ex forum member from a few years back. (y)
Onto the fishing, it was bl00dy tough but we all caught, some of us managed to avoid the grayling:giggle: and catch on a dry. ;) We also had to avoid catching ducklings and wagtails that actually went for the dries. On the whole, there wasn't that much activity both above and below the surface. Shallow and very clear water which is still cold doesn't help, neither do dogs and kids. But, it was an enjoyable day for all. (y) Today was one for learning.
Sporadic hatches of olives throughout the day, a case of see a rise and go for it. Plus some search and probe.

wobbly face

Bit chilly Douglas, certainly could tell the difference when under cloud cover. Bit of rain but no hail.
Finally had a full session with my Marryat 9.6ft 3/4, new reel and line (Cortland Sylk) though only used a French leader. New waders and new landing net (Living The Dream). The net isn't ideal for fast water though due to it's rim thickness.

codyarrow

Temps are all over the place. Hailstones in Wick Sat morning. Went 40 miles west and was in a T shirt by 2.00pm.
Boat booked tomorrow on the big boys loch, but looking at the weather it is probably a waste of effort? The moss clearance off the roof might be the better bet.

Mrtrout

Bit chilly Douglas, certainly could tell the difference when under cloud cover. Bit of rain but no hail.
Finally had a full session with my Marryat 9.6ft 3/4, new reel and line (Cortland Sylk) though only used a French leader. New waders and new landing net (Living The Dream). The net isn't ideal for fast water though due to it's rim thickness.
You must have looked like an exhibit from Norris’s window display. :ROFLMAO:
S.

Mrtrout

Not quite Steven.
Had my Bastard boots on, Aldi workman gillet, Craghopper fleece jumper and Sealand cap (oops, JN bought) with my Overboard small (12 ltr) rucksack. 😛
I hate going out in new gear, waders especially, will they leak, will I rip them, does my bum look big in them, and oh no I’ve got them muddy. :LOL:
S.

heathenwoods

The Wye's very low and clear but yesterday I was determined to see my son catch a trout. Long story short? He didn't. We tried. Oh, how we tried. I'd tied a few flies the previous evening for him. Some hackled beadhead nymphs for a lovely deep pool that usually has a willing fish or two. But being a bank holiday weekend the parking for the lower river was rammed full. The pool I was banking on is on the lower river. So, into the wilder upper river we went. I know a #16 DHx (x=anything sedge, emerger, etc) will catch there.

We eased into the day, getting him used to wading up the river. I took one brownie on a #18 parachute Adams upstream on the slightest of riffles. With a blank avoided I could focus on his fishing. We fished every possible pool and all broken water. Highlights included me crawling upstream a little way and then eating a sandwich while I watched three nice rainbows continually dancing around each other in a shallow pool. I got my lad to come up carefully, 'Keep low.' 'Keep low, son'. For a normally mildly truculent teen he did great and slithered into position on the bank below me. 'Don't spook them, son.' Now, I'd already got him casting sideways because of tree cover but this section was slightly open above. Perhaps I should have tried one last, 'Keep low.' Up went his rod, off went the 'bows'...

As we made our way up the river I kept pointing out the best place to a fly. He nearly hit the mark a few times but was casting anywhere but where I was trying to describe. Four times I ended up saying, 'Son, give me your rod, let me show you where I mean.' Every time a fish came up for the fly. The best/worst was a beautiful rainbow of about 10-12", fantasically coloured, that I 'stole' (as he put it) during a hail shower that was tending towards snow. I wanted to get a quick snap of it but in the end I decided not to celebrate the fish he might have caught.

On our way back to the car we took a long detour so we could try a banker pool again. He'd got his fly stuck at the head of the pool (easily done) and had to walk upstream to get it on the way up and almost certainly spooked the fish in there. By this point I'd learned to cast a few feet to the side of the magic spot and say 'a foot or so to the right of there, son'. So, this time there were no stolen fish and his fly was landing where it needed to. Good casting, son! Except his attention wandered a few times and he kept losing sight of his fly in the broken water. Five times a fish took his fly and each time he missed it. Next time, lad, next time. So, no fish for him. But there's always next time. And we laughed like drains all afternoon so a good day nonetheless.

