Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

eddleston123

Hi Scotty,

The streams that I tend to fish - run from West to East, and so does the wind as off late - which means fishing a dry fly upstream is very difficult - I'm sure a better stamp of angler would overcome this, but I like to take the easy way out and go when a wind is blowing at my back.

Anyway, I have a cunning plan for next week!

Douglas

Scotty Mitchell

Hi Scotty,

The streams that I tend to fish - run from West to East, and so does the wind as off late - which means fishing a dry fly upstream is very difficult - I'm sure a better stamp of angler would overcome this, but I like to take the easy way out and go when a wind is blowing at my back.

Anyway, I have a cunning plan for next week!

Douglas
Have you tried downstream dry Douglas?

eddleston123

Have you tried downstream dry Douglas?
Hi Scotty,

Yes, there are several pools in one of the streams that I fish, which lend themselves to downstream dry, and there is other methods which I use to combat a downstream wind. But, being set in my ways, I still prefer fishing a dry upstream. You can't teach an old dog new tricks and all that!

The wind direction is not so critical on a river such as the Tweed, and I'll often go there when there is a downstream hoolie blowing.

I suppose, I am lucky, in the respect that I can fish eight days a week, so I check the forecast the night before and pick the venue that will suit.

Douglas

Scotty Mitchell

Hi Scotty,

Yes, there are several pools in one of the streams that I fish, which lend themselves to downstream dry, and there is other methods which I use to combat a downstream wind. But, being set in my ways, I still prefer fishing a dry upstream. You can't teach an old dog new tricks and all that!

The wind direction is not so critical on a river such as the Tweed, and I'll often go there when there is a downstream hoolie blowing.

I suppose, I am lucky, in the respect that I can fish eight days a week, so I check the forecast the night before and pick the venue that will suit.

Douglas
Same story up here. We are certainly fortunate. Just need the weather to help us exercise that good fortune!

bibio1st

On the river this evening, low and clear, could do with some water through it, fished dries only and had a fish from the top of the first pool which was encouraging, odd mayfly coming off but no significant numbers, picked up fish here and there and lost the two better ones but an enjoyable evening, a couple of the average stamp.
C310376B-9528-42EF-8896-A16A067B3F92.jpeg

302FB4D3-7240-4748-8E3F-2F023615A9A9.jpeg

Steve

mebu

Couple of nice fish there Steve, also photographed the correct way, in the net rather than the hand.

Peter

rabmax

Hi Scotty,

Douglas
I fish downstream dry well emerger fly for grayling quite a bit.I often find grayling even harder to catch than trout on dry fly.Maybe as they rise up from the river bed to take your dry fly.They have way more time to look up & inspect your drift & fly.Down stream dry seems to put the odds more in your favour. Well i find it does for me.Cheers

eddleston123

Fished reservoir today. Felt like 30mph wind. An enjoyable enough day though, with 3 small trout.

I was slightly p#ssed off with evidence of people camping recently and another two tents today. I'm just hoping that the word doesn't get out amongst the 'wild camping' community - That would then be the baw bust for this beautiful place.

Douglas

Picture taken from the dam, sorry you will need to look close - Earlier they had a fire going which almost looked like the woods were on fire!

Evidence of further camping down the same bank.

I didn't pick up any litter today - but I suspect I'll have my work cut out next visit!

Last edited:

GEK79

Fished reservoir today. Felt like 30mph wind. An enjoyable enough day though, with 3 small trout.

I was slightly p#ssed off with evidence of people camping recently and another two tents today. I'm just hoping that the word doesn't get out amongst the 'wild camping' community - That would then be the baw bust for this beautiful place.

Douglas

Picture taken from the dam, sorry you will need to look close - Earlier they had a fire going which almost looked like the woods were on fire!

Evidence of further camping down the same bank.

I didn't pick up any litter today - but I suspect I'll have my work cut out next visit!
Glad you enjoyed your day.. Set fire to the tents. Stay safe lad..

bibio1st

A change of plan for me today, was going to fish a club reservoir with the rivers being low and clear but with the wind blowing up thought I’d chance it on the mixed fish river that I’d not been on for a month or so, not really expecting much but it fished surprisingly well, did start on the dry but soon changed for the nymphs and didn’t look back, 10 trout from the lower section and 12 from the top stretch with a early grayling also, had to stop 3 Japanese guys from spinning on the top section as I was walking down to start :rolleyes:, a fly fishing only stretch.
A couple of the better ones.
762C44D1-BE7B-424B-B402-B2BC7620F7C4.jpeg

DD05C943-E8B5-4793-A1A2-C9D3BE52A3CD.jpeg

Steve

GEK79

A change of plan for me today, was going to fish a club reservoir with the rivers being low and clear but with the wind blowing up thought I’d chance it on the mixed fish river that I’d not been on for a month or so, not really expecting much but it fished surprisingly well, did start on the dry but soon changed for the nymphs and didn’t look back, 10 trout from the lower section and 12 from the top stretch with a early grayling also, had to stop 3 Japanese guys from spinning on the top section as I was walking down to start :rolleyes:, a fly fishing only stretch.
A couple of the better ones.
View attachment 40161
View attachment 40162

Steve
Sometimes a change of plan works seems your did.. Sounds like a good day.. Lovely fish. Well done for stopping the spinning. 👍👍

lavo85

Rivers on their bones, no rain forecast either.

Hate when it goes like this.

sean freeman

A few from that last two evenings, five days of long shifts now so happy to finish on a high for the week! Had a hell of a lot of fish over a pound, the blue winged olives are starting to appear now so the evening fishing will get better and better. The next two months are the creme for me!

A0CA803B-A8A0-4FDE-9327-1EB6286330E9.jpeg

D6E37183-45BC-4F82-AC66-4325B6CAB4C6.jpeg

F3134DCF-7D8F-45F2-8F5B-7C29FE248ADE.jpeg

GEK79