Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

lavo85

Club waters here closed now and rightly so. Way too warm to safely fish for trout.
All the local fisheries here have closed for a week, one or 2 rivers have also closed, correct decision imo.

Usually we are well into the dollaghan season but with very little rain for the past few months some rivers are down to a trickle and fish are showing signs of disease already, we need a dose of rain very soon.

sean freeman

I’ve called it quits on my local rivers so I’m limited to Derbyshires limestone spring fed rivers which maintain a nice cool temp.

I watched a fish for hours last night waiting for it to come on the feed! It was a lovely cock rainbow of around 5-6 pounds at a guess, a fish to make my season! I hooked it on a sedge after a few fly changes but it just took me to backing heading downstream in seconds, it went around a log and jumped which gave away its size (looked like something from NZ)! I managed to get it back around the log only for it to make another lunge for it, the leader rubbed on said log and just like that it was gone.. :cry: I’ve been after a fish like that on the Wye for a few seasons now, sure you’ll get them in town but they’re a bit artificial.

I did land lovely brownie but I still left feeling a bit dejected! 😅 These big wild bows will just school you!

52678790-A97A-47C7-83E7-A9524B24003F.jpeg

jaybeegee

I’ve called it quits on my local rivers so I’m limited to Derbyshires limestone spring fed rivers which maintain a nice cool temp.

I watched a fish for hours last night waiting for it to come on the feed! It was a lovely cock rainbow of around 5-6 pounds at a guess, a fish to make my season! I hooked it on a sedge after a few fly changes but it just took me to backing heading downstream in seconds, it went around a log and jumped which gave away its size (looked like something from NZ)! I managed to get it back around the log only for it to make another lunge for it, the leader rubbed on said log and just like that it was gone.. :cry: I’ve been after a fish like that on the Wye for a few seasons now, sure you’ll get them in town but they’re a bit artificial.

I did land lovely brownie but I still left feeling a bit dejected! 😅 These big wild bows will just school you!

View attachment 41515
Crikey Sean, that’s a hell of a consolation prize!
B

Scotty90

On the water of leith again today, fished more pocket water as it’s really sunny in Edinburgh today and the river is a bit low. Started off with the duo, a size 12 bushy cdc sedge and a size 16 peacock collar ptn with a 2.5mm bead, I was catching fish consistently on the dry and the nymph so fished the whole session with the same two flies. Ended up with about 20 fish, probably an equal mix between dry and nymph.
D2E87260-97B9-4320-861B-3BE9192D1045.jpeg
71973026-12DB-4EC9-953A-C9DACDE9AE8B.jpeg
01298980-62F5-472F-B5E5-1A40142CA53A.jpeg

bibio1st

That’s a lump Sean👍

I’ll take a thermometer with me next time I go on the upper stretch to check the temperature, it felt cool at the weekend and is heavily shaded, there are some other river stretches I wouldn’t consider at the moment.

Steve

njm

Have discovered why those Manchester trout are so big... although to be honest i would have expected the opposite effect.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

eddleston123

Had another wee jolly on the water of leith today, much the same as yesterday. Fished the duo again but today all bar one fish was on the nymph. Nice afternoon and ended up with over 20 again View attachment 41554View attachment 41553
Hi, Scotty,

Magnificent colours. Well done.

As a boy, I fished many Edinburgh stretches of the WOL. Mainly around Roseburn. My parents moved to Currie, and I spend these years fishing from Juniper Green up to Balerno. The fishing was good with some big surprises.

As an 11 - 12 year old, I used to fish mainly worm, but graduated to the dry fly in my teens, which was very effective method. Nymphing wasn't a known method in these days.

When I look back, it's strange to think that I must have caught hundreds of trout and had hundreds of fishing days,, without paying a penny for a permit! Is it still free?

Ahh, those were the days!!

Douglas

Last edited:

Scotty90

Hi, Scotty,

Magnificent colours. Well done.

As a boy, I fished many Edinburgh stretches of the WOL. Mainly around Roseburn. My parents moved to Currie, and I spend these years fishing from Juniper Green up to Balerno. The fishing was good with some big surprises.

As an 11 - 12 year old, I used to fish mainly worm, but graduated to the dry fly in my teens, which was very effective method. Nymphing wasn't a known method in these days.

When I look back, it's strange to think that I must have caught hundreds of trout and had hundreds of fishing days,, without paying a penny for a permit! Is it still free?

Ahh, those were the days!!

Douglas
Hi Douglas,

It is still free aye. No stocking for about 8/9 years too so the head of wild fish is great. Dries are probably my main method on the WoL but nymphs work a treat as well, the duo is best for presenting the nymphs though, euro tactics work but it’s not suited to most of the water, as you know it’s a very boulder strewn stream and the water (where I’d fish nymphs) is mostly 2/3 feet deep, perfect for duo fishing.

I was fishing from juniper green upstream towards Balerno yesterday and today. one of the most productive stretches for me I'd say, I never fish it in the city though because I can’t be bothered with all the people and it’s quieter on the outskirts.

Scott

eddleston123

Hi Douglas,

It is still free aye. No stocking for about 8/9 years too so the head of wild fish is great. Dries are probably my main method on the WoL but nymphs work a treat as well, the duo is best for presenting the nymphs though, euro tactics work but it’s not suited to most of the water, as you know it’s a very boulder strewn stream and the water (where I’d fish nymphs) is mostly 2/3 feet deep, perfect for duo fishing.

I was fishing from juniper green upstream towards Balerno yesterday and today. one of the most productive stretches for me I'd say, I never fish it in the city though because I can’t be bothered with all the people and it’s quieter on the outskirts.

