Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

spotty herbert

Just back from the Loddon as had the choice of fishing today or tomorrow, and given today had a nice light breeze and although bright, was generally cloudy I chose today, and yup I was happy I chose today.

I'm not the greatest dry fly fisherman, given I'm usually a klink and dink pleb but certainly got lucky today with a fantastic hatch of small dark olives, matched vaguely to size with a #16 parachute adams.

After a good but slowish start the hatch started at about 1pm and the fish were seriously on them. Slightly surprising given it was only 13c. It almost got to the stage at times where I was surprised not to catch when landing the fly where you thought there would be a fish or had been a rising fish.

29 fish to hand, certainly was a day of more than one red letter.

I also think I have found my new match made in heaven set up, some of you may recognise the reel (thanks G), and the rod is a Campanella 7'8" #4, which weighs less than 1.5oz. Stunningly well-matched lightweight outfit, and an absolute joy to use.View attachment 39188View attachment 39189

Great stuff Alex

I guess you were at Keepers today?

Cheers

Sean

eddleston123

I walked the banks of the upper Tweed today. Spoke to an angler who said that he had tried every method in the book, but had caught rugger ball, even although the conditions were almost perfect.

There was an absolute blizzard of grannom flying upstream, but no rises. Perhaps they were gorging themselves on the pupae.

It was a lovely afternoon, so I took some pics.

Douglas

I was pleased with this pic - taken on full zoom - hope he was having better luck than the anglers!

1621021294911.png

The banks were very colourful with clumps of marsh marigolds
A lovely flower.

Last edited:

beetlebum

Managed to get out fishing this evening for 3 hours or so.Hardly any breeze but fished a pair of bibios as there were Hawthorn flies about. Had 5 fish and lost as many again with the best being this at 2lb13oz...my PB for a wild brown. Absolutely chuffed😁

Attachments

• IMG_20210514_185911.jpg
    IMG_20210514_185911.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 67

shortcircuit

Lovely morning fishing just now river had a bit f colour and there was a steady trickle of olives hatching. Had maybe ten fish some on nymphs under a dry and also a couple of targeted ones on a solo dry fly which is always satisfying.

The nicest fish was 11 inches, this one which was an absolutely stunning fish with the red spots, red tipped fin and blue on the gill plate

20210516_143510.jpg

mebu

Funny 'ol day today.

Conditions were fine: river dropping after rising from recent low level, clear with a slight tinge, high cloud overhead and upstream gentle wind.
Went to a stretch I've visited recently and had many small fish, baby grayling and trout/salmon parr literally by the dozen. After 2 hours on spiders and nymphs, not a touch and didn't see a single rise.
Eventually got a 12" brown on orange and partridge, saved the blank. Soon after, met a salmon angler who said a couple of expert comp anglers upstream had had nothing between them. Don't like to hear of others misfortunes but that news did make me feel better, not just me then.
Continued for another couple of hours, no real hatches just infrequent odd flies coming off. Thought I saw 1 fish rise but that was it. Could have stayed longer but didn't seem any point.

Just the one brown for the day.
At least can now have a quick pint on the way home.

Peter

bibio1st

A bit of a drive for one fish, I've been tempted to get over to the top PAAS stretch but a 160 mile round trip:rolleyes:, I'll wait until I have some time off.

Steve

Vintage Badger

Somehow I posted this clip from yesterday in the 2019 thread?
anyway this is a Polish friend Peter and his brother Voss fishing on the Appleby AA stretch of the Lyvennet yesterday on the dry.
A-lovely fish estimated at 2.5 to 3lbs.
A very enjoyable clip, but for future reference, can you please suggest that the person with the smartphone turns it on its side to record the video in landscape format, rather than portrait?

Please don't take that suggestion the wrong way and think I'm being overly critical; but video just looks so much better when filmed in landscape format; plus the smartphone can be held more easily using both hands when it's on its side, which reduces camera shake and helps when panning and following the action.

Plus, when it's uploaded to YouTube, TikTok or whatever, it doesn't end up with acres of blank space either side of the video, with the subject of interest being lost somewhere in the middle distance. (y)

Last edited:

Mrtrout

A very enjoyable clip, but for future reference, can you please suggest that the person with the smartphone turns it on its side to record the video in landscape format, rather than portrait?

Please don't take that suggestion the wrong way and think I'm being overly critical; but video just looks so much better when filmed in landscape format; plus the smartphone can be held more easily using both hands when it's on its side, which reduces camera shake and helps when panning and following the action.

Plus, when it's uploaded to YouTube, TikTok or whatever, it doesn't end up with acres of blank space either side of the video, with the subject of interest being lost somewhere in the middle distance. (y)
Thank you for that, it was me that quickly started videoing it when he first hooked it. In my panic I never thought, but I also hate all that blank space either side. I’m far from technical with I phones but I’ll remember that for next time. ;)
S.

