Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

Mrtrout

I had a couple of small grayling on dries yesterday Eden is as low as I’ve ever seen it. I’m getting fed up of forecasts for heavy rain which haven’t materialised for over ten weeks.
The whole system needs a good flush very soon it’s becoming a joke.
I had a near calamity yesterday, I decided to change my fly midstream luckily I was only in about 18” of water, took my box out, a compartment box mainly holding CDC patterns and picked out a #18 F fly somehow I managed to catch the edge of the box with my finger just before I closed the lid.
Suddenly over 100 flies fell into the river, it was quite slow flowing thankfully and my rod was held in my Smiths Creek rod holder.
I started trying to scoop them from the surface and just Chuck them into the empty box, it’s not easy as when you put your hand in the flies swirl either side of your palm. I did get the majority back maybe watched a dozen sail off downstream and a few very tiny CDCs sank.
I should use lidded compartment boxes I know, it’s made me think, if the water had been any faster I could have watched a good few quid float away.
S.

GEK79

Great couple of hours on the WoL today, started off rainy and stopped but stayed overcast, strangely I never seen a single riser today but I planned to fish nymphs anyway.

Duo was today’s method, cdc hackle UV ribbed ptn and a fox squirrel hares ear with orange rib were the nymphs (2.8mm copper and gold tungsten) and the dry was a bushy klink. I fished from the back of Stenhouse industrial estate upstream to the visitor centre at Slateford picking off fish from the usual places. I caught loads today, probably around 30, mostly small fish but beautiful. View attachment 43269View attachment 43270View attachment 43271View attachment 43272View attachment 43273View attachment 43274
Looks like an enjoyable day.. 👍👍

mebu

Sympathies Steven, I have lost flies in a similar manner.
For me the worst bit was not the financial loss but the thought of all those hours sweating over a hot vice.
At least as you say, could have been a lot worse.

Peter

Gdog

On Friday I went down to a lake in Co. Westmeath where I occasionally go for a quiet days boat fishing.

The temperatures had been up to 25 C with 100% humidity on Wednesday, but fallen to a more comfortable 18-19 C on Friday coupled with full cloud cover and a gentle westerly breeze, conditions looked promising.

I tried fishing the margins with 2 wets on a floater for the first hour and a half, but only rose one fish. There were a few longhorns and cinnamon sedges fluttering around and an occasional rise.

Noticing a few fish moving out in the middle of the lake, I headed out and I immediately rose another fish, a few minutes later I hooked a 10 inch wild trout on an Invicta. After a quick lunch break I headed back out and caught 2 more wild trout of about 10 - 11 inches inches including this guy.

20210910_143502.jpg

It's awkward trying to get a decent photograph of a trout in a net in a boat when fishing on your own, this is the best shot I managed.
This lake is stocked with 2 year old trout before the start of the season, I managed 4 fish of 1 to 1 1/4 lbs all stocked in the spring and one of 1 3/4 lbs which I guess was a well mended stocked trout from 2020, all caught in deeper water.

Sucessful flies were Invicta, Fiery Brown, and Kate McClaren.

I've found it difficult to go fishing this year, a late start due to Covid, a Gallbladder problem, and a hot summer have limited my opportunities, but there is still 1 month left in the season and hopefully another post on this thread.

Kieranmcd123

Spent two hours at the reservoir today. No surface activity at all. Tried various methods. Not even a nip. I kind of expected that but I thought I'd give it a chuck anyway. All was not lost as I decided to journey down to the Yarrow. I think they must have released some water from St. Mary's Loch as I though the river would have been be lower.

Fished for another couple of hours - 2 Fish on dry fly - Lost 2 - missed a couple of rises. I was quite content with that.

Douglas

Missed it first cast, hooked it on the second cast. Don't usually get a second chance!

Had my lunch among the monkey flowers (orange ones)

Hi mate, nice catch.

I'm new to the borders and was wondering if you know if you need a permit to fish the Yarrow or Etrick waters?

I fish the Gala and tweed near Galashiels but always looking for new spot... especially just now since the waters are v low. Cheers!

eddleston123

Hi mate, nice catch.

I'm new to the borders and was wondering if you know if you need a permit to fish the Yarrow or Etrick waters?

I fish the Gala and tweed near Galashiels but always looking for new spot... especially just now since the waters are v low. Cheers!
Yes, a permit is required. a day ticket covers you for for both waters.

I normally get a season ticket at the start of the year (this covers both the ettrick and the yarrow)
I get my ticket from the Selkirk and District Angling Association.

As for a day ticket, I think that the Gordon Arms Hotel will provide one. Phone first to be on the safe side.

a.t.b.

Douglas

smallmouth

I should use lidded compartment boxes I know, it’s made me think, if the water had been any faster I could have watched a good few quid float away
All my river flies are in one of these......

Go on...........treat yourself......................

Kieranmcd123

Yes, a permit is required. a day ticket covers you for for both waters.

