Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

Paul_B

A friend of ours was telling me that it cost him more to go on a river with his kayak than it costs us to fish.
I said that surprises me as we can pay owt from £30- £300 a day for salmon fishing and just a bit less for trout fishing.

With gob wide open, he said, no wonder they get peed of with us, he thought we only paid for a rod licence once a year like they did with the waterways licence,

Rhithrogena

Turn up at your river beat and find notices saying no fishing today due to canoe races.

They will not lend their voices to help with the water quality situation unless there is something in it for them, and that "something" will be unfettered access at all times to all rivers.
Boaters deserve access to rivers. Why can't I paddle my kayak down any river? The system at the moment is not fair, with the result that waters which do have access for boaters are mobbed at certain times of year.
Anglers (and more importantly, riparian owners) need to learn to share.
We are too used to seeing PRIVATE - NO TREPASSING signs in the UK.

Rhithrogena

A friend of ours was telling me that it cost him more to go on a river with his kayak than it costs us to fish.
I said that surprises me as we can pay owt from £30- £300 a day for salmon fishing and just a bit less for trout fishing.

With gob wide open, he said, no wonder they get peed of with us, he thought we only paid for a rod licence once a year like they did with the waterways licence,
Quite. These ridiculous prices give anglers a justifiable sense of entitlement. If waters were better looked after by the state, and access was more achievable for all, we wouldn't have such an imbalance.
One thing is for sure: shallow draught canoes disturb fish a lot less than sticking hooks in their faces. Of course the public would agree. Anglers need to open up and plan for shared use, and to force the government to repair the damage to rivers for all to enjoy. Fishers, boaters, swimmers, walkers, birders.
We are in a dark place for UK river health. Urgent action is needed and the more folk on board the better.

Mr Notherone

Anglers need to open up and plan for shared use, and to force the government to repair the damage to rivers for all to enjoy. Fishers, boaters, swimmers, walkers, birders.
We are in a dark place for UK river health. Urgent action is needed and the more folk on board the better.
I has taken me quite a while to come to a similar conclusion. Rivers will not become a priority until a broad coalition of interest groups come together. This is starting to happen. I'd much rather share my rivers than watch them die.

BobP

Sharing is one thing, excluded is another and it is the latter that will come to pass in any "alliance" with the boating community. Fishing, boating, canoeing, walking and swimming are not good bed fellows. Bird watching is probably OK as they tend to creep about in cammo gear or sit quietly in a hide.

You'll get a group of 20 canoes, probably 30 or more people. They come ashore for lunch. Do you really think they are going to take their rubbish away with them? Of course they won't. They'll just dump it and go on their way. Walkers will do the same, and dog walkers will hang their doggy sh*t bags in the trees like some disgusting Christmas tree decoration.

Scotty90

Had a great wee session on the water of leith today, started on the dries in a lovely riffle just along from Stenhouse industrial estate, had a couple of small fish on #18 olive f flies.

I worked upstream fishing pocket water and pools with nymphs picking up fish here and there. Fished a wee bit duo picking up a few on 2.5mm pink bead french nymphs and finished up on a french leader (again on pink and copper bead french nymphs) at the visitor centre at Slateford.

Ended up with about 28 fish, some bigger than others and, for the first time in at least a decade on the water of leith, I was snapped off with a brute of a fish.
394CAEE7-3D44-4F13-A33B-570E5C52EB0C.jpeg
89CA1007-5C6E-4E65-9340-D4846AEDB5B8.jpeg
E3850CDA-9358-4BD7-9DCA-3C9A2C7D97BE.jpeg
B18F484D-4583-404D-A842-FF2E78EB18FD.jpeg
6FBF2B67-2ECC-4ABF-9C3C-F0052B3412E2.jpeg
088C8296-CC30-4C63-B9D8-87FF03A1A330.jpeg
C1D377E1-9A22-4ECC-B995-46B4482A3FC0.jpeg

eddleston123

Had a short late afternoon session on the Upper Tweed (One and a half hours) Nothing rising but fished a searching dry fly from the off. 3 Fish, one small and the other 2, - 10 -11''

There was one lunker that showed itself a couple of times, but it was out of reach of my casting ability. I could have waded a bit further in, but I rarely go above knee height these days. Big Feartie.

Might go down to the reservoir tomorrow - probably a waste of time, but if I can winkle a couple out, then that would do me under these low water conditions.

Douglas

russian image host

Need to treat myself to a new waterproof camera - Don't know if they still make Olympus anymore.

