Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

Mrtrout

Just back from the Lyvennet had four hours, nothing rising but a few small dark olives about.
My friend had been there since 9am and had a lovely fish about 2lbs
97170766-5B3C-4BC0-BA27-691F930392F5.jpeg
on a nymph, I followed in his footsteps but nothing doing.
River was up a bit and a bit coloured but just how I like it.
I decided to have a second run through the bridge pool but this time I put a tungsten beaded nymph on as I don’t think I was getting down quickly enough, it payed off and second cast I got a very hard fighting brownie about 1.25lbs in great condition.
Made my day catching on opening day, hope it’s a good omen for things to come. Christened my new scoop net as well.(y)
645E5E04-CA55-43F7-81C4-C5839B612050.jpeg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 90002

I got out for two hours around lunchtime today, main river was coming through fast with a fair bit of colour so after half an hour of flogging a dead horse I decided to head up a trib I’d fished last year, it’s not prolific but there’s usually a good fish to be had.

It too was carrying a bit of colour and I probably only fished it for half an hour and spent the rest of the time clambering and slipping on rocks etc. I bumped a few fish nymphing, lost one and caught one a few casts later, probably the smallest fish I’ve had from this stream but after months of not seeing a trout it was a welcome sight. With it being so slow going I jacked it in after avoiding a blank. I just enjoyed being out tbh!

View attachment 37234
Good to clear the cobwebs..

D

Deleted member 90002

Just back from the Lyvennet had four hours, nothing rising but a few small dark olives about.
My friend had been there since 9am and had a lovely fish about 1.5lbs on a nymph, I followed in his footsteps but nothing doing.
I decided to have a second run through the bridge pool but this time I put a tungsten beaded nymph on as I don’t think I was getting down quickly enough, it payed off and second cast I got a very hard fighting brownie about 1.25lbs in great condition.
Made my day catching on opening day, hope it’s a good omen for things to come.
View attachment 37235
Fabulous fish and well done MrT

jaybeegee

My friend had been there since 9am and had a lovely fish about 1.5lbs on a nymph, I followed in his footsteps but nothing doing.
Made my day catching on opening day, hope it’s a good omen for things to come.
View attachment 37235
Cracking start S, well done.
B

eddleston123

My friend had been there since 9am and had a lovely fish about 2lbs View attachment 37237on a nymph, I followed in his footsteps but nothing doing.
Made my day catching on opening day, hope it’s a good omen for things to come. Christened my new scoop net as well.(y)
View attachment 37235

Great start to the season - well done.

100 per cent better than a blank!!

Douglas

sean freeman

I saw a few olives hatching today, nothing coming up to them. I had between 20-30 fish today in a three hour session on a small stream, nothing massive but good fun on glass. The rain last night had it running coloured, almost looked like a meltwater stream!

7C46A4DB-3183-4950-A14C-E6F0FEC3276E.jpeg

20986296-BE1A-4BE8-B566-95EE2EAC5F94.jpeg

boisker

A couple of hours out this afternoon.... first time since early Nov 😏
nice and sunny.... but very gusty wind from the North... caught one and missed one...
to be honest it felt a couple of weeks too early, typical March... so quite a bit of the time I wasn’t even fishing, just seeing how the river had changed
Nice to be out :)

tierradelfuego

I saw a few olives hatching today, nothing coming up to them. I had between 20-30 fish today in a three hour session on a small stream, nothing massive but good fun on glass. The rain last night had it running coloured, almost looked like a meltwater stream!

View attachment 37268

View attachment 37267

You are so lucky Sean, that looks like an awesome snow melt stream and one I would very much enjoy in Oz, maybe just 20 degrees lower in air temp over here... but I bet the water temp isn't much different.

sean freeman

You are so lucky Sean, that looks like an awesome snow melt stream and one I would very much enjoy in Oz, maybe just 20 degrees lower in air temp over here... but I bet the water temp isn't much different.
The water was fairly cold alright, the fish were slow to start with but as the afternoon warmed up they got moving and every pocket and slack held a trout or two.
Good fun to start the season and get rid of the rusty casting!

njm

Here's my contribution. Caught yesterday on a nymph. Would have preferred to use dry flies, but no hatch at all which is hardly surprising considering clear blue sky and sun.

Nice fish, good condition apart from the scarring. Just under 2 lb I would guesstimate

Capture.JPG

D

Deleted member 90002

Here's my contribution. Caught yesterday on a nymph. Would have preferred to use dry flies, but no hatch at all which is hardly surprising considering clear blue sky and sun.

Nice fish, good condition apart from the scarring. Just under 2 lb I would guesstimate

View attachment 37344
Fine looking fish. Nice result dry fly season will be with us all soon.. 👍👍

Latest posts