Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

eddleston123

I went to a small river early this morning as I wanted to be back for the first rugby semi-final...
a few years ago the landowner did some bank work that although it knocked the river back for a couple of years, it has provided some great habitat now it’s settled in... what was wide and shallow is now deeper and willow lined..
I’d nearly fished back to the top of the beat when an old boy popped up and in a very friendly manner pointed out “there’s no fish in there boy, shame it used to hold loads of fish when I was a lad....” and went onto to tell me i was unfortunately wasting my time....
he nearly fell over when I happily pointed out I’d had 15 trout, largest about 1 & 1/4 lb and 2 about 1/2lb... he went home really chuffed as he had lived in the valley and walked by the river all his life... nice start to the day...
You seem to have had a great day boisker. That fish is just sooooo fat!

I have met the occasional angler on one of the borders streams that I fish. I have been told on more than one occasion that 'there's no fish in the river' - I just agree and say that I have caught nowt! Strange, I just have the river all to myself these days!

Douglas

Mr Notherone

I went to a small river early this morning as I wanted to be back for the first rugby semi-final...
a few years ago the landowner did some bank work that although it knocked the river back for a couple of years, it has provided some great habitat now it’s settled in... what was wide and shallow is now deeper and willow lined..
I’d nearly fished back to the top of the beat when an old boy popped up and in a very friendly manner pointed out “there’s no fish in there boy, shame it used to hold loads of fish when I was a lad....” and went onto to tell me i was unfortunately wasting my time....
he nearly fell over when I happily pointed out I’d had 15 trout, largest about 1 & 1/4 lb and 2 about 1/2lb... he went home really chuffed as he had lived in the valley and walked by the river all his life... nice start to the day...
Do you still have any May's coming off down there Matt or is it over?

sean freeman

You seem to have had a great day boisker. That fish is just sooooo fat!

I have met the occasional angler on one of the borders streams that I fish. I have been told on more than one occasion that 'there's no fish in the river' - I just agree and say that I have caught nowt! Strange, I just have the river all to myself these days!

Douglas
That’s what I do 😂

GEK79

Thought I’d get this in place ready for next week, let’s just hope we can all get out more next year and have a great season.
As always I look forward to reading and seeing the results.
S.
Returned to the original lough today she desperately needs water..
I missed 14 fish and dropped one at my feet that had bent the Maxcatch rod over approx 10 inches or more..My own fault I went to pull net off back pulled wrong piece and yanked myself backwards...
All in the margins size 14 parachute Adam.
Great great day.

Attachments

• IMG_20210619_120558.jpg
    IMG_20210619_120558.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20210619_173031_edit_1478251340859330.jpg
    IMG_20210619_173031_edit_1478251340859330.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20210619_173029_edit_1478264414566620.jpg
    IMG_20210619_173029_edit_1478264414566620.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20210619_134054_edit_1478277702167659.jpg
    IMG_20210619_134054_edit_1478277702167659.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 43

Rhithrogena

Had the last few hours on the local river tonight, a few nice fish showing.
Its desperately low and clear so you have to sit still and wait, at 10.30 pm exactly I fooled this beauty on a spent spinner one of my own tyings, which is always a bonus, then walking back to the car I watched and videoed a barn owl hunting on the meadow, all in all a very pleasant evening.
View attachment 40309
That is a beauty!

diawl bach

Returned to the original lough today she desperately needs water..
I missed 14 fish and dropped one at my feet that had bent the Maxcatch rod over approx 10 inches or more..My own fault I went to pull net off back pulled wrong piece and yanked myself backwards...
All in the margins size 14 parachute Adam.
Great great day.
Is that a sandpiper in the fourth image? Nice little birds, I see them on both rivers and lakes, appear out of nowhere and pipe a complaint as they zoom off.

bibio1st

A very hard afternoon/evening on a stretch of the Dove I’ve not fished for 35 years, when there was only one other car in the car park on a weekend suggested it wasn’t fishing well, it was a bigger water than I remember, plenty of nice looking water as I walked down stream to fish my way back, it didn’t help having a strong wind that constantly changed between blowing up then down river making presentation challenging, 5 hours before getting my first fish out of a nice glide, had a second further up the same bit of water then nowt again out of the rest of the bits I tried, perhaps it needs some more water and colour to bring it on but I’m not in any rush to get back :rolleyes:
15F42AE5-DFD2-403B-89F2-02A08CEA0428.jpeg

2782219E-C0BE-485C-AFE8-601455E05FA8.jpeg

Steve

eddleston123

Today, I did a bit of burn fishing. To be honest, I probably spent more time walking than fishing - I wanted to get as far into the hills as my wee legs would take me.

The burn was on the bones of its ar#e - Anytime in the past that I've fished it when its that low, I've caught rugger ball - I only fished the head of deep pools with a parachute adams.

