Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

Scotty90

Hi Scott,

Can I ask you have you ever caught a grayling on the w.o.l. or is that a thing of the past.

Douglas
Hi Douglas, I’ve never caught any grayling no, I have heard stories of them further into the town though. Below dean village. I’ve certainly never seen any. I usually just fish the tweed or the Lyne for them.
Scott

alfie trout

Well at last the Eden got some water, it’s up about a foot and a bit dark, not brown but coloured.
Great to see some fresh water passing through the fishes gills, they’ve waited over eight weeks for it.
Just had a couple of hours on a bit local to me before supper.
Nothing rising so I stuck an Appleby nymph on one of my own tyings.
First a lovely wee brownie around 12 ozs, three casts later this fine lad took hold, quite a fight he put up in fast water around 2.5and beautiful.
Christened my lovely new Eden made wooden net with the deeper rubber mesh, much easier to keep the fish in whilst fumbling in pockets.
View attachment 42114View attachment 42115

smallmouth

After last weeks mediocre Monday, with fish probably sulking after a busy weekend, I waited til Wednesday for another week day on the river.

I had the river to myself, but still started on the upper, less accessible length. First up was a #20 pheasant tail, with a leaded thorax rather than a bead. I’ve a feeling these fish have seen enough beads, though I’ve just bought some 2mm matt brown ones to see if subtlety might help.

The pheasant tail lasted about ten minutes, before a grayling rose, thus consigning it to the lambs wool. It was replaced by a #20 dry stone fly, as described in the latest FF&FT, just a slim deer hair wing and dubbed body. A fish first cast...

AAF92621-4E24-4E20-9673-B40485DB537E.jpeg

Several more small grayling as I worked my way up to a run that always produces decent trout. First fish here was another small grayling and that was it. Judging by all the boot prints below and lengths of tippet fluttering above, this place has been well flogged since I was last here in April.

In a fast run above a tumbledown weir I finally hooked a trout. It took me under a log and neatly transferred the barbless hook to the wood......

Faced with either a long stretch of slow flat thin water, or back downstream to the car for lunch. On the way back, I remembered how just over a year to the day, a small black foam beetle had produced in a particular area. Well it’d be rude not to........first cast the beetle was taken by a decent trout which after crashing around doing a demolition job, turned out to be a rainbow.

1D563897-C4DE-4D26-8C32-3C8A2144C256.jpeg

So back to the car to let the area settle.

After lunch my first brownie was to #24 Griffiths Gnat in a slow deep area. Not much else happened as I hurriedly fished back up to the beetle area. Once there I dithered over my standard black foam/peacock, finally choosing a new one in #18 I’d concocted from pale tan foam, Krystal flash legs and Hends caddis green spectra, thinking of those small iridescent beetles.

A decent brownie liked the beige beetle, followed by another couple. Even the grayling liked it. Every fish I managed a good presentation to, accepted it.

E6D964A8-F38C-44E3-AA86-873D36BE4E85.jpeg

AF552701-3521-4B10-998B-0C2B15D8CF26.jpeg

Best tie some more up then.....
B4BA1CBF-399F-4022-A5F2-52F5433FD240.jpeg

Last edited:

heathenwoods

It's been a while but since I last logged on I've had some good days and a few great days. Monday wasn't bad at all; nineteen trout, mostly brownies but a couple of rainbows too. I didn't have the full day which is a shame as the river was near perfect: coloured and falling. The fish were feeding opportunistically with most coming to a #16 jingler on fast and slow water alike.

mon.jpg

Hopefully, tomorrow I'll be having a bit of an explore upstream from here.

GraylingFin

I had a very good couple of hours a few days ago.
The rain has brought much needed water, had reshuffled things up a bit and got fish moving.
No activity on the surface so I stuck to my preferred method of nymphs this season.
Started working my way upstream and lost 2 small fish that took as I was lifting.
Then I had my best 40 minutes or so for a long time, maybe ever.
Caught 3 good solid fish that took me all over the place to land them. The first one bolted down downstream to faster, shallower water so I had to do my best not to fall on my back on the uneven river bed. I couldn't go any further because of some bushes but managed to get it out of the main current. So glad I was on 5x tippet.
The other two were all over the place too but the pool was more open and the flow was constant.
All came around the 17/17.5" mark. There's not grassy bank there to lay them flat against the rod so I count the holes in the net to gauge size.

