Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

mebu

Lovely stretch Steven, but can be extremely hard going, especially over those boulder fields. I think the further up you go towards the spout, the hungrier - and the more numerous - the trout get. Certainly not wading for the faint hearted, fortunately much can be reached from the banks.
Wished I could have had a day there ( needs a stay-over for me), will have to wait until next season now.
Peter

Mrtrout

Lovely stretch Steven, but can be extremely hard going, especially over those boulder fields. I think the further up you go towards the spout, the hungrier - and the more numerous - the trout get. Certainly not wading for the faint hearted, fortunately much can be reached from the banks.
Wished I could have had a day there ( needs a stay-over for me), will have to wait until next season now.
Peter
The two lads with me today did just that, but I can’t keep up with them anymore, half a mile up and half a mile down from the car park is my lot.
It is hard going indeed.
S.

wobbly face

Well fished Steven. 🎣

Been there and done that. (y) 🎣 :) First time Peter was there and it was hard work with a strong downstream wind. Second time I went it was much easier. They say only one chance to catch a fish in the pockets, I caught 5 and lost one out of one bit alone.
I took my wading staff first time, more trouble than it was worth. Didn't bother second time.
MINI snout.jpg

Mrtrout

Well fished Steven. 🎣

Been there and done that. (y) 🎣 :) First time Peter was there and it was hard work with a strong downstream wind. Second time I went it was much easier. They say only one chance to catch a fish in the pockets, I caught 5 and lost one out of one bit alone.
I took my wading staff first time, more trouble than it was worth. Didn't bother second time.
View attachment 43666
Never been that far Ged and unless someone takes me on a quad bike I never will. :D
S.

Scotty90

Had a day on the upper Tweed today. Fished upstream from the Lyne junction for about 1.5 miles. Got out the car and started getting tackled up but when it came to getting into the waders I had only put my boots in the car, waders still hanging up nice and dry on the living room door :-(

I ended up wet wading with my shorts and boots on, not a great idea in September on the Tweed but I survived.

Anyway, for all the great looking water I fished I had no luck. I ended up with 4 small trout and loads of salmon parr that were plaguing me. No grayling, the target fish really, but still enjoyable.

6E6F29DE-C094-4ED0-B6B1-B9E4B8B56239.jpeg
1A850C75-D3C4-44C1-9C21-860ABEA3FBE4.jpeg
CE017315-30E2-45FC-8998-3ECC637D0CE1.jpeg

eddleston123

Hi Scott,

I've wet waded for most of this year. It is really quite liberating - No pulling waders off and on and you don't have to worry about leaks!

However, I did wear my pvc waders whilst fishing the Upper Tweed yesterday, but the water was still really quite warm.

I was hoping to catch a grayling yesterday, but failed. I usually get my fair share in September, but conditions are very different this year.

Catching lots of salmon parr bodes well for the salmon angler.

Douglas

Last edited:

Scotty90

Hi Scot,

I've wet waded for most of this year. It is really quite liberating - No pulling waders off and on and you don't have to worry about leaks!

However, I did wear my pvc waders whilst fishing the Upper Tweed yesterday, but the water was still really quite warm.

I was hoping to catch a grayling yesterday, but failed. I usually get my fair share in September, but conditions are very different this year.

Catching lots of salmon parr bodes well for the salmon angler.

Douglas
Hi Douglas,

Aye it wasn’t too bad, cold when you first get in but not bad once you get going. I’m not a fan though I must admit, I don’t like it. I feel too exposed, the waders just feel more comforting to me.

One big grayling swam past my mate, he was downstream from me and we reckoned I must have spooked it, he says it was edging 2 pound. That was the only fish of any size that was seen today.

There were certainly loads of salmon parr today, plague proportions. I usually get a few grayling around now too but not today.

Scott

Last edited:

Lauderdale

I know I said I was waiting for rain, but, we did have a small shower overnight Sunday! So had a couple of hours today, water still way to low, tried a few nymphs in a normally active small pool then couple different dries, not an offer till a couple of half hearted takes at a dark daddy long legs. Persevered with that but only small fish bumping it and catching nothing, into last half hour and it all changed, caught a half decent trout for this water quickly followed by another smaller three.

1632252059242.jpeg

1632252095098.jpeg

1632252143291.jpeg
1632252119265.jpeg

1632252171688.jpeg

alan hine

Had a pleasant day on the upper Tees today, no fish pics but no one blanked. It was hard work strong downstream wind as always, stuck on dries and had a few small ones.
It was warm and sunny, I even had a snooze on the bank at lunchtime.
A few grouse dropping in I think there was a walked up day not far off and the ones that escaped landed close by.
Fished my Dibble cane rod today with Cadno silk line it’s always handy to use silk when casting into the wind.
Roger my partner also christened his new Dibble rod today with a first brownie.View attachment 43656View attachment 43657View attachment 43658
what a glorious setting to fish in

Scotty90

Just finished what’s probably my last Water of Leith session for the season (might squeeze in one more day next week). Fishing was hard today, the river is very clear so I concentrated on the heads of pools in faster moving water. It was quite bright today at times too but I had a few fish, I fished a french leader and two nymphs mostly. I never took many photos today, don’t know why really I just didn’t. Anyway here’s the ones I did take.
A36592CC-6DA9-40B1-8433-25AC20E43FB3.jpeg
6F10BB2C-CC5E-4322-99D6-34966D1E6FFD.jpeg
0C871F0D-2B9A-4967-93E1-10A4C51B61BC.jpeg
A0AED1C2-5C89-4A30-B6BC-B853B7234B34.jpeg

Scotty90

That's a good stamp of fish for the WOL Scott.