Caught 7 - That was a result considering the conditions - 4 were good sized fish (for a burn) and all had obviously been feeding well - cracking condition.

I only fished for some 2 hours - my knees are now knackered!!

Some pics.

Douglas

Best of the day.

Fatter than a great big bag of fat things!

This is about the lowest I have seen this burn - it's just as well that there is some deep pools.

This one was a peculiar shape!

A nifty cast through these rocks had an immediate response.
This type of fishing is really for young fit anglers or mountain goats - Don't know how long I'll be able to clamber about as my knees are fecked! However, I'm hoping the NHS might come up trumps!

Last edited:

boisker

A quick 90 mins on the Yarty... colour dropping back out the river, visibility about 18”... picked up a nice fish on the first run, plus a couple of smaller ones.
then got absolutely smashed by a large sea trout, took the dry, charged, leapt out the water and landed back through cow parsley that was half submerged in the river collapsing from the bank... possibly the worse plant to ‘jump’ through...
3lb tippet... the inevitable happened.... and then he was gone...
went home slightly grumpy to watch the footy...

Last edited:

bobnudd

Got out yesterday on the river just down steam from where I fished the other week. I think the fish must be lay up somewhere, hold there bellies and trying to sleep off all the mayfly they have chuffed. With nothing rising I tried nymphs for a while and managed one tiny Grayling for all my efforts. So I gave up and went prospecting with the trusty stimulator which did get me 3 small Trout. The fishing might have been slow but nature put on a bit of a show for me. First off a pair of kites sat in the tree opposite me. Then a little later on I heard something tap in the tree above me. Looked up to see a pair of spotted woodpeckers feeding. After that as I fished on up the river there was one hell of a commotion lots of splashing and quacking. Then down the river came 3 or 4 ducklings. And just behind them running along the waters edge was a mink with a duckling in its mouth, hotly pursued by the mother. All on a day when I hadn't got my camera with me isn't that always the way

eddleston123

Got out yesterday on the river just down steam from where I fished the other week. I think the fish must be lay up somewhere, hold there bellies and trying to sleep off all the mayfly they have chuffed. With nothing rising I tried nymphs for a while and managed one tiny Grayling for all my efforts. So I gave up and went prospecting with the trusty stimulator which did get me 3 small Trout. The fishing might have been slow but nature put on a bit of a show for me. First off a pair of kites sat in the tree opposite me. Then a little later on I heard something tap in the tree above me. Looked up to see a pair of spotted woodpeckers feeding. After that as I fished on up the river there was one hell of a commotion lots of splashing and quacking. Then down the river came 3 or 4 ducklings. And just behind them running along the waters edge was a mink with a duckling in its mouth, hotly pursued by the mother. All on a day when I hadn't got my camera with me isn't that always the way
The day that I caught my biggest ever brownie - I forgot my camera!

People just had to take my word for it -- or not!

Douglas

boisker

Caught my best brown of the season this eve... not the biggest, or trickiest cast.... but def the most rewarding...
i briefly hooked a really nice fish for the river I was on about a week ago... hook pulled.... couple of nights later, same spot 2 fish rising intermittantly... I didn’t take enough time to study them and caught the smaller one...
so back again tonight... 2 fish rising again, the smaller one about 12” further out from the cow parsley cover... the larger fish tighter in. The smaller fish was rising once or twice every 5 mins or so... more like 10 mins for the larger fish, which sometime rose just once and others twice... very slightest bulge as he took something small in or just under the surface... the smaller fish was much more showy
I waited and watched for about 40 mins... made a cast.... low and behold I caught the larger one, size 24 curved hook, black thread with just 2 turns of grizzle hackle... embedded right in the scissors..
he then put on a real show... tail walked twice and went airborne multiple times... fun keeping him out of the cow parsley..
I need to get a better camera for photos... or at least check the lens which, I think could be smeared.... the 2 photo’s really don’t do justice... very washed out..

and a better photo with my phone when I can use 2 hands.. a perfect summers eve.... :)

Last edited:

jaybeegee

The day that I caught my biggest ever brownie - I forgot my camera!

People just had to take my word for it -- or not!

Douglas
I never take photos of my fish Douglas, the whole thing of juggling fish, rod, net and phone just stresses me out too much to be worth it. What I do now is take a shot of the spot where I caught the fish and I keep a fishing diary. I do admire others who are able to cope with the process and produce great photos of their fish.
B

boisker

I never take photos of my fish Douglas, the whole thing of juggling fish, rod, net and phone just stresses me out too much to be worth it. What I do now is take a shot of the spot where I caught the fish and I keep a fishing diary. I do admire others who are able to cope with the process and produce great photos of their fish.
B
Mine are very hit and miss... more often miss, sometime quite literally... so I often don’t bother taking a camera... :)