Attachments

• IMG_20210810_204240.jpg
    IMG_20210810_204240.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210810_204300.jpg
    IMG_20210810_204300.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210810_204324.jpg
    IMG_20210810_204324.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20210810_204342.jpg
    IMG_20210810_204342.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210810_204412.jpg
    IMG_20210810_204412.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210810_204422.jpg
    IMG_20210810_204422.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22

heathenwoods

As I hoped, I was back on the river today. It was harder going! Clear, low, and (mostly) sunny. I tempted a few up and caught the two I saw rising. Rainbows won 4-3. Nothing huge but the one in the photo was spectacular. Yes, I've tried to tweak the photo a little to convey the vividness of its colour. I was expecting small CDC things (18s, 20s) to tempt a few but everything came to #16 generic CDC/deer hair caddis type flies. No manicured banks here! (The 'Unhappy camper' trhead cracked me up)

IMG_20210812_212350.jpg

Mrtrout

The curse of the blank is over….a grayling and two brownies from the upper Nidd.
Phew.
B
Well done B, I’ve got a new rod to christen tomorrow, it’s second outing, I blanked first time with it.
Im on the Swale near Richmond tomorrow poaching some of your Yorkshire trout, don’t worry they’ll all go back unharmed. ;)
S.

jaybeegee

Well done B, I’ve got a new rod to christen tomorrow, it’s second outing, I blanked first time with it.
Im on the Swale near Richmond tomorrow poaching some of your Yorkshire trout, don’t worry they’ll all go back unharmed. ;)
S.
Thanks Steven, we’ve had a drop of fresh that’s run off but still carrying a tinge of colour, a big improvement. Good luck on the Swale….I can guess what the rod is! 😉
B

Mr Notherone

S.
Two blanks in a row and I'd be passing that broomstick on at a bargain price. No room in the armoury for a rod that won't catch... ;)

Mrtrout

Thanks Steven, we’ve had a drop of fresh that’s run off but still carrying a tinge of colour, a big improvement. Good luck on the Swale….I can guess what the rod is! 😉
B
No it’s not the SLT B, I’ve christened that already. :love:
It’s a Hardy Shadow Sintrix, I had one before but foolishly sold it, I had a few fish on that, same size 4864, anyway I gave in and bought another new, but it’s yet to get a bend in it.
Now we’ve had a lift in water I feel confident it’ll happen tomorrow.
S

heathenwoods

I'm taking my kids to Skye at the end of the week (Saturday, can't wait!) and got in touch with the Portree club to ask about the Loch near where we're staying (Torrin). Apparently, it might be an idea to tie up some teal, silver and blue as well as few other sea trout patterns. I don't have any blue hackle (although maybe I could have subbed in blue goats hair) so ended up in Bakewell Orvis this morning. Bakewell's not that far downstream from where I fish the Wye. So, unplanned, I decided to cast a line. I might as well, eh?

And knackered myself out and fished through a torrential downpour but had a great day! Lots of action to a deer hair/CDC and also some interest in a scruffy deer hair emerger with a red tag. I had 16 to the net but the sweetest by far was the top rainbow. It sits on a tight, narrow corner under lots of tree cover. I've had it on but lost it twice this season. Today, it stuck! And it was mid-downpour so that really lifted my spirits - I was getting cold, wet, and pissed off at that point :D

I won't see the Wye for at least a couple of weeks now so it was good way to say 'au revoir' to it

IMG_20210815_205631smlr.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210815_205631.jpg
    IMG_20210815_205631.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 22

sean freeman

A good day yesterday for me and a mate on a river between the two of us, we had dozens of hits through the day that didn’t connect or the fish dropped off! About 4-5 around the 2lbs mark or over with my mate landing the only 3lber of the day, a fish I had at 2.5 a few months ago, it’s putting on great condition and the take was savage!
4E93CC3B-F92B-4C08-A5C9-8057287DB78B.jpeg

3A48C89E-2D9E-436C-8E3D-F721F822D3F5.jpeg

211B34B9-EAA7-4489-80BD-03EB19F971B4.jpeg

ECA84593-AB40-40D8-8712-C2F7F7961E7C.jpeg

GEK79

Just back from Rannoch moor. I did manage to escape (twice). First session was Loch Laidon - second on the Garbh Ghaoir river - sometimes called the Alt Garb or simply the Gaur - All very confusing, but simply put, it is the river that runs from Loch Laidon into Loch Eigheach.

Normally, you could expect to get well into double figures on these venues, but the recent warm spell made things a bit challenging. Things were certainly freshened up by spells of torrential rain.

In the main, you can expect to catch small trout, or bandies, as some forum members call them, but I did manage to catch a few bigger specimens on this occasion.

I had hoped to fish loch Rannoch, but my wife had other ideas on that day! I will next year.

Some pics.

Douglas

An 11'' fattie from Loch Laidon.

pain poems make you cry

Another good fish from LL

Schiehallion in the distance, for those who know the area

At 12" best from the stream - launched itself at my cdc sedge.

A lot of rock hopping required. There are some deep deep pools in this stream, great fun with a dry fly.

Another good fish on the dry - different colouring strain.
Thanks for sharing took me on your adventure too.. 👍👍

GEK79

A good day yesterday for me and a mate on a river between the two of us, we had dozens of hits through the day that didn’t connect or the fish dropped off! About 4-5 around the 2lbs mark or over with my mate landing the only 3lber of the day, a fish I had at 2.5 a few months ago, it’s putting on great condition and the take was savage!
View attachment 42390
View attachment 42391
View attachment 42392
View attachment 42393
Some fine shots lad and nice heavy looking fish nice result...

Latest posts