IMG_20210501_210535_642.jpg
IMG_20210501_210535_721.jpg

Mrtrout

The Wye's very low and clear but yesterday I was determined to see my son catch a trout. Long story short? He didn't. We tried. Oh, how we tried. I'd tied a few flies the previous evening for him. Some hackled beadhead nymphs for a lovely deep pool that usually has a willing fish or two. But being a bank holiday weekend the parking for the lower river was rammed full. The pool I was banking on is on the lower river. So, into the wilder upper river we went. I know a #16 DHx (x=anything sedge, emerger, etc) will catch there.

We eased into the day, getting him used to wading up the river. I took one brownie on a #18 parachute Adams upstream on the slightest of riffles. With a blank avoided I could focus on his fishing. We fished every possible pool and all broken water. Highlights included me crawling upstream a little way and then eating a sandwich while I watched three nice rainbows continually dancing around each other in a shallow pool. I got my lad to come up carefully, 'Keep low.' 'Keep low, son'. For a normally mildly truculent teen he did great and slithered into position on the bank below me. 'Don't spook them, son.' Now, I'd already got him casting sideways because of tree cover but this section was slightly open above. Perhaps I should have tried one last, 'Keep low.' Up went his rod, off went the 'bows'...

As we made our way up the river I kept pointing out the best place to a fly. He nearly hit the mark a few times but was casting anywhere but where I was trying to describe. Four times I ended up saying, 'Son, give me your rod, let me show you where I mean.' Every time a fish came up for the fly. The best/worst was a beautiful rainbow of about 10-12", fantasically coloured, that I 'stole' (as he put it) during a hail shower that was tending towards snow. I wanted to get a quick snap of it but in the end I decided not to celebrate the fish he might have caught.

On our way back to the car we took a long detour so we could try a banker pool again. He'd got his fly stuck at the head of the pool (easily done) and had to walk upstream to get it on the way up and almost certainly spooked the fish in there. By this point I'd learned to cast a few feet to the side of the magic spot and say 'a foot or so to the right of there, son'. So, this time there were no stolen fish and his fly was landing where it needed to. Good casting, son! Except his attention wandered a few times and he kept losing sight of his fly in the broken water. Five times a fish took his fly and each time he missed it. Next time, lad, next time. So, no fish for him. But there's always next time. And we laughed like drains all afternoon so a good day nonetheless.

View attachment 38766View attachment 38767
It’s a big learning curve as you are aware, I do hope he catches a couple soon, it’s vital to keep them interested.
Next time eh?
S.

heathenwoods

It’s a big learning curve as you are aware, I do hope he catches a couple soon, it’s vital to keep them interested.
Next time eh?
S.
Cheers. He's getting takes he just needs to convert them into hook-ups. As you say, next time.

Dominikk85

View attachment 38766View attachment 38767
Looks like a great river

diawl bach

img_20210504_150045-jpg.38859

Up the club pond yesterday, greeted by a hail storm and a cold northerly wind.

Found some shelter at the wooded end but the fish were sulking and the little perch I hooked on my second cast was the only one to show any interest in a succession of offerings.
IMG_20210504_153044.jpg

IMG_20210504_151912.jpg

Still, good to be out despite the unseasonably cold weather, the wind was certainly fresh and the bird song uplifting, a green woodpecker was yammering all afternoon, the first one I've heard this year.

img_20210504_170908-jpg.38861

Attachments

• IMG_20210504_150045.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20210504_170908.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 197
Last edited:

lavo85

What exactly is going on with this weather??

the rain has eased but no we are faced with snow, hail, showers and thunder all wrapped up in a freezing cold wing.

Crazy.

Latest posts