Fly Fishing Forum banner
781 - 800 of 1,414 Posts
Fished the Wharfe today and it was fairly low but more water than I expected and an odd fish rising, but fairly sporadic. I worked up a favourite pool with the duo, a black magic nymph under a grey klink but not a touch until I reached the pocket water at the top where a fat ten inch fish took the nymph and then every likely looking channel produced a take though I lost a good few that got below in the current. I switched the klink for a bit of wool and ended up with five nice fish, the best thirteen inches. I really enjoy this pocket water fishing in summer but I find it increasingly more tiring, the wading is difficult in boulder strewn fast water and I'm absolutely knackered now.
Water Plant Natural landscape Branch Fluvial landforms of streams
Water Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape

B

Fished the Wharfe today and it was fairly low but more water than I expected and an odd fish rising, but fairly sporadic. I worked up a favourite pool with the duo, a black magic nymph under a grey klink but not a touch until I reached the pocket water at the top where a fat ten inch fish took the nymph and then every likely looking channel produced a take though I lost a good few that got below in the current. I switched the klink for a bit of wool and ended up with five nice fish, the best thirteen inches. I really enjoy this pocket water fishing in summer but I find it increasingly more tiring, the wading is difficult in boulder strewn fast water and I'm absolutely knackered now.
View attachment 40240 View attachment 40241
B
Sounds like a good day and wonderful surroundings.. ??

Discussion starter · #783 ·
I ventured out this afternoon it was very overcast and cool, but it hasn’t helped matters, I found the odd fish rising but no interest in my flies.
I switched to a nymph and immediately caught a nice grayling.
Appropriate really on June 16th I suppose, lots of small grayling sipping up aphids under the trees..
S.

Got out today, bit of a late start but hey ho.
Saw fish topping on arrival at the river, decided duo but with a different team to my normal. Second cast and I plonked the dry on top of a fish's head as it rose. Needless to say it didn't top again.:rolleyes:
Didn't take long and first fish, a wee brown to the nymph. Well that was that for a while. Decided to go back to tried, tested and trusted duo team. Picked up the odd fish as I went along including a small grayling. Things definitely slow, bright sunshine, quite a strong down stream breeze and very low water. Came across a smelly dead 3lb chub, a stone loach that had seen better days but it was still alive. Then a very dead sheep that stunk, a crow was getting last scraps. Last hour of fishing took a turn for the better, bit of cloud cover, slightly cooler and the fish responded. I ended the day with 6 browns, one to the dry and 3 grayling with one to the dry. The fish that took the dry were best of the day. (y)

Got out today, bit of a late start but hey ho.
Saw fish topping on arrival at the river, decided duo but with a different team to my normal. Second cast and I plonked the dry on top of a fish's head as it rose. Needless to say it didn't top again.:rolleyes:
Didn't take long and first fish, a wee brown to the nymph. Well that was that for a while. Decided to go back to tried, tested and trusted duo team. Picked up the odd fish as I went along including a small grayling. Things definitely slow, bright sunshine, quite a strong down stream breeze and very low water. Came across a smelly dead 3lb chub, a stone loach that had seen better days but it was still alive. Then a very dead sheep that stunk, a crow was getting last scraps. Last hour of fishing took a turn for the better, bit of cloud cover, slightly cooler and the fish responded. I ended the day with 6 browns, one to the dry and 3 grayling with one to the dry. The fish that took the dry were best of the day. (y)
Good day apart from dead animals.. Well done.. ??

Fished a new small river this evening, heard there may be some big browns in it, it was small 1-2 meters in most parts, started on dries and nothing doing to start, didn't see anything rising but out of the blue a fish rose to the fly but not connection, apart from the tree overhead?, 10 mins of careful quiet untangling and I was ready to try for it again, second cast it came up again and I had it, cursed when I realised it was a grayling but remembered it was the first day of the season for them, no further rises so put a small beaded nymph below and took another 5 grayling to the nymph, never saw a trout at all.
The dry fly grayling
Water Reptile Snake Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal

Steve

Fished a new small river this evening, heard there may be some big browns in it, it was small 1-2 meters in most parts, started on dries and nothing doing to start, didn't see anything rising but out of the blue a fish rose to the fly but not connection, apart from the tree overhead?, 10 mins of careful quiet untangling and I was ready to try for it again, second cast it came up again and I had it, cursed when I realised it was a grayling but remembered it was the first day of the season for them, no further rises so put a small beaded nymph below and took another 5 grayling to the nymph, never saw a trout at all.
The dry fly grayling
View attachment 40282

Steve
A streamer in the deeper pools might bring a decent brown out from its hidey hole.
Nice fish nonetheless!

The dry fly grayling
View attachment 40282

Steve
I'm not keen on the look of that landing net... when scrolling slowly down to read the thread I thought for a moment you'd joined RuPaul's drag race! Now I know why people call them fishnets! ?

A few fish from the last outing. Fished for about 6 hours, ended up with 10 trouts and 2 graylings. Mixed sizes but one of the graylings was a whopper and the biggest trout was 18", both caught on a dry sedge pattern. The rest were on nymphs.
I've noticed better insect activity than last week and although fish are not rising consistently I think it is getting there.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #793 ·
Had the last few hours on the local river tonight, a few nice fish showing.
Its desperately low and clear so you have to sit still and wait, at 10.30 pm exactly I fooled this beauty on a spent spinner one of my own tyings, which is always a bonus, then walking back to the car I watched and videoed a barn owl hunting on the meadow, all in all a very pleasant evening.
Fish Salmon-like fish Oncorhynchus Fishing Marine biology

Its desperately low and clear so you have to sit still and wait, at 10.30 pm exactly I fooled this beauty on a spent spinner one of my own tyings, which is always a bonus, then walking back to the car I watched and videoed a barn owl hunting on the meadow, all in all a very pleasant evening.
View attachment 40309
Amazing fish and seeing the Barn owl hunting what a way to finish a great evening.. Well done Mrtrout

Amazing fish and seeing the Barn owl hunting what a way to finish a great evening.. Well done Mrtrout
View attachment 40309
Lovely fish Steven.
B

Reactions: Mrtrout
Discussion starter · #798 ·
Nice fish !!

Was that up near the caravan?

I am planning a few hours up there later today !!

Cam
AAA private stretch on the Lyvennet Cam.

781 - 800 of 1,414 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.