Scott
Hi Scott,

It used to be stocked annually with 6'' trout from what I can remember. (Edinburgh)

All your fish are truly wild then. That's really good news.

I now have an itch to fish this stretch again - It will feel a bit strange. I wonder how much it has changed in the last 56 years!

I always enjoyed fishing the upper reaches of this river, never any hassle. Fishing in the city - you took your chances. I had a car wheel thrown at me on one occasion from a bridge!

Douglas

Last edited:

Scotty90

Hi Scott,

It used to be stocked annually with 6'' trout from what I can remember. (Edinburgh)

All your fish are truly wild then. That's really good news.

I now have an itch to fish this stretch again - It will feel a bit strange. I wonder how much it has changed in the last 56 years!

I always enjoyed fishing the upper reaches of this river, never any hassle. Fishing in the city - you took your chances. I had a shopping trolley thrown at me on one occasion from a bridge!

Douglas
Yeah the city stretches are not for me, I doubt anyone would try to throw stuff at me but I hate the hustle and bustle. It’s well worth a wee shot, I know you live next to some of the best river fishing in the country and the water of leith doesn't really compare but it’s a gem of a river and it has a certain air about it.

I have access to some great fishing on the tweed for trout and salmon but I love a session on the WoL. It is only wild fish, like I mentioned before it hasn’t been stocked for almost a decade, there are some brutes to be found but the majority of the fish are bandies, beautiful trout though.

I hope you return to your childhood river for a shot and when/if you do I’d be happy to tag along if you fancied company.
Scott

eddleston123

Yeah the city stretches are not for me, I doubt anyone would try to throw stuff at me but I hate the hustle and bustle. It’s well worth a wee shot, I know you live next to some of the best river fishing in the country and the water of leith doesn't really compare but it’s a gem of a river and it has a certain air about it.

I have access to some great fishing on the tweed for trout and salmon but I love a session on the WoL. It is only wild fish, like I mentioned before it hasn’t been stocked for almost a decade, there are some brutes to be found but the majority of the fish are bandies, beautiful trout though.

I hope you return to your childhood river for a shot and when/if you do I’d be happy to tag along if you fancied company.
Scott

Hi Scott,

I really don't mind catch wee fish (bandies) - I'll hopefully be catching a few soon - I'm off to Rannoch Moor at the end of next week, Hopefully fishing Loch Laidon, Loch eighch, and the rivers Garbh Ghaoir, and upper Guar. In the main the fish their could be classed as 'bandies' but their is always the occasional surprise.

That's the great plan, but as I'm going with my wife and a couple of grand children, I might not be able to escape. If I do get away fishing I'll put up my report. Just hoping there is sufficient water!

It would be helpful to find out access points for the WOL, as I don't know how good my memory would be after 56 years. If I have a chance this year, I'll pm you. Thanks a lot.

A.T.B

Douglas

rabmax

View attachment 41515
Some cracking fish on your rivers
What a lovely fish.

bibio1st

I had a couple of hours yesterday evening at the top end of the river, took a thermometer up to check, quite surprised how high the temps were, holding the thermometer down in the faster water for a minute my hand felt quite cold and was surprised when it showed 18 degrees, further down the river it showed 17, fished a few of the faster runs for a dozen small browns but will give it a rest now until the temps drop back, the sun setting on the way home looked very nice but the phone camera doesn't do it justice.

F14D2810-60BD-4FBD-900F-0FF9E84512D7.jpeg

Steve

scobo

As a boy, I fished many Edinburgh stretches of the WOL. Mainly around Roseburn.

I used to get the bus to the tackle shop in Roseburn when I was a lad and the bus stop back was right on a bridge over the WOL.
I always had a look over the bridge while waiting for the bus and there were always several fish rising away.
The water was quite clear and you could see some of them were a decent size but the surrounding area was fairly overgrown with no way to get a cast near them.
I did have a go one day further along near Murrayfield although rivers have never really been my thing and I struggled to get much interest but there were plenty fish on the go.

codyarrow

Finally back in the swing after a two month house move (don't do it ever!). Been away from this thread so give yourselves a big like. (y)
Anyway the weathers been stupid hot since Thurs so decided the evening would be best. As it was a Sunday my choices are limited to two lochs. It must be on the back of the ten commandments somewhere about no fishing a Sunday apart from Loch Calder for some reason. So to please God off I went to Calder.

Tide had gone out since May. Conditions were hot and blustery. Still I was happy to get out until I got out. Fishing was absolutely dire. In all my years of fishing there it is the first session I never saw anything at all rise. Even in March the odd fish shows. Two hours in not so much as a rattle. Even in a deep water loch the heat must be putting the fish into a sulk. Not much fly life, only a few mayfly about. At about 8.30pm the weather cooled as the sun began to go down a bit. Thankfully the fish came on a bit, without rising, and I was rewarded with half a dozen clonkers of the type you can see
IMG_1934 (2).JPG
in the pick - and I was glad of them.:)

Unloading the boat I came across this. Normally this area is 2 ft under water, but Calder's water capacity was increased to provide water for the local area so historically it would not have been.
IMG_1938 (2).JPG

Any ideas? My first thoughts were sword hilt top? But it could easily be some old tractor part. Does look like an animal though.

GEK79

All the local fisheries here have closed for a week, one or 2 rivers have also closed, correct decision imo.

Usually we are well into the dollaghan season but with very little rain for the past few months some rivers are down to a trickle and fish are showing signs of disease already, we need a dose of rain very soon.
I walked the Drowes yesterday with the wife and 3 dead trout we saw upright... Sad to see.. We did also see a fantastic salmon showing and leaping so a little better...

Latest posts