Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

Scotty90

Just in from another water of leith session, fished the duo again. Peacock thorax ptns In natural and black and a wee black magic nymph done the trick. Finished with 10 beautiful wee fish.
99DC8873-3C71-4703-82AF-4233315F9614.jpeg
95F3C3E0-AA82-4E30-BD81-9FF4640BE167.jpeg
68C9E480-DCF9-49B1-9E97-705D00628BAF.jpeg
BB4DF1B6-2D6A-4D94-8E37-5F739688ED13.jpeg
C865F5E1-6E0C-4557-B1CA-F4B09D2DA91B.jpeg
7EF457FE-54C9-4E49-ABE6-FFEC67033635.jpeg

Attachments

• 64587CA3-7A37-42DA-B11C-B0C913F650F8.jpeg
    64587CA3-7A37-42DA-B11C-B0C913F650F8.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 20

alfie trout

Well done nice fish and markings
you said they were caught using the duo method I know it’s a good method
But using nymphs is a method I don’t personally do due to lack of confidence in this method would you mind telling me your particular setup/method as I am sure i am not the only one who would be interested to know cheers.

smallmouth

My third trip of 2021 to the river today, only because I had a rare week day off. Weekend overcrowding and a nasty “political” situation I want no part of, is keeping me away.

Imagining that the fish may have been peppered with tungsten all weekend, I started on a #21 parachute to 7X Rio. The river was low and felt dead and cold, with a lot more foam than usual and little surface activity. One bumped offer in 2 hours persuaded me to start working my way through a variety of my smallest nymphs. Eventually RabMax’s green honey bug recipe got me off the mark with a 4 ouncer.

Only a couple more to a #20 klink had me wondering where all the fish were, despite stoneflies, odd caddis and occasional pale upwings, risers were few. I think nymphing would’ve been more successful, but I think this stretch is getting hammered and so is too technical for my limited nymph skills.

One thing that bothered me was new extensive patches of stinking deep silt covered in green algae, where has that come from?

All in all not the best day, cut short when I got a panicky phone call because my daughter’s dog had been stung on the tongue by a wasp. 4mg of piriton sorted that, with the added bonus of making him really sleepy all evening......

In better news, since my previous multiple falling down debacles, I made a wading staff from seasoned hazel. It might look a bit Gandalf, but no falling down or algae dances. And my birthday Loop Opti dry fly box is just the job.....

Scotty90

Well done nice fish and markings
you said they were caught using the duo method I know it’s a good method
But using nymphs is a method I don’t personally do due to lack of confidence in this method would you mind telling me your particular setup/method as I am sure i am not the only one who would be interested to know cheers.
I usually fish the duo in water 1 to 3 feet deep and reasonably flowing, it’s no good in slow canal like water. I use a klinkhamer tied with a fair pinch of aero wing in pink/white/black depending on visibility. I tie the Klinks on barbed hooks but crush the barb and tie the nymph tippet to the bend of the hook, it gives more direct contact with the nymph and no delay in take detection, dry dropper is good when there are a few fish rising but take detection is slightly delayed. Size 16 jig hooks with 2.5 to 2.8mm tungsten beads, pheasant tails and hares ears are a good place to start. It’s an easy method once you figure it out, the skill lies in finding fish.

Last edited:

alfie trout

I usually fish the duo in water 1 to 3 feet deep and reasonably flowing, it’s no good in slow canal like water. I use a klinkhamer tied with a fair pinch of aero wing in pink/white/black depending on visibility. I tie the Klinks on barbed hooks but crush the barb and tie the nymph tippet to the bend of the hook, it gives more direct contact with the nymph and no delay in take detection, dry dropper is good when there are a few fish rising but take detection is slightly delayed. Size 16 jig hooks with 2.5 to 2.8mm tungsten beads, pheasant tails and hairs ears are a good place to start. It’s an easy method once you figure it out, the skill lies in finding fish.
cheers for that I’m fishing narrow rivers/streams with tree cover so I assume I’d be casting slightly up and across rod length is generally 7 1/2 or 8 foot

Scotty90

cheers for that I’m fishing narrow rivers/streams with tree cover so I assume I’d be casting slightly up and across rod length is generally 7 1/2 or 8 foot
I use a 9 foot 4 weight for the duo, a medium action sage launch. Yes upstream for drag free drifts. The river I fish most is narrow but the 9 foot rod allows you to high stick the nymphs better than a short rod if you need to, sometimes there no room to put fly line on the water. I use an 8ft tapered leader and a couple of feet of 0.12 tippet to the dry then around 2/3 feet of 0.10 tippet to the nymph.