You have done well there this season.

I'd like to get another session in before the shutters come down. Not sure were though.

Douglas
Aye Douglas, there are some nice fish to be had. It’s a challenging stream at times but I have done quite well. It pays to know the water, I have spent a lot of time on it and have never really stopped learning.

I’m not going to take another reservoir membership next season so I will fish the WoL all of next season instead of July onwards.

I’m hoping to get one more session too but I might not, if I do I will post a report.

Scott

GEK79

I had a few hours on the WoL today, fished from Stenhouse to Slateford again. It was raining and dreich all day here in Edinburgh but the fishing was great.
I fished the duo as usual opting for cdc hackle ptns with uv ribs and hot ribbed hares ears with 2.8mm tungsten beads, the indicator fly was a bushy klink.
I picked up fish everywhere today but mostly caught them in the faster water. Minnows were throwing themselves at the nymphs as well, funny wee things. I also seen a cracking big heron just standing like a sentinel on a pipe. Enjoyable day. View attachment 43453View attachment 43454View attachment 43455View attachment 43456View attachment 43457View attachment 43458View attachment 43459View attachment 43460View attachment 43461View attachment 43462
That's a great days fishing pal..

mebu

Had a day on the Wharfe today, for a change. As this is supposed to be the home of the North Country Spider, thought I'd stick with it. I don't know the river all that well, but do know a couple of pools where I can be confident of something. For 2 hours, nothing, and not a fish rising. As the wind was upstream, thought I'd try dries (also to test new rod), again nothing but found it hard work working upstream against current, soon my legs were knackered. Had a walk to riffley runs higher up, lost one then finally got a small fish to the spider. After lunch, worked back downstream, thought of packing up, then tried the pool where I'd started that morning, to give it a last chance. Fairly soon got a cracking fish, about 16", filled the net: thought I would photo it (very rare for me as I don't like it for the fish)) but phone in bag 100 yards upstream on the bank, so back he goes. Then another, medium size, maybe 12", just before finishing mid afternoon. Most likely the fishing improving towards the evening.
Very glad that I'd tried the pool again and gone home happy rather than going straight home miserable.
Could probably have had more fish on french leaders and nymphs, but decided not to use these

Just wish I could get to that river more often.

Peter

pvthubbard

My friend is staying in a cottage just outside Llanwrtyd wells, and fishing on the upper Irfon is included in the price.

He invited me over for a day on the river, and despite a 4 hour journey either way, I jumped at the chance.

I arrived at dusk on Tuesday night an managed to get one small wild brown to the net before dusk (and the temptations of the wine bottle) put a stop to the fishing.

Up bright and early the next morning to be greeted by a beautiful little river:
View attachment 43019
cascading falls

View attachment 43020
leading in to deep pools

View attachment 43021
And my favourite fishing spots; pocket waters

I only spotted two big fish all day, and with the water being crystal clear, they saw me first and we long gone before I could put fly to water.

But I had 8 little fish to the net. Most to dries, some to Klink and some to dink.

Most were released in the water, but I got a quick snap of this one as I was teaching my friends son how to safely put trout back.

View attachment 43022

A question to any one who knows this, or other Wye tributaries well: Would you expect to see the a brown sludge diatoms, that the Wye is now famous for, at this time of year?

I'm assuming some is natural, and here it was only to be seen in the very slowest parts of the river.
Hi Jerry, Irfon and the Ithon have suffered from low water for most of the year now, you did well with 8 to the net, especially all being Brownies. There doesn't seem to be many browns left in the mid-lower Irfon but there are some fantastic Grayling. Must have fished it 8-9 times this year and had 3 brownies to about a pound, 2 of them with quite a few Argulus. Loads of Grayling though.
River is still at 0.95m now, needs a good spate to wash through though. Beautiful rivers to fish.

jaybeegee

With only a week of our trout season left I went over to Nidderdale today to try my luck with dry fly. I found it very low and clear, the better fish were really spooky and sensed me before I could get within range, charging off upstream and putting the pool down.
C3BC6B0A-132D-4894-B4F0-DB762BA1D3F1.jpeg

D1683415-28E0-4FB1-86DC-DC287B716AF7.jpeg

I picked up one fingerling brownie and rose a couple more, but I was beginning to think it was a waste of time, the usual holding spots were empty until this little pool under a bush….
A92AD05F-212D-4EFB-85CD-1C882032E49E.jpeg
A92AD05F-212D-4EFB-85CD-1C882032E49E.jpeg

Three fish in three casts….typical of the stretch all about six or seven inches, but feisty little devils. I should have called it quits then but went on to the next pool and rose a fish two or three times before it went down. Not a bad day all in all and I’ll be back when we have a decent frost for a shot at the grayling.

7493EFA2-7F21-4AA8-AFDC-87A13B8FD0ED.jpeg

B

bibio1st

I think I will miss out on a final trout session, have to take my mum for a hospital check up tomorrow at noon, off to the northeast to my daughters Sunday and Monday then working:rolleyes:
Highlights for me this year have been finding a new very small river, mostly grayling but some good trout in it, can only fish it during the trout season, also a new rod purchased earlier in the year, a wychwood drift 7ft 3wt, a lovely little rod for the money.
A shame the rivers have been so low and warm for a lot of the season and not been at their best but fingers crossed for the next trout season.
On a disappointing note, one of the closer grayling rivers had a sewage leak problem earlier in the year which has seen off a lot of the grayling and I believe a tributary to it has recently had an issue also, looks like I might have to travel to get some grayling fishing over the winter.

Steve