Last edited:

eddleston123

Had a great wee session on the water of leith today, started on the dries in a lovely riffle just along from Stenhouse industrial estate, had a couple of small fish on #18 olive f flies.

I worked upstream fishing pocket water and pools with nymphs picking up fish here and there. Fished a wee bit duo picking up a few on 2.5mm pink bead french nymphs and finished up on a french leader (again on pink and copper bead french nymphs) at the visitor centre at Slateford.

Ended up with about 28 fish, some bigger than others and, for the first time in at least a decade on the water of leith, I was snapped off with a brute of a fish. View attachment 42520View attachment 42521View attachment 42522View attachment 42523View attachment 42524View attachment 42525View attachment 42526
Hi Scott,

Well done, a good session.
Said it before, but these brownies have stunning colours. Your pics are crystal clear. I think a new waterproof camera is on the cards for me.

Douglas

Last edited:

Scotty90

Hi Scott,

Well done, a good session.
Said it before, but these brownies have stunning colours. Your pics are crystal clear. I think a new waterproof camera is on the cards.

Douglas
Aye it was a good session, I really enjoyed it today. They are really bonnie fish, the first and second fish were both caught behind Saughton prison, just goes to show what a gem this river is, it feels like you’re miles away but you walk under city roads, through industrial estates and behind maximum security prisons.

The photographs I just take with my iPhone camera. I don’t like carrying lots of stuff, I don’t even bother with a bag. I just put two spools of reflo tippet, fly box and gink in my front wader pocket then stick my mobile in my inside pocket.
Scott

eddleston123

Aye it was a good session, I really enjoyed it today. They are really bonnie fish, the first and second fish were both caught behind Saughton prison, just goes to show what a gem this river is, it feels like you’re miles away but you walk under city roads, through industrial estates and behind maximum security prisons.

The photographs I just take with my iPhone camera. I don’t like carrying lots of stuff, I don’t even bother with a bag. I just put two spools of reflo tippet, fly box and gink in my front wader pocket then stick my mobile in my inside pocket.
Scott

I'm quite envious of your lightweight approach to fishing.

I am more of a kitchen sink man!

Douglas

dcb

Great to see the WoL is still able to provide some great fishing. Not fished it for a good number of years, but, it's great to see a good head of wild fish thriving in there.

Scotty Mitchell

A bit more water helped things on the Tay yesterday late afternoon. Fished a stretch of pure pocket water for around 2 hours dropping a single tungsten nymph into said pockets. Had lots of on and offs due me being as sharp as a carrot after work, but it kept me entertained 😃
Actually released this one and another 2 of the same ilk.
AB7E59BA-6733-4780-917C-DCC49B3D3E94.jpeg

eddleston123

Spent two hours at the reservoir today. No surface activity at all. Tried various methods. Not even a nip. I kind of expected that but I thought I'd give it a chuck anyway. All was not lost as I decided to journey down to the Yarrow. I think they must have released some water from St. Mary's Loch as I though the river would have been be lower.

Fished for another couple of hours - 2 Fish on dry fly - Lost 2 - missed a couple of rises. I was quite content with that.

Douglas

Missed it first cast, hooked it on the second cast. Don't usually get a second chance!

Had my lunch among the monkey flowers (orange ones)

Last edited:

Scotty Mitchell

Spent two hours at the reservoir today. No surface activity at all. Tried various methods. Not even a nip. I kind of expected that but I thought I'd give it a chuck anyway. All was not lost as I decided to journey down to the Yarrow. I think they must have released some water from St. Mary's Loch as I though the river would have been be lower.

Fished for another couple of hours - 2 Fish on dry fly - Lost 2 - missed a couple of rises. I was quite content with that.

Douglas

Missed it first cast, hooked it on the second cast. Don't usually get a second chance!

Had my lunch among the monkey flowers (orange ones)
Nice one Douglas, adopt, adapt and overcome 👍
I’m on Turret on Sunday, I figure it’s got to wake up sometime and if I’m not there, I won’t know.

eddleston123

Nice one Douglas, adopt, adapt and overcome 👍
I’m on Turret on Sunday, I figure it’s got to wake up sometime and if I’m not there, I won’t know.

Wish you success on Sunday. The trout have got to feed at some time!

I've had no success at all during the past 4/5 visits with traditional wets. However, I've caught (not today) using a size 10 tungsten ptn (single) I've been casting it out a fair distance, and counting down 15 secs. I've retrieved it with a fast figure of eight.

However, that is all academic as it didn't work today!

Douglas

p.s. That's a lovely Tay trout.

Latest posts