Scotty90

On the water of leith again but this time further up river. Rain came on about 3ish and sped the flow up again so went with the trio and a wee bit of short leader euro. Had quite a lot of fish today, around 20 and lost a few too, they were feisty today especially the ones caught under the dry. Anyway here’s a few pics
2A4CB915-9947-476A-A18D-6DBF0D671BE2.jpeg
65EDCABC-3ADC-4D2C-9EC5-247D4E80C02F.jpeg
433B90C3-44FE-44CE-9F9F-5412584B3903.jpeg
C8D4810E-3F65-4D14-8021-B23BFFE3F601.jpeg
DC9BE966-E2C4-4152-BE4E-A84C94DBE8B1.jpeg

Attachments

• DEC297A9-F76C-4B4D-AAA3-45F68D84BEB9.jpeg
    DEC297A9-F76C-4B4D-AAA3-45F68D84BEB9.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20

Mr Notherone

A few from Sunday. Much warmer than forecast but the water was only 18˚. The pattern this season has been very few fish showing, but prospecting a dry has brought some up. Same again this session. At 7pm there was some surface activity for about half an hour and them all quiet again. Beautiful evening to be on the river.
IMG_6822.jpg
IMG_6817.jpg
IMG_6826.jpg

eddleston123

Just back from Rannoch moor. I did manage to escape (twice). First session was Loch Laidon - second on the Garbh Ghaoir river - sometimes called the Alt Garb or simply the Gaur - All very confusing, but simply put, it is the river that runs from Loch Laidon into Loch Eigheach.

Normally, you could expect to get well into double figures on these venues, but the recent warm spell made things a bit challenging. Things were certainly freshened up by spells of torrential rain.

In the main, you can expect to catch small trout, or bandies, as some forum members call them, but I did manage to catch a few bigger specimens on this occasion.

I had hoped to fish loch Rannoch, but my wife had other ideas on that day! I will next year.

Some pics.

Douglas

An 11'' fattie from Loch Laidon.

pain poems make you cry

Another good fish from LL

Schiehallion in the distance, for those who know the area

At 12" best from the stream - launched itself at my cdc sedge.

A lot of rock hopping required. There are some deep deep pools in this stream, great fun with a dry fly.

Another good fish on the dry - different colouring strain.

Last edited:

eddleston123

Just back from Rannoch moor. I did manage to escape (twice). First session was Loch Laidon - second on the Garbh Ghaoir river - sometimes called the Alt Garb or simply the Gaur - All very confusing, but simply put, it is the river that runs from Loch Laidon into Loch Eigheach.

Normally, you could expect to get into double figures on these venues, but the recent warm spell made things a bit challenging. Things were certainly freshened up by spells of torrential rain.

In the main, you can expect to catch small trout, or bandies, as some forum members call them, but I did manage to catch a few bigger specimens on this occasion.

I had hoped to fish loch Rannoch, but my wife had other ideas on that day! I will next year.

Some pics.

Scotty Mitchell

Normally, you could expect to get into double figures on these venues, but the recent warm spell made things a bit challenging. Things were certainly freshened up by spells of torrential rain.

Some pics.

Douglas

An 11'' fattie from Loch Laidon.

pain poems make you cry

Another good fish from LL

Schiehallion in the distance, for those who know the area

At 12" best from the stream - launched itself at my cdc sedge.

A lot of rock hopping required. There are some deep deep pools in this stream, great fun with a dry fly.

Another good fish on the dry - different colouring strain.
Well fished Douglas, I have yet to get round to that but it’s very high on the list, easily do able for me in a day too so no excuses. Might be one for the back end.

eddleston123

Well fished Douglas, I have yet to get round to that but it’s very high on the list, easily do able for me in a day too so no excuses. Might be one for the back end.
Hi Scotty,

I, personally, could not do that round trip in one day and squeeze a bit of fishing in the middle, but there again, I hate driving!

