Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

Oldbones

Out yesterday on the Aberdeenshhire Don.
Just as daylight was going, I caught this on a size 12 teal and black.
IMG_3272.JPG

14 attempt.jpg

Mrtrout

This week I had my old and good friend Sir Rodney Dibble here, we fished together for four days solid, only one day did I leave him alone due to family commitments.
The weather has been glorious if you’re a sun bather, swimmer or walker but for fishing it’s been diabolic.
Hot bright sun downstream wind and very low crystal clear water has made things awkward to say the least.
We gave it everything we had but unfortunately we had little return for our efforts. on Wednesday we resorted to spiders as not one fish rose all day, Rod had a couple of small ones and lost a few more.
I hooked a decent fish on a partridge and orange but alas we parted company within a few seconds, still we’ve had a great time, talking rubbish and laughing about a few things, always a pleasure to be in Rods company.
Theres always next time Rod, it’ll be better next time, I promise.😜
A. Quick pic of the master in action gently swinging a few spiders.
E8706C46-F867-4D99-B7D0-298E86DE166F.jpeg

S.

mebu

Out today for the first time, for the morning, this season on the little Cheshire river, after having been on the big Welsh river several times. Totally different.
What a delight to be using the 6'9" Echo glass rod, little delicate casts under overhanging trees. Was surprised how many trees in the river from the winter floods, changed many of the pools and runs.
Through occasional hatches of upwings and a few mayflies, the fish didn't seem interested in them, just about every rise seen was under a branch or bush, retrieving a fly from a bush confirmed greenfly, looks like the fish were locked onto them. Of course, when this happened last season and I meant to tie some up, others got in the way so I didn't have any. Took a few though on next best, small foam beetles, also a gold hare's ear on a deeper pool.

Some lovely fish, didn't take any photos as I prefer not to.

At least can now stop on the way home for a quick rehydration.

Peter

jaybeegee

Today I went off to the Nidd for the first time this season and it turned out to be a day of firsts. It’s about a mile of river below the confluence with How Stean Beck, running over limestone, mostly in a tree tunnel and only a beck itself really. First time out for my little brook rod, a six foot Hardy Flyweight bought last year from a forum member and I think never fished until today, a furled leader - a gift to help christen the rod 👍 and a black para tied on an emerger hook. I worked upstream, mostly pocket water and there was an odd fish rising and then a hatch of some upwing I couldn’t identify but a Kite’s was near enough and it brought my first fish of the season on a dry fly from a run below a wall and christened the little rod, a plump ten inch Nidd trout…lovely.
09662EEB-9AA0-4994-A910-A180701DE961.jpeg

Further up on a slow stretch there were two fish feeding steadily but I put them down as I got into range, so stood still for fifteen minutes until they showed again. The nearest took a Klink and went berserk, it put a proper bend in the 2 weight before it came to the net, a cracking fat fifteen inch fish. It’s rising on the top right of this pic below under the tree. 🙂
Finally at the top of the stretch, another half pounder to the klink and two more missed. Lovely day.
B

12F71703-E78C-4269-B1FF-BAB4A324C2C9.jpeg

eddleston123

Today I went off to the Nidd for the first time this season and it turned out to be a day of firsts. It’s about a mile of river below the confluence with How Stean Beck, running over limestone, mostly in a tree tunnel and only a beck itself really. First time out for my little brook rod, a six foot Hardy Flyweight bought last year from a forum member and I think never fished until today, a furled leader - a gift to help christen the rod 👍 and a black para tied on an emerger hook. I worked upstream, mostly pocket water and there was an odd fish rising and then a hatch of some upwing I couldn’t identify but a Kite’s was near enough and it brought my first fish of the season on a dry fly from a run below a wall and christened the little rod, a plump ten inch Nidd trout…lovely.
View attachment 39872
Further up on a slow stretch there were two fish feeding steadily but I put them down as I got into range, so stood still for fifteen minutes until they showed again. The nearest took a Klink and went berserk, it put a proper bend in the 2 weight before it came to the net, a cracking fat fifteen inch fish. It’s rising on the top right of this pic below under the tree. 🙂
Finally at the top of the stretch, another half pounder to the klink and two more missed. Lovely day.
B

View attachment 39874

The stream looks very low and crystal clear.

You did well with what you caught.

These fish would have been easily spooked.

