Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

Teme fisher

A couple of hours during the heat of the day on the Teme at Eardiston yesterday. One small oos grayling to the net, a couple of fish pricked but very few fish rising. Last of the mayfly coming off in dribs and drabs but not enough to induce feeding. The water was as low as in April (0.64 at the Tenbury gauge) but lacking the clarity it had then. Ideally I would have stayed until the evening but needed to head home to get ready for the week.
A few wild swimmers were also enjoying the river, the bend below the mill at Eardiston is getting more popular.

diawl bach

Back from a couple of weeks fishing the lakes around Devil's Bridge, hard going but caught fish every day, top fly a big black klink.

IMG_20210612_100231.jpg

IMG_20210611_133930.jpg

IMG_20210610_181334.jpg

IMG_20210610_192013.jpg

IMG_20210608_080037.jpg

IMG_20210607_144340.jpg

IMG_20210603_203150.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210603_203156.jpg
    IMG_20210603_203156.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:

heero

14 or so mile (roundtrip) walk up to 10k' Sunday. Still cold, lake half frozen. Did not catch any, didnt really put in much effort. More concerning is that I was able to make it up here before the middle of June without having to step thru a single drift or pile of snow. The mountains are going to burn this summer - cleansing fire, circle of life.

Going to get serious about fishing a few lakes in the coming weeks. Before the inferno starts.

131448510_326250295674810_2883730582379422391_n.jpg

199626684_521737732496048_604896829429947979_n.jpg

131418600_560993708596870_7336094672601073245_n.jpg

131440755_311934393971996_7624846676386089637_n.jpg

GEK79

14 or so mile (roundtrip) walk up to 10k' Sunday. Still cold, lake half frozen. Did not catch any, didnt really put in much effort. More concerning is that I was able to make it up here before the middle of June without having to step thru a single drift or pile of snow. The mountains are going to burn this summer - cleansing fire, circle of life.

Going to get serious about fishing a few lakes in the coming weeks. Before the inferno starts.

View attachment 40234

View attachment 40233

View attachment 40232

View attachment 40231
Its a shame my friend that we have destroyed this.. Be safe when fishing..

heero

Its a shame my friend that we have destroyed this.. Be safe when fishing..
The forest fires are natural. They are less frequent now than they would be without 100 years of fire mitigation, but they are more intense when they start up due to all the accumulated fuel because 100 years of fire mitigation (since it doesnt burn on more frequent, natural cycles).

jaybeegee

Fished the Wharfe today and it was fairly low but more water than I expected and an odd fish rising, but fairly sporadic. I worked up a favourite pool with the duo, a black magic nymph under a grey klink but not a touch until I reached the pocket water at the top where a fat ten inch fish took the nymph and then every likely looking channel produced a take though I lost a good few that got below in the current. I switched the klink for a bit of wool and ended up with five nice fish, the best thirteen inches. I really enjoy this pocket water fishing in summer but I find it increasingly more tiring, the wading is difficult in boulder strewn fast water and I’m absolutely knackered now.
A2F6EBE1-1D31-4956-9C57-CA6F3B396BCE.jpeg
EB452C7D-8DF6-465A-BC6B-47AF50F3AF5A.jpeg

B

GEK79

Fished the Wharfe today and it was fairly low but more water than I expected and an odd fish rising, but fairly sporadic. I worked up a favourite pool with the duo, a black magic nymph under a grey klink but not a touch until I reached the pocket water at the top where a fat ten inch fish took the nymph and then every likely looking channel produced a take though I lost a good few that got below in the current. I switched the klink for a bit of wool and ended up with five nice fish, the best thirteen inches. I really enjoy this pocket water fishing in summer but I find it increasingly more tiring, the wading is difficult in boulder strewn fast water and I’m absolutely knackered now.
View attachment 40240View attachment 40241
B
Sounds like a good day and wonderful surroundings.. 👍👍

Mrtrout

I ventured out this afternoon it was very overcast and cool, but it hasn’t helped matters, I found the odd fish rising but no interest in my flies.
I switched to a nymph and immediately caught a nice grayling.
Appropriate really on June 16th I suppose, lots of small grayling sipping up aphids under the trees..
S.

wobbly face

Got out today, bit of a late start but hey ho.
Saw fish topping on arrival at the river, decided duo but with a different team to my normal. Second cast and I plonked the dry on top of a fish's head as it rose. Needless to say it didn't top again.:rolleyes:
Didn't take long and first fish, a wee brown to the nymph. Well that was that for a while. Decided to go back to tried, tested and trusted duo team. Picked up the odd fish as I went along including a small grayling. Things definitely slow, bright sunshine, quite a strong down stream breeze and very low water. Came across a smelly dead 3lb chub, a stone loach that had seen better days but it was still alive. Then a very dead sheep that stunk, a crow was getting last scraps. Last hour of fishing took a turn for the better, bit of cloud cover, slightly cooler and the fish responded. I ended the day with 6 browns, one to the dry and 3 grayling with one to the dry. The fish that took the dry were best of the day. (y)

GEK79

Got out today, bit of a late start but hey ho.
Saw fish topping on arrival at the river, decided duo but with a different team to my normal. Second cast and I plonked the dry on top of a fish's head as it rose. Needless to say it didn't top again.:rolleyes:
Didn't take long and first fish, a wee brown to the nymph. Well that was that for a while. Decided to go back to tried, tested and trusted duo team. Picked up the odd fish as I went along including a small grayling. Things definitely slow, bright sunshine, quite a strong down stream breeze and very low water. Came across a smelly dead 3lb chub, a stone loach that had seen better days but it was still alive. Then a very dead sheep that stunk, a crow was getting last scraps. Last hour of fishing took a turn for the better, bit of cloud cover, slightly cooler and the fish responded. I ended the day with 6 browns, one to the dry and 3 grayling with one to the dry. The fish that took the dry were best of the day. (y)
Good day apart from dead animals.. Well done.. 👍👍

bibio1st

Fished a new small river this evening, heard there may be some big browns in it, it was small 1-2 meters in most parts, started on dries and nothing doing to start, didn’t see anything rising but out of the blue a fish rose to the fly but not connection, apart from the tree overhead🙄, 10 mins of careful quiet untangling and I was ready to try for it again, second cast it came up again and I had it, cursed when I realised it was a grayling but remembered it was the first day of the season for them, no further rises so put a small beaded nymph below and took another 5 grayling to the nymph, never saw a trout at all.
The dry fly grayling
CB41D62E-FC72-4030-88C9-AB3406590AB4.jpeg

Steve

sean freeman

Fished a new small river this evening, heard there may be some big browns in it, it was small 1-2 meters in most parts, started on dries and nothing doing to start, didn’t see anything rising but out of the blue a fish rose to the fly but not connection, apart from the tree overhead🙄, 10 mins of careful quiet untangling and I was ready to try for it again, second cast it came up again and I had it, cursed when I realised it was a grayling but remembered it was the first day of the season for them, no further rises so put a small beaded nymph below and took another 5 grayling to the nymph, never saw a trout at all.
The dry fly grayling
View attachment 40282

Steve
A streamer in the deeper pools might bring a decent brown out from its hidey hole.
Nice fish nonetheless!

Vintage Badger

The dry fly grayling
View attachment 40282

Steve
I'm not keen on the look of that landing net... when scrolling slowly down to read the thread I thought for a moment you'd joined RuPaul's drag race! Now I know why people call them fishnets! 🙂

Latest posts