I have it in my mind to maybe drive up there, fish, and then sleep overnight in the car, perhaps at the side of loch Rannoch, then fish for the second day, before driving home.

I might do something like that come September. That would give me a couple of days fishing, assuming this drought and warm weather doesn't continue. I am hoping that this unsettled spell heralds the end of this dry period.

Some lovely plump, little W.O.L trout there.
Love the colours!

Douglas

Last edited:

Scotty Mitchell

Hi Scotty,

I, personally, could not do that round trip in one day and squeeze a bit of fishing in the middle, but there again, I hate driving!

I have it in my mind to maybe drive up there, fish, and then sleep overnight in the car, perhaps at the side of loch Rannoch, then fish for the second day, before driving home.

I might do something like that come September. That would give me a couple of days fishing, assuming this drought and warm weather doesn't continue. I am hoping that this unsettled spell heralds the end of this dry period.

Some lovely plump, little W.O.L trout there.
Love the colours!

Douglas
Here’s hoping Douglas

bibio1st

A change of river today, trout and grayling in this one, weather wasn’t much cop with frequent rain, sometimes very heavy and gusting wind also, river coming down and coloured, fished nymphs from the start and the fish obliged, plenty of trout taking the point fly mostly but the dropper catching also, the trout were mainly up to 6oz but did lose 3 bigger fish, 2 when airborne and the other snapped me, the grayling were the better fish on the whole and had one 40cm plus, best fish of the day and another about 30cm.
FB9C1AB6-BCC2-47D2-A6FC-2A6A5E89D8BA.jpeg
04AC14DF-5796-4528-A29C-DAF451D796BF.jpeg

1415F5E4-C7D1-4B8C-BC85-CBFAD20E6D2C.jpeg

Steve

eddleston123

Fished the reservoir today. Fished for five hour. Saved a blank with one fish at the last gasp!

The reservoir is still very low, but the torrential rain over the past 24 hours has certainly cooled the edges. I know, because I was wet wading today.

Nothing at all showing on the surface. I think they are all sulking in the basement. Trad wets a waste of time. Also had a few nips.

Had a look at the river on the way back home, it has much more water than a week ago. I'll give this a cast later in the week.

Douglas

My one and only today - a nice fish at 12''

I would have thought that all that torrential rain over the past few days would have raised the level a bit. Maybe It takes time to filter through!

Last edited:

Mr Notherone

Had an excellent evening yesterday with a hat-full of smallish trout and one decent one. The river was up slightly and a little coloured which helped. These days I rarely fish the duo, but there is one run where it particularly suits and I couldn't see any risers. Second cast and a fish took the dry. As I played it in, I saw a second grayling take the nymph. Against the odds I got them both in the net. It's years since I got a double hook up on a river and then I don't remember netting both. This season is full of surprises.
IMG_6861.jpg

Mrtrout

Well at last the Eden got some water, it’s up about a foot and a bit dark, not brown but coloured.
Great to see some fresh water passing through the fishes gills, they’ve waited over eight weeks for it.
Just had a couple of hours on a bit local to me before supper.
Nothing rising so I stuck an Appleby nymph on one of my own tyings.
First a lovely wee brownie around 12 ozs, three casts later this fine lad took hold, quite a fight he put up in fast water around 2.5and beautiful.
Christened my lovely new Eden made wooden net with the deeper rubber mesh, much easier to keep the fish in whilst fumbling in pockets.
E9F3D9D0-554F-490A-89E8-E56F25458F3C.jpeg
7056ADC6-6581-4176-A1C2-E8380035A870.jpeg

Scotty90

D2CF0651-BF21-427E-BA3E-4C824CDAE246.jpeg
1F5412D1-8498-43F2-88B9-EAC849DE0F5E.jpeg
Another couple of hours on the W.O.L today, bit of a funny day actually, I had a few on dries as there was a decent hatch of olives and plenty sedge skittering around. Cloudy and spot on weather as well but the fish stopped rising so after about 6 fish to dries I switched over to the duo and had another 6 fish on hotspot ptns with 2.5mm tungsten beads. Enjoyable wee session. Only took a couple of photos because I was in the groove on the dries and forgot about my mobile phone.

Last edited: