Fly Fishing Forum banner
821 - 840 of 1,414 Posts
A quick 90 mins on the Yarty... colour dropping back out the river, visibility about 18"... picked up a nice fish on the first run, plus a couple of smaller ones.
then got absolutely smashed by a large sea trout, took the dry, charged, leapt out the water and landed back through cow parsley that was half submerged in the river collapsing from the bank... possibly the worse plant to 'jump' through...
3lb tippet... the inevitable happened.... and then he was gone...
went home slightly grumpy to watch the footy...

Got out yesterday on the river just down steam from where I fished the other week. I think the fish must be lay up somewhere, hold there bellies and trying to sleep off all the mayfly they have chuffed. With nothing rising I tried nymphs for a while and managed one tiny Grayling for all my efforts. So I gave up and went prospecting with the trusty stimulator which did get me 3 small Trout. The fishing might have been slow but nature put on a bit of a show for me. First off a pair of kites sat in the tree opposite me. Then a little later on I heard something tap in the tree above me. Looked up to see a pair of spotted woodpeckers feeding. After that as I fished on up the river there was one hell of a commotion lots of splashing and quacking. Then down the river came 3 or 4 ducklings. And just behind them running along the waters edge was a mink with a duckling in its mouth, hotly pursued by the mother. All on a day when I hadn't got my camera with me isn't that always the way

Got out yesterday on the river just down steam from where I fished the other week. I think the fish must be lay up somewhere, hold there bellies and trying to sleep off all the mayfly they have chuffed. With nothing rising I tried nymphs for a while and managed one tiny Grayling for all my efforts. So I gave up and went prospecting with the trusty stimulator which did get me 3 small Trout. The fishing might have been slow but nature put on a bit of a show for me. First off a pair of kites sat in the tree opposite me. Then a little later on I heard something tap in the tree above me. Looked up to see a pair of spotted woodpeckers feeding. After that as I fished on up the river there was one hell of a commotion lots of splashing and quacking. Then down the river came 3 or 4 ducklings. And just behind them running along the waters edge was a mink with a duckling in its mouth, hotly pursued by the mother. All on a day when I hadn't got my camera with me isn't that always the way
The day that I caught my biggest ever brownie - I forgot my camera!

People just had to take my word for it -- or not!

Douglas

Caught my best brown of the season this eve... not the biggest, or trickiest cast.... but def the most rewarding...
i briefly hooked a really nice fish for the river I was on about a week ago... hook pulled.... couple of nights later, same spot 2 fish rising intermittantly... I didn't take enough time to study them and caught the smaller one...
so back again tonight... 2 fish rising again, the smaller one about 12" further out from the cow parsley cover... the larger fish tighter in. The smaller fish was rising once or twice every 5 mins or so... more like 10 mins for the larger fish, which sometime rose just once and others twice... very slightest bulge as he took something small in or just under the surface... the smaller fish was much more showy
I waited and watched for about 40 mins... made a cast.... low and behold I caught the larger one, size 24 curved hook, black thread with just 2 turns of grizzle hackle... embedded right in the scissors..
he then put on a real show... tail walked twice and went airborne multiple times... fun keeping him out of the cow parsley..
I need to get a better camera for photos... or at least check the lens which, I think could be smeared.... the 2 photo's really don't do justice... very washed out..

and a better photo with my phone when I can use 2 hands.. a perfect summers eve.... :)

The day that I caught my biggest ever brownie - I forgot my camera!

People just had to take my word for it -- or not!

Douglas
I never take photos of my fish Douglas, the whole thing of juggling fish, rod, net and phone just stresses me out too much to be worth it. What I do now is take a shot of the spot where I caught the fish and I keep a fishing diary. I do admire others who are able to cope with the process and produce great photos of their fish.
B

Reactions: Mrtrout
I never take photos of my fish Douglas, the whole thing of juggling fish, rod, net and phone just stresses me out too much to be worth it. What I do now is take a shot of the spot where I caught the fish and I keep a fishing diary. I do admire others who are able to cope with the process and produce great photos of their fish.
B
Mine are very hit and miss... more often miss, sometime quite literally... so I often don't bother taking a camera... :)

Discussion starter · #832 ·
Those are really good boisker…I just gave it up as a bad job.
B
I very nearly dropped my iPhone in on my last photo, wet hands trying to keep the fish submerged until the last moment it's very difficult at times.
I don't think I'm going to bother much from now on unless it's an absolute corker.
Paul Procter has a real knack of doing it, he told me once he often holds the fish upside down for a few seconds which makes it keep quiet, then takes the pic immediately after he's righted it.
Im happy in knowing I've caught the fish I've nothing to prove to anyone else.
S.