Douglas

Oldbones

View attachment 39872
B

View attachment 39874
Stunning and thank you, The Nidd, fished it many a time, it is stunning as you have so brilliantly shown.
I think I know that very part of the river, if not that part its a very close replica of the part I have fished.
Six foot two weight and some dries would be all you need.
Brings back some very nice memories for me.
Thank you.

eddleston123

Enjoyed a good session down at the reservoir today. Ended up into double figures.
Four biggest 12'' 14'' 14'' and a thumper @15'' - Although they are hardly specimens they are good sized fish for this reservoir.

Caught two within twenty minutes - then another hour passed and nothing doing. Tried various methods inc. dry fly, stripped sedge, different wets, retrieves etc. --I eventually cracked the code - couldn't go wrong for the last couple of hours.

A pretty much perfect day, except for a group of surf boarders, who didn't really bother me as far as the fishing was concerned, but they were making some noise and began to get on my nerves.
Not a lot of litter today, but I would suspect that there would be more at the other side were the footpath runs. I was fishing the road side today, because of the wind direction.

Now the difficult bit - uploading the pics. Be patient.

Douglas

Seem to have caught three different strains/colourations of trout today.

Best of the day @15'' and quite fat - Poor picture though

Lots of flowers coming out now - These are a clump of Yellow Poppies.

I've never heard so much unnecessary shouting in all life.

The fish are now putting on the weight. All fish in reasonable condition.

Last edited:

boisker

Fished up the West Dart and Cherry Brook today... very few fish showing, some days fish will be scattering all up the Cherry Brook... I think I spooked 2 from the bank today, in about 3 miles of water! You can do that on the first pool normally... but even without lots of fish a stunning spot to be,,, and I got to try my new mini-mo Jetboil.... fresh espresso on the riverside... nice
West Dart-

and the Cherry Brook

i was surprised there wasn’t more of a hatch up the latter part of the West Dart and up the Cherry Brook as it had clouded over, drizzle and was still 16C.... maybe next time:)

Rhithrogena

Enjoyed a good session down at the reservoir today. Ended up into double figures.
Four biggest 12'' 14'' 14'' and a thumper @15'' - Although they are hardly specimens they are good sized fish for this reservoir.

Caught two within twenty minutes - then another hour passed and nothing doing. Tried various methods inc. dry fly, stripped sedge, different wets, retrieves etc. --I eventually cracked the code - couldn't go wrong for the last couple of hours.

A pretty much perfect day, except for a group of surf boarders, who didn't really bother me as far as the fishing was concerned, but they were making some noise and began to get on my nerves.
Not a lot of litter today, but I would suspect that there would be more at the other side were the footpath runs. I was fishing the road side today, because of the wind direction.

Now the difficult bit - uploading the pics. Be patient.

Douglas

Seem to have caught three different strains/colourations of trout today.

Best of the day @15'' and quite fat - Poor picture though

Lots of flowers coming out now - These are a clump of Yellow Poppies.

I've never heard so much unnecessary shouting in all life.

The fish are now putting on the weight. All fish in reasonable condition.
Cracking day Douglas! Good pics too!

Cam

This week I had my old and good friend Sir Rodney Dibble here, we fished together for four days solid, only one day did I leave him alone due to family commitments.
The weather has been glorious if you’re a sun bather, swimmer or walker but for fishing it’s been diabolic.
Hot bright sun downstream wind and very low crystal clear water has made things awkward to say the least.
We gave it everything we had but unfortunately we had little return for our efforts. on Wednesday we resorted to spiders as not one fish rose all day, Rod had a couple of small ones and lost a few more.
I hooked a decent fish on a partridge and orange but alas we parted company within a few seconds, still we’ve had a great time, talking rubbish and laughing about a few things, always a pleasure to be in Rods company.
Theres always next time Rod, it’ll be better next time, I promise.😜
A. Quick pic of the master in action gently swinging a few spiders.
View attachment 39869
S.

We were out at Sandford on Thursday Evening. I was hopeful that there would be some good surface activity but although it was cloudy the wind was a little chilly.

Saw and cast to a few rises with emergers but with little interest.

I eventually got a nice take, watched a good sized fish take the fly and head up-stream at a rapid pace and then the fly and line parted (I suspect operator error when tying the fly on).

A fleeting glimpse of a nice fish, I can still see it now !!!

Cam