Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

rabmax

On our local news this evening it stated the Lake District and Cumbria have had only one third of the normal rainfall this summer.
Its certainly been the longest driest three months I can remember for a long time.
This is a picture today of the river Lyvennet looking downstream from the metal bridge in case anyone knows it, a serious state of affairs.
S.View attachment 43464
Don't think there has been a spate for around 6 months in Ayrshire.Think this is the longest drought in my lifetime.Normally we get all the rain.

Lauderdale

Went out again for a couple of hours yesterday, this was the only one caught, hardly anything rising and water levels very low, going to give it a miss untill we get some rain.

1631952181790.png

1631952201146.png

codyarrow

This is a tale of three blanks. Hiked and biked up to this loch three times now and so far my results have been zilch. The only fish I have seen move are the two that had a look at my sedge on my second trip.
IMG_0962.JPG

Takes just over an exhausting hour to get there and ten minutes to recover so why bother? Well that wee bit of water has 10lb + WBT in it's locker. :) Most waters like this have abundant food and poor breeding conditions, therefore low volume of fish. Although there was plenty of surface fly life the lack of any movement is probably down to the fact they are well fed down below, and just the low density of fish. Spent 4 mostly un fruitful hours, the only highlight witnessing a stickleback fight, which resulted in a fatality. Also come across gamarrus on my waders, which along with the fry maybe the primary food source?
Got one fish pic for you.
IMG_0963.JPG

Another season and that would be 3lb+. Angler discard I am almost sure of. Would like to think it died through bleeding out, but the location I found it in suggests otherwise?
That will probably be it for that Loch this year. Would like to catch a few fish on what remains of the season.

eddleston123

My rain dance didn't work - water still warm and shrinking fast at Talla reservoir (this was a few days ago, I didn't fish)

Was thinking of hanging up my rod for the season, but last night, it rained heavily for a couple of hours. The Tweed was looking a bit better today, with some small dimpling rises (I suspect small grayling) .

The Tweed might be worth a chuck tomorrow.

Douglas

target exercise ball

Last edited:

jaybeegee

My rain dance didn't work - water still warm and shrinking fast at Talla reservoir (this was a few days ago, I didn't fish)

Was thinking of hanging up my rod for the season, but last night, it rained heavily for a couple of hours. The Tweed was looking a bit better today, with some small dimpling rises (I suspect small grayling) .

The Tweed might be worth a chuck tomorrow.

Douglas

target exercise ball
Don’t give up Douglas, it’s a long closed season. Our trout fishing is over on the 30th and I plan at least five outings before then though we could do with a drop of water down here too.
B

Mrtrout

Don’t give up Douglas, it’s a long closed season. Our trout fishing is over on the 30th and I plan at least five outings before then though we could do with a drop of water down here too.
B
I have a feeling we may get a decent bit of rain on Thursday/Friday this week, don’t hold me to it though.
S.

mebu

Out on the river today to test/christen my new 10ft 3wt, on a stretch I often visit.
River still low and very clear, even after some rain in the night.
Started with team of spiders, as usual. Couple of 3" grayling and parr, then probably the best brown I have had for a couple of seasons on this river. A good sized grayling among some smaller fish, then some bright sunshine for a while which stopped any action. Star of the spiders was definitely snipe/waterhen bloa, on droppers and the point.
Had a go on french nymphing, rod worked well but wasn't enjoying it as much as surface work so after a few fish, back on with spiders as sun disappeared in the drizzle. Swinging small beaded hare's ear nymph pulled a few good sized, and some less good sized, grayling.
Didn't try dries, saw maybe 2 fish rise all day, but happy the rod will work well at this.

An impulse buy, as it is about twice the price of the Streamflex I have been using, is it twice as good? No, of course not, but having tried it with various methods, a little lighter and happy with it.

Peter

GraylingFin

Had a nice session a few days ago. It was a bit of a slow start as there weren't any rises and I wasn't finding fish with nymphs. Tried deep in pools and got nothing until I tried in shallower parts around head of pools and that's were they were laying. Ended up with 4 trouts and 2 graylings.
Saturday was even better. I fished nymphs again and straight away had a double hook up. Then nothing for an hour other than a few small fish.
Kept working my way upstream and caught a grayling, then connected to a good trout, for some reason I didn't get it out of the main current and siddenly moved quickly upstream wrapping around something. I thought I still had it but it managed to get away and what I had now hooked was a loggy piece of branch.
A bit gutted but kept trying and it paid off.
Connected to another fish that at first did not seem that big but it decided to bolt downstream full speed and realised that it was a good one. I didn't want to even try stopping it as it entered some rapids, so I follow it and thought I will lose it as I couldn't keep up having to sort out boulders and rocks.
Eventually caught up with it some 50mts+ downstream and managed to net it.
Came to 18" or so.

