Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

eddleston123

Had a very quick blast through one deep run on the river yesterday then headed to the reservoir.
My theory was that the high wind speed for the first time in ages would oxygenate the water and get the fish moving and feeding despite the blue sky.
My theory was proved to be nonsense and we blanked.
There's nothing like a good theory Scotty.

Before I embark on a fishing session, I make some kind of rough plan based on theories.

Unfortunately, most of the time my theories turn out to be total nonsense.

Makes me feel like a technical, thinking angler at the time though!

Douglas

Scotty Mitchell

There's nothing like a good theory Scotty.

Before I embark on a fishing session, I make some kind of rough plan based on theories.

Unfortunately, most of the time my theories turn out to be total nonsense.

Makes me feel like a technical, thinking angler at the time though!

Douglas
Aye likewise Douglas, I’m full of “theories” 😆

bibio1st

Nothing better on a far too hot day than being on a small tree lined river to keep you cool, even better if there’s a micro brewery at the top end to have a pint before the fishing starts, that’s how it was yesterday and a few fish thrown in for good measure, all on beaded nymphs though I had started on the dries, probably spent a bit too much time in one run after a trout that had a couple of explosive goes at my fly but no connection, I kept giving it 15 mins to start feeding again but no joy, on the nymphs things were steady, not sure of numbers but plenty of interest, some landed, others lost or bumped, all small with the best being 6-8 oz, a fun afternoon/evening.
459E1CF6-923F-414A-A9C5-8D7EF6308FAC.jpeg
FCA8A16E-40B7-48DD-B189-CD5BFF1AD4E9.jpeg

Steve

Last edited:

Vintage Badger

Nothing better on a far too hot day than being on a small tree lined river to keep you cool, even better if there’s a micro brewery at the top end to have a pint before the fishing starts, that’s how it was yesterday and a few few thrown in for good measure, all on beaded nymphs though I had started on the dries, probably spent a bit too much time in one run after a trout that had a couple of explosive goes at my fly but no connection, I kept giving it 15 mins to start feeding again but no joy, on the nymphs things were steady, not sure if numbers but plenty of interest, some landed, others lost or bumped, all small with the best being 6-8 oz, a fun afternoon/evening.
View attachment 41420View attachment 41421

Steve
Nice little trout, was it a pint of Sir Philip or Wibbly Wallaby that fuelled that catch?

Vintage Badger

Not sure what the name of the pint was, it was one of the two pale ales they had, I hadn’t got a mask so they bought it out to me, very nice though.

Steve
Could have been Wibbly Wallaby or Winkle Waller by the sounds of it. It's one of my favourite micro-breweries so I must try and get up there and try the river too, once I've got my back problem sorted and I'm more agile!

bobnudd

Got out last Wednesday before the heatwave with my mate. We were heading off to Bugeilyn which meant an early start. We set out 06:00 and we were fishing just after 10. It's been several years since we've been up there and it didn't disappoint. We fished until 19:00 with a break around half 2 for our usual cook up.
2000_0101_000028_001 (4).JPG
The fishing was steady all day with the usual assortment of small black flies doing the damage. The pair of us caught and mist to many fish to count. No monsters but they are some fit feisty fish. I would love to get one around the 2bls make I'm sure it would be one hell of a scrap.
And the good news is my back held out.

GEK79

Nothing better on a far too hot day than being on a small tree lined river to keep you cool, even better if there’s a micro brewery at the top end to have a pint before the fishing starts, that’s how it was yesterday and a few fish thrown in for good measure, all on beaded nymphs though I had started on the dries, probably spent a bit too much time in one run after a trout that had a couple of explosive goes at my fly but no connection, I kept giving it 15 mins to start feeding again but no joy, on the nymphs things were steady, not sure of numbers but plenty of interest, some landed, others lost or bumped, all small with the best being 6-8 oz, a fun afternoon/evening.
View attachment 41420View attachment 41421

Steve
Pint and cool fishing what a great day.. Well done.. 👍👍

Mr Notherone

Got out last Wednesday before the heatwave with my mate. We were heading off to Bugeilyn which meant an early start. We set out 06:00 and we were fishing just after 10. It's been several years since we've been up there and it didn't disappoint. We fished until 19:00 with a break around half 2 for our usual cook up. The fishing was steady all day with the usual assortment of small black flies doing the damage. The pair of us caught and mist to many fish to count. No monsters but they are some fit feisty fish. I would love to get one around the 2bls make I'm sure it would be one hell of a scrap.
I don't really fish still water, but I visited Bugeilyn last year - fabulous place. Those small trout really punch above their weight. Wonderful landscape.

diawl bach

Quite fancy the walk from Nant Y Moch to Bugeilyn along the Afon Hengym, it looks beautiful from the easternmost point of the Moch or from above up in the lofty reaches around Llyn Lygad Rheidol. The car logistics would be a bit of a bustard so it would probably be a there and back again exercise.

moch_bugeilyn.JPG

GEK79

Quite fancy the walk from Nant Y Moch to Bugeilyn along the Afon Hengym, it looks beautiful from the easternmost point of the Moch or from above up in the lofty reaches around Llyn Lygad Rheidol. The car logistics would be a bit of a bustard so it would probably be a there and back again exercise.

View attachment 41471
Depending it could be a bivvy and stay for the night..? Early rise late rise... Could be great fishing.

eddleston123

Didn't intend going fishing today, as it was forecast another hot, hot day. But I couldn't stand the thought of another day in the house (it's meant to be freedom day, after all). I went a bit earlier than usual, which was good, as I caught most of my fish within the first couple of hours.

This is a small trout stream, no monsters, but a couple of good fish, all fat as butter. Plenty small fish, and many missed rises. It was an enjoyable session. The fish switched off at around 1130, but that was enough for me, I was overheating!

Nothing too technical, a size 14 parachute adams fished upstream. I concentrated on the shaded tree lined areas. I should have taken my 7' rod. The banks were totally overgrown, and I struggled with my 9' rod. However, still caught a fair amount of troots.

Pics.

Douglas

Concentrated on the shaded areas - Should have taken my 7 footer!

diesel near me now

They were doing a politician first thing this morning (on the take) Things switched off as soon as the sun was overhead.

All fatter than a great big bag of fat things!

7 11 near me petrol station

closest diesel gas station to me[url=https://postimg.cc/n9G47r4M] closest gas station from my location now[/URL]

Last edited:

lavo85

I havent fished in 6 weeks, local rivers are the lowest i have ever seen them, gona take alot of rain to turn things around.

Latest posts