I very nearly dropped my iPhone in on my last photo, wet hands trying to keep the fish submerged until the last moment it's very difficult at times.
I don't think I'm going to bother much from now on unless it's an absolute corker.
Paul Procter has a real knack of doing it, he told me once he often holds the fish upside down for a few seconds which makes it keep quiet, then takes the pic immediately after he's righted it.
Im happy in knowing I've caught the fish I've nothing to prove to anyone else.
S.
i won't use my i-phone for fish pictures... too risky. i bought a 2nd hand Olympus tough a few years ago, it's pretty knackered now and at some point will look for a more recent tough model 2nd hand.
i also find for slightly larger fish if I leave them to recover in the net for a while, then slowly put my hand under them whilst still in the net, they get used to your hand and when you lift them to release they can be very relaxed, don't wriggle and you get time for a shot. The fish above sat on my hand in the river for about 30s before in nudged him to swim off... above a certain size I don't really even bother any more, except for perhaps a shot of them sat on my hand in the water with just their back showing...
I did that a couple of weeks ago with my largest fish this season... he immediately swam off and I got a very blurred shot of his tail in corner of the photo :)

An early morning foray on the Tweed - When I say early morning, I was fishing by 4am.
One of the reasons for an early start is that I was fishing the stretch which runs through the park, which would be pretty much impossible during the day, due to the hoards of people who frequent the park, Joggers, dog walkers, cyclists etc.

I just walked down from my house (about 7minutes)

I fished until 6am during which time I only encountered one dog walker and one jogger.

Anyway, caught nowt other than one small trout, but I did hook a substantial fish which detached itself after a few seconds. I'm pretty sure it was a grayling - it felt like a grayling with the bump, bump - That's good enough for me, I'll give it another early start next week.

Douglas

Half an hour later it was light!

Back to the Frome.... for about an hour conditions were perfect, still, warm and mostly overcast..... and the river in great condition, although starting to get low it's still lovely height to fish and crystal clear

lots of fish about, some decent sized trout, a few smaller ones and 3 or 4 small Grayling...
hooked into 3 larger trout, lost the largest.. disappointing as it slammed a French partridge fished waterlogged in the surface... this was the only one I photo'd.... he was proper chunky.... too fat to safely hold one handed, so just a quick snap after I'd lowered the net out beneath him...

Fished a new stretch of urban river today with my mate, we parked one car up river and took the other down so we could cover 3-4 miles without having to walk back.

I had a hit from one about 3lbs in the second pool which was a good sign but an hour passed without anything else until we reached a fast run along a wall, I cast a streamer up against the wall and saw something move but wasn't sure until the streamer came into view and a fish of at least 6 if not 7lbs was following but not looking hugely interested or aggressive! That's a run I'll be revisiting next week.

Some more time passed and we came across a deep run with a nice flow coming into it, I connected with something on the third cast and then all hell broke loose, it ripped line off the reel heading upstream and almost as quickly came firing back past me downstream! I reckon I nearly lost it three times during the fight but I was relieved when I slipped my net under this beast at 5.5-5.75lbs on the weigh net (I was shaking a bit) ?
Water Smile Vertebrate Botany Plant

EDD83A07-DEF2-4913-9C72-FBD834A511DE.jpeg

With that I was happy for the day and let my mate fish the remaining pools and runs, we came to one and I just looked at him and said there's a fish tucked into that corner, there just had to be and on the first cast into there he hooked up, at first thinking it was a smaller fish but then it went airborne! After a mega battle I netted this cracker for him at 5.75lbs! What a way to end the session and I'll enjoy a pint in celebration this evening.
D26DADF0-9740-4A71-8DE0-163516A4A3C2.jpeg

5857298E-BCC1-4162-8FCD-00314C44D00D.jpeg

Reactions: heero
Fished a new stretch of urban river today with my mate, we parked one car up river and took the other down so we could cover 3-4 miles without having to walk back.

I had a hit from one about 3lbs in the second pool which was a good sign but an hour passed without anything else until we reached a fast run along a wall, I cast a streamer up against the wall and saw something move but wasn't sure until the streamer came into view and a fish of at least 6 if not 7lbs was following but not looking hugely interested or aggressive! That's a run I'll be revisiting next week.

Some more time passed and we came across a deep run with a nice flow coming into it, I connected with something on the third cast and then all hell broke loose, it ripped line off the reel heading upstream and almost as quickly came firing back past me downstream! I reckon I nearly lost it three times during the fight but I was relieved when I slipped my net under this beast at 5.5-5.75lbs on the weigh net (I was shaking a bit) ?
View attachment 40653
View attachment 40654
With that I was happy for the day and let my mate fish the remaining pools and runs, we came to one and I just looked at him and said there's a fish tucked into that corner, there just had to be and on the first cast into there he hooked up, at first thinking it was a smaller fish but then it went airborne! After a mega battle I netted this cracker at 5.75lbs! What a way to end the session and I'll enjoy a pint in celebration this evening.
View attachment 40655
View attachment 40656
what a beauty

821 - 840 of 1,414 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.