Fly Fishing Forum banner
801 - 820 of 1,414 Posts
Had a short session on a border stream. Fished a dry parachute - Four fish, all sub 10'' - It seems a long time since I caught a decent sized trout - although there is no shortage of thumpers on here recently. I'm definitely jealous!

Tomorrow is another day!

Douglas

That's the size I seem to be catching lately - I think I will have a couple of evening sessions, see if I can bring something a bit bigger up!

Rivers now getting low - and fish getting a bit spooky- A good downpour would definitely help.

The banks are alive with colour at the moment - seems to have happened all of a sudden - Nice to see.

Meadow Cranesbill in the shade of Broom

About 4 years ago in early March I spotted one hunting in the early afternoon at a local still water, close to me, back and fourth along the bank for 30 mins and a couple of weeks later the same thing happened at Stocks reservoir, a lovely sight, the only other times I get a glimpse of one is when they flash past in the evening and are gone before you realise what’s happened.

Steve

I went to a small river early this morning as I wanted to be back for the first rugby semi-final...
a few years ago the landowner did some bank work that although it knocked the river back for a couple of years, it has provided some great habitat now it's settled in... what was wide and shallow is now deeper and willow lined..
I'd nearly fished back to the top of the beat when an old boy popped up and in a very friendly manner pointed out "there's no fish in there boy, shame it used to hold loads of fish when I was a lad...." and went onto to tell me i was unfortunately wasting my time....
he nearly fell over when I happily pointed out I'd had 15 trout, largest about 1 & 1/4 lb and 2 about 1/2lb... he went home really chuffed as he had lived in the valley and walked by the river all his life... nice start to the day...

I went to a small river early this morning as I wanted to be back for the first rugby semi-final...
a few years ago the landowner did some bank work that although it knocked the river back for a couple of years, it has provided some great habitat now it's settled in... what was wide and shallow is now deeper and willow lined..
I'd nearly fished back to the top of the beat when an old boy popped up and in a very friendly manner pointed out "there's no fish in there boy, shame it used to hold loads of fish when I was a lad...." and went onto to tell me i was unfortunately wasting my time....
he nearly fell over when I happily pointed out I'd had 15 trout, largest about 1 & 1/4 lb and 2 about 1/2lb... he went home really chuffed as he had lived in the valley and walked by the river all his life... nice start to the day...
You seem to have had a great day boisker. That fish is just sooooo fat!

I have met the occasional angler on one of the borders streams that I fish. I have been told on more than one occasion that 'there's no fish in the river' - I just agree and say that I have caught nowt! Strange, I just have the river all to myself these days!

Douglas

Do you still have any May's coming off down there Matt or is it over?

You seem to have had a great day boisker. That fish is just sooooo fat!

I have met the occasional angler on one of the borders streams that I fish. I have been told on more than one occasion that 'there's no fish in the river' - I just agree and say that I have caught nowt! Strange, I just have the river all to myself these days!

Douglas
That's what I do ?

Thought I'd get this in place ready for next week, let's just hope we can all get out more next year and have a great season.
As always I look forward to reading and seeing the results.
S.
Returned to the original lough today she desperately needs water..
I missed 14 fish and dropped one at my feet that had bent the Maxcatch rod over approx 10 inches or more..My own fault I went to pull net off back pulled wrong piece and yanked myself backwards...
All in the margins size 14 parachute Adam.
Great great day.

Attachments

Had the last few hours on the local river tonight, a few nice fish showing.
Its desperately low and clear so you have to sit still and wait, at 10.30 pm exactly I fooled this beauty on a spent spinner one of my own tyings, which is always a bonus, then walking back to the car I watched and videoed a barn owl hunting on the meadow, all in all a very pleasant evening.
View attachment 40309
That is a beauty!

Reactions: Mrtrout
Returned to the original lough today she desperately needs water..
I missed 14 fish and dropped one at my feet that had bent the Maxcatch rod over approx 10 inches or more..My own fault I went to pull net off back pulled wrong piece and yanked myself backwards...
All in the margins size 14 parachute Adam.
Great great day.
Is that a sandpiper in the fourth image? Nice little birds, I see them on both rivers and lakes, appear out of nowhere and pipe a complaint as they zoom off.

A very hard afternoon/evening on a stretch of the Dove I've not fished for 35 years, when there was only one other car in the car park on a weekend suggested it wasn't fishing well, it was a bigger water than I remember, plenty of nice looking water as I walked down stream to fish my way back, it didn't help having a strong wind that constantly changed between blowing up then down river making presentation challenging, 5 hours before getting my first fish out of a nice glide, had a second further up the same bit of water then nowt again out of the rest of the bits I tried, perhaps it needs some more water and colour to bring it on but I'm not in any rush to get back :rolleyes:
Sleeve Fish Fisherman Striper bass Ray-finned fish

Fish Fisherman Fishing net Fishing Recreational fishing

Steve

Today, I did a bit of burn fishing. To be honest, I probably spent more time walking than fishing - I wanted to get as far into the hills as my wee legs would take me.

The burn was on the bones of its ar#e - Anytime in the past that I've fished it when its that low, I've caught rugger ball - I only fished the head of deep pools with a parachute adams.

Caught 7 - That was a result considering the conditions - 4 were good sized fish (for a burn) and all had obviously been feeding well - cracking condition.

I only fished for some 2 hours - my knees are now knackered!!

Some pics.

Douglas

Best of the day.

Fatter than a great big bag of fat things!

This is about the lowest I have seen this burn - it's just as well that there is some deep pools.

This one was a peculiar shape!

A nifty cast through these rocks had an immediate response.
This type of fishing is really for young fit anglers or mountain goats - Don't know how long I'll be able to clamber about as my knees are fecked! However, I'm hoping the NHS might come up trumps!

801 - 820 of 1,414 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.