Attachments

• IMG_20210917_144844.jpg
    IMG_20210917_144844.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20210917_144829.jpg
    IMG_20210917_144829.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20210917_145632.jpg
    IMG_20210917_145632.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20210917_145017.jpg
    IMG_20210917_145017.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20210918_145148.jpg
    IMG_20210918_145148.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20210918_145234.jpg
    IMG_20210918_145234.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20210918_145027.jpg
    IMG_20210918_145027.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38

eddleston123

Had a few hours on the upper Tweed today. I fished the first couple of hours with various nymphs. I was hoping to catch a grayling, but to no avail. Switched to a searching dry fly. Five fish (trout), nothing big, but better than a blank.

No rises, nothing showing. There was a 'deadness' about today, however, I hooked everything that I rose, which was a change to recent outings.

I am envious of the trout caught in the above posts. Anyway, I hope to get another couple of sessions in before the doors close at the end of this month!

Douglas

[url=https://postimg.cc/rK870665] [/URL]

Biggest of the day. Nine Inches!

Mid September and still they come - I'd get more peace in the middle of princes street!

[url=https://postimg.cc/qgB9gVHy] [/URL]

This tasty looking pool has produced some crackers for me in the past. Not today though!

picture upload site

Last edited:

jaybeegee

Had a few hours on the upper Tweed today. I fished the first couple of hours with various nymphs. I was hoping to catch a grayling, but to no avail. Switched to a searching dry fly. Five fish (trout), nothing big, but better than a blank.

No rises, nothing showing. There was a 'deadness' about today, however, I hooked everything that I rose, which was a change to recent outings.

I am envious of the trout caught in the above posts. Anyway, I hope to get another couple of sessions in before the doors close at the end of this month!

Douglas

[url=https://postimg.cc/rK870665] [/URL]

Biggest of the day. Nine Inches!

Mid September and still they come - I'd get more peace in the middle of princes street!

picture upload site
You could build one of these in the close season Douglas. 😁

CEA00F6D-914D-453A-BA66-146021A2F69D.jpeg

eddleston123

You could build one of these in the close season Douglas. 😁

View attachment 43646
My wife is very aware when the fishing season ends. If it is anything like previous years, I'll be presented with a 'To Do' list as long as your arm fairly soon.

Douglas

p.s. From Oct to Dec I can fish the Clyde for grayling. Didn't fish it much last year, but I think I'll get myself a season ticket!

Mrtrout

Had a pleasant day on the upper Tees today, no fish pics but no one blanked. It was hard work strong downstream wind as always, stuck on dries and had a few small ones.
It was warm and sunny, I even had a snooze on the bank at lunchtime.
A few grouse dropping in I think there was a walked up day not far off and the ones that escaped landed close by.
Fished my Dibble cane rod today with Cadno silk line it’s always handy to use silk when casting into the wind.
Roger my partner also christened his new Dibble rod today with a first brownie.
D1CC49CC-F769-46FE-900C-D67A24BA8273.jpeg
51D41688-7E0B-4BF2-B49C-E2451F18672B.jpeg
D8703E7E-3678-4FC9-B39E-B53BD5EF61C4.jpeg

jaybeegee

Had a pleasant day on the upper Tees today, no fish pics but no one blanked. It was hard work strong downstream wind as always, stuck on dries and had a few small ones.
A few grouse dropping in I think there was a walked up day not far off and the ones that escaped landed close by.
Fished my Dibble cane rod today with Cadno silk line it’s always handy to use silk when casting into the wind.
Roger my partner also christened his new Dibble rod today with a first brownie.View attachment 43656View attachment 43657View attachment 43658
Cracking looking pocket water that is.
B

eddleston123

Roger my partner also christened his new Dibble rod today with a first brownie.View attachment 43656View attachment 43657View attachment 43658

Hi S,

It sounds like you had an enjoyable day.

It was a moderate to strong downstream wind today on the Tweed. I take it that your river runs from West to East.

The upper tweed is wide enough to fish a downstream dry fly, and that worked for me today.

That's a lovely looking stream. There are so many possibilities, I wouldn't know were to start!

Douglas

Mrtrout

Hi S,

It sounds like you had an enjoyable day.

It was a moderate to strong downstream wind today on the Tweed. I take it that your river runs from West to East.

The upper tweed is wide enough to fish a downstream dry fly, and that worked for me today.

That's a lovely looking stream. There are so many possibilities, I wouldn't know were to start!

Douglas
It’s no stream Douglas in fact it’s very wide and fast flowing, lots of pocket water, Tenkara works well if it’s not too windy.
Trouble is the valley is always windy, no trees at all, very rugged and unspoilt. It isn’t my favourite place to fish it’s very tiring after a few hours and it’s a very fast flowing river. On dries drag sets in immediately so it’s quite hard work. It’s full of small trout which are hungry and most will have a go at the fly.
S.

jaybeegee

It’s no stream Douglas in fact it’s very wide and fast flowing, lots of pocket water, Tenkara works well if it’s not too windy.
Trouble is the valley is always windy, no trees at all, very rugged and unspoilt. It isn’t my favourite place to fish it’s very tiring after a few hours and it’s a very fast flowing river. On dries drag sets in immediately so it’s quite hard work. It’s full of small trout which are hungry and most will have a go at the fly.
S.
I’m sure that very stretch featured in a Jonathan Barnes video. Is it day ticket water S?
B