I normally get a season ticket at the start of the year (this covers both the ettrick and the yarrow)
I get my ticket from the Selkirk and District Angling Association.

As for a day ticket, I think that the Gordon Arms Hotel will provide one. Phone first to be on the safe side.

a.t.b.

Douglas
Thanks a lot! tough to find info online about Selkirk AA so helps a lot

Mrtrout

All my river flies are in one of these......

Go on...........treat yourself......................
They are a nice solution, I have several metal and plastic boxes with lidded compartments I can use though.
Ive been using the Myran types for the last few years.
S.

eddleston123

A short session today. Much much cooler. A few small fish, but nothing of any great size. I think the bigger ones have other things on their mind at the moment.

Started off with a size 16 parachute adams. No interest. I then stepped it up to a 14, It was only when I stuck on a big muckle size 12 that I started getting some rises, most of which I missed.

Sometimes I think that at certain times a 'meaty mouthful' are what they are looking for. Perhaps it could also be an aggressive thing.

If it stays cooler, I'll have one final fling at the reservoir before the season ends.

Douglas

wells fargo bank near here

The only thing big about this one was the tail!

Different colouration caught within a few yards of each other.

A definite Autumn feel today

Today they preferred the bigger fly!

Last edited:

jerryrum

Just had a few days down on the River Taw at Chulmleigh.

I try and get down there once a year (pandemics permitting) but the last two trips were washed out.

This time we did better with the weather. There was some rain about, but it only brought the levels up slightly, and it seemed to wake the trout up.

Caught plenty of fish, but most were only little 7 inchers:
FH1.jpg

but that is all I would expect out of the shallow rapids I prefer to fish:
FH2.jpg

they were beautiful little fish though (this one landed on the bank when I over-struck, mistaking him for something bigger):
FH9.jpg

The best tactics seemed to be beaded nymphs in the morning, Klink and dink in the afternoon, and dry only in the early evening.

It was in the evenings when the slightly bigger trout came out to play:
FH3.jpg

This one fought on top of the water, jumping several times

FH4.jpg

This one opted for a more traditional tactic of staying deep and racing up and down the pool.

TBH this break was more about relaxing than my usual fishing trips. We stayed in a hotel (rather than a cabin or tent) and the bar and restaurant took up a lot of what perhaps should have been fishing time.

On a final note, I saw my first ever wild salmon. Huge great thing boiled at my fly and scared the hell out of me.

I saw it jump a couple of times after, and I couldn't believe the size of it.

So, saw a Salmon, caught a few trout, ate and drank far too much. That is what I call a holiday.

Paul_B

Scotty90

I had a few hours on the WoL today, fished from Stenhouse to Slateford again. It was raining and dreich all day here in Edinburgh but the fishing was great.
I fished the duo as usual opting for cdc hackle ptns with uv ribs and hot ribbed hares ears with 2.8mm tungsten beads, the indicator fly was a bushy klink.
I picked up fish everywhere today but mostly caught them in the faster water. Minnows were throwing themselves at the nymphs as well, funny wee things. I also seen a cracking big heron just standing like a sentinel on a pipe. Enjoyable day.
ED9C3AAB-D160-4DBE-B883-623E3B3843F2.jpeg
B64F932E-54FE-48EC-99B0-1D6C3B837237.jpeg
899307E9-5EB6-4EA3-96CA-2ED79CB42C84.jpeg
7D5350BB-BB3F-47F5-8CBE-A26CAF07B8AF.jpeg
B40BFD64-E4B2-4BD5-8035-A1526BE23975.jpeg
C82F459F-054B-4A8D-84B1-3857750EF921.jpeg
1C1CEB87-3BE4-4E11-830D-9855383E0395.jpeg
3B5BBC4A-272B-443C-AC98-B620AC486986.jpeg
60E93F68-788C-42D3-BA30-55765ADCACEA.jpeg
81C40000-C295-4D18-A9CF-AD7DA12EE682.jpeg

Mrtrout

On our local news this evening it stated the Lake District and Cumbria have had only one third of the normal rainfall this summer.
Its certainly been the longest driest three months I can remember for a long time.
This is a picture today of the river Lyvennet looking downstream from the metal bridge in case anyone knows it, a serious state of affairs.
S.
D30D7BEB-4320-4F7B-BB5F-2D5945E83453.jpeg

eddleston123

On our local news this evening it stated the Lake District and Cumbria have had only one third of the normal rainfall this summer.
Its certainly been the longest driest three months I can remember for a long time.
This is a picture today of the river Lyvennet looking downstream from the metal bridge in case anyone knows it, a serious state of affairs.
S.View attachment 43464
The rivers and streams up my way are low, but no where near as low as yours. I do sympathise.

The obvious problem is that there is absolutely diddly squat, nothing that we can do about it.

It does irritate me somewhat when the weather forecaster announces in a cheery way that the weather is going to be 'good' - This generally means dry and sunny, or on the other hand, if there is going to be some slight drizzle, its almost presented as a 'dire' warning.

Douglas

Latest posts