Vintage Badger

Thank you for that, it was me that quickly started videoing it when he first hooked it. In my panic I never thought, but I also hate all that blank space either side. I’m far from technical with I phones but I’ll remember that for next time. ;)
S.
Best of luck and I'll look forward to the next video... another good tip, don't concentrate too much, trip over something and drop your phone in the water! (y)

esk

I've been fishing in the Torridon area for the last few days and its been damn hard going. Cool breeze and bright sunshine. I'm usually here in June and the fish are much livelier.

There's been quite a lot of adult olives sitting on top of the water but nothing seems to be interested in the free buffet.

I did see an absolute whopper slobbing around the shallows in one of the larger lochins but it slipped back into the depths as I approached.

Bit more cloud today but still quite chilly.

If you have visions of wild kamikaze trout throwing themselves at your flies then it ain't happening here!

Euan

GEK79

S.
Lovely piece of water MrT.. Lovely to see new fishing and well done to Peter what a great day.. Keep posting the vids.. 👍

Rhithrogena

S.
Nice little film S, Ta! Perfectly watchable in full screen on a phone 👍

icaughtafishonce

Finally opened my account on the rivers this year. Got down to my local to see it fairly high and rather muddy. But as it's a short walk and it was dropping, thought I'd give it a bash anyway. I'll be honest, with things being much warmer, I'd really been hoping for a nice evening of dry flys. Anyway, decided as I normally do in this situation to just dangle a fly in the margins. The river was wadable, but only just. Second "cast" right under the rod tip and managed to nab a nice brownie. Very happy, not a bad size either. Had another take about 15 minutes later on, but didn't manage to land it, think that was probably cause it was quite a way downstream and I was pulling up due to a tree being in the way. Never sure what I can do different in that kind of situation. Both on a butcher, which has become my go-to wet fly as it always seems to get a take even when the river seems totally asleep.

Mrtrout

Quite a pleasant day today apart from a heavy shower this morning so I popped down to my local river at 2.30pm.
A few LDOs were coming off and quite a few crane flies in the air.
I spotted a rising fish immediately so tied on a deer hair comparadun of my own tying.
Several casts up the fool and I hooked a cracker of a trout for this small river, hell of a tussle before I netted him, first fish on a new rod as well, good omen I hope. He was 3lbs and in great condition.
532BE900-CE1A-4869-AFFF-54C42C3C6F59.jpeg

Sulking on the stream bed for a few minutes before he shot off.
D2815389-A4E9-4B41-845E-D0F692774442.jpeg

I managed a second much smaller trout ten minutes later, I left the pool to rest for half an hour as I’d seen another fish higher up.
I dropped a couple of hundred yards downstream and noticed what I thought was a small fish just topping in a back eddy on the far bank.
A back cast wasn’t possible as I was under a large tree so I roll cast to him and fourth cast he sipped it in, I struck expecting a pound fish but was in for a surprise as he shot off downstream, I was trying to get my line back on the reel as I think he was going to put up a good fight.
He shot back up the pool and leapt a good two feet showing himself, a big cock brownie of at least 3lbs plus, one big head shake and he was off, my hook shot up into the branches and I lost the lot right down to the Furlie.
I returned to the first pool and managed a third around a pound before calling it a day.
I was very chuffed that my fly worked so well, and the new rod performed so well.
S.

Rhithrogena

Quite a pleasant day today apart from a heavy shower this morning so I popped down to my local river at 2.30pm.
A few LDOs were coming off and quite a few crane flies in the air.
I spotted a rising fish immediately so tied on a deer hair comparadun of my own tying.
Several casts up the fool and I hooked a cracker of a trout for this small river, hell of a tussle before I netted him, first fish on a new rod as well, good omen I hope. He was 3lbs and in great condition.
View attachment 39352

Sulking on the stream bed for a few minutes before he shot off.
View attachment 39353

I managed a second much smaller trout ten minutes later, I left the pool to rest for half an hour as I’d seen another fish higher up.
I dropped a couple of hundred yards downstream and noticed what I thought was a small fish just topping in a back eddy on the far bank.
A back cast wasn’t possible as I was under a large tree so I roll cast to him and fourth cast he sipped it in, I struck expecting a pound fish but was in for a surprise as he shot off downstream, I was trying to get my line back on the reel as I think he was going to put up a good fight.
He shot back up the pool and leapt a good two feet showing himself, a big cock brownie of at least 3lbs plus, one big head shake and he was off, my hook shot up into the branches and I lost the lot right down to the Furlie.
I returned to the first pool and managed a third around a pound before calling it a day.
I was very chuffed that my fly worked so well, and the new rod performed so well.
S.
Good angling indeed! I need a holiday in Cumbria!!
With all the rain we've had in Cornwall I am hoping for a seatrout, the only chance I'll get at a river 3lb'er.
I knew some Cumbrian rivers held good Browns, I didn't realise they had LOTS of them 😳