Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

Andrew Moray

Just finished what’s probably my last Water of Leith session for the season (might squeeze in one more day next week). Fishing was hard today, the river is very clear so I concentrated on the heads of pools in faster moving water. It was quite bright today at times too but I had a few fish, I fished a french leader and two nymphs mostly. I never took many photos today, don’t know why really I just didn’t. Anyway here’s the ones I did take. View attachment 43750View attachment 43751View attachment 43752View attachment 43753

Hi Scott,

Those are really nice fish for WOL, and, you tie a very tidy fly!

GraylingFin

Just finished what’s probably my last Water of Leith session for the season (might squeeze in one more day next week). Fishing was hard today, the river is very clear so I concentrated on the heads of pools in faster moving water. It was quite bright today at times too but I had a few fish, I fished a french leader and two nymphs mostly. I never took many photos today, don’t know why really I just didn’t. Anyway here’s the ones I did take. View attachment 43750View attachment 43751View attachment 43752View attachment 43753
Which dubbing have you used on that top nymph's collar please?

GraylingFin

I had a few hours session today. As usual, no fish rising so nymph was the method I used.
I started off well with a couple of trouts after 10 minutes fishing. I thought it was going to be a very successful day but things dried out for an hour or so. Hooked another trout but came off.
I saw a good size trout turning away in front of me, don't know if it was feeding or it was laying in the slack water and I spooked it.
I eventually managed a few more trouts, one of which was a nice size.
I found a head of pool with a drop that looked promising so I started working my way up. Hooked and lost a good size grayling but landed the next one.
Another cast further upstream and had a take, set hook and saw a big trout coming close to the surface, then turned for the faster deeper current. I knew it was a good fish. The fast current was on the bank I was fishing from so I couldn't get it out of it and it was too deep to wade across to the slacker water which made controlling the fish much harder. It kept charging downstream or accross, or was going deep and I just wasn't able to move it.
I wanted to see it least but the times that was about to break the surface it didn't like it and will charge deep or accross again.
Not sure how long it took me to eventually land it but it felt like hours.
I was so chuffed, it is my biggest trout to date at 20".

Attachments

• IMG_20210925_162621.jpg
    IMG_20210925_162621.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20210925_162634.jpg
    IMG_20210925_162634.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210925_162702.jpg
    IMG_20210925_162702.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210925_162725.jpg
    IMG_20210925_162725.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20210925_124252.jpg
    Screenshot_20210925_124252.jpg
    647.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20210925_162929.jpg
    IMG_20210925_162929.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20210925_143037.jpg
    IMG_20210925_143037.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 27

bibio1st

The gods were smiling on me today, got my mum to the hospital early and was away in 20 mins, one of those days where the lights turn green as yo approach, back home then up on the river by 3pm, for the first hour or so I was wishing I’d stayed at home, very low gin clear water, no signs of any fish topping as I walked down river to start, a 2.5m ptn on the point and a 2m hares eared nymph dropper, tried all the likely places with out a touch, it was hard keeping my shadow off the water which wasn’t helping but eventually had a small trout, it surprising how just a sign or a fish gees you up again, bumped another a bit further up before getting a cracking fish for this stretch, if I’d stopped then I would have been more than happy but carried on for a few more on the nymphs before trying dries for the last hour, a few fish were topping in a deep slow pool, it’s hard to approach from down river as there are low over hanging trees, getting in the pool sent them all down but a bit further up in some pocket water I did catch three small ones on a deer hair and cdc dry, a good way to end the season on this trout only stretch.
000A9733-95C4-4639-BEC1-AA03B1B01E73.jpeg

Steve

Last edited:

Mrtrout

I had a few hours session today. As usual, no fish rising so nymph was the method I used.
I started off well with a couple of trouts after 10 minutes fishing. I thought it was going to be a very successful day but things dried out for an hour or so. Hooked another trout but came off.
I saw a good size trout turning away in front of me, don't know if it was feeding or it was laying in the slack water and I spooked it.
I found a head of pool with a drop that looked promising so I started working my way up. Hooked and lost a good size grayling but landed the next one.
Another cast further upstream and had a take, set hook and saw a big trout coming close to the surface, then turned for the faster deeper current. I knew it was a good fish. The fast current was on the bank I was fishing from so I couldn't get it out of it and it was too deep to wade across to the slacker water which made controlling the fish much harder. It kept charging downstream or accross, or was going deep and I just wasn't able to move it.
I wanted to see it least but the times that was about to break the surface it didn't like it and will charge deep or accross again.
Nice fish, well done.
S.

Mr Notherone

Yesterday was very hard. I've never fished the river so low and fish were easily spooked. I managed a few smaller fish early on and then lost a big brown. It was on for long enough for me to feel like I had him but it wasn't to be. When I looked at the fly it had pulled the gape wide open! I know where he lives now though ;)

IMG_5464 2.jpg

Lauderdale

Well we got a bit of rain so got out for a couple of hours this morning, was keen to get out as after reading another thread on these forums, I purchased a Maxcatch 11' 3# rod, reel and line. Didnt pay for express delivery but it was here within a week along with a couple of freebies.
Water was back at almost perfect height and slightly coloured. Started with a mono rig setup fishing weighted PTN and a hares ear. Second catch had a take but off almost as quick!
Nothing else taking and no risers so changed to single lighter PTN with a sheeps wool indicator (held in place with a bit of biro pen tube - another great tip from here), about 5' tippet to the 3# fly line. Was much more enjoyable and started catching within 10 minutes. Missed a few but had ten to net including three half pound fish. Amazing the condition they were in and how I was catching them in water where there has been nothing but tiddlers for weeks.
Hope to get another couple of sessions in before close.

1632833330801.png

Scotty90

I managed to get another session today, on the Water of Leith again. I fished the duo and had 8 fish in a few hours. The water had a wee bit colour to it today but it’s still pretty clear, yesterday’s rain raised the level about 8 inches. Nice wee session but hopefully it rains tonight and Wednesday, I’ll get a shot on the last day. Rain is forecast for Thursday so I’m hoping the water is up a good bit and I’ll fish the french leader. Anyway here’s a couple pics from today.
F9BBA3A1-4391-4B7F-A05B-CB0137BAD09C.jpeg
A1702F8A-EC2C-475E-A093-DDA5420AA766.jpeg
4F52F4FE-9632-48B4-97D4-52853C7715C0.jpeg
7F2ACF8D-91E9-4BE8-B69E-0B6CFA09B038.jpeg

jaybeegee

Hallelujah! Rain and with it a six inch rise on the river gauge so off I went for a few hours; The river was just right with a tinge of colour and an altogether different prospect to the skinny water of recent weeks and I sat on the bank for twenty minutes to weigh the job up. Not a fish rising and not much in the way of fly life so I set up a black and gold nymph under a wool indicator and worked my way up the pool….nowt. At the rapids above I switched to a heavier nymph and straight off had a fish, an eight ounce fish typical of this stretch, then in the seam of an eddy I got into a good fish that shot into the air and gave me a hard time keeping it out of the white water, but 4lb bs tippet allowed me to bully it to the net….a cracking what wild fish of a pound and a half, maybe a bit more. The heavens opened and I picked up another trout of ten or twelve ounces before calling it a draw. With a bit of luck I’ll be out again on Thursday.

B
A62FEE40-27E1-4228-904E-B7E963FCCFB5.jpeg

eddleston123

I said that yesterday, was to be my last day of the season for me - I lied !

Went out earlyish to the Upper Tweed today. This is definitely my last session for the Tweed.

Didn't really expect to catch anything, but ended up with three nice grayling. No monsters, but no small ones either. 12 - 14'' . Caught everything that I hooked. No brownies.

Fished with my 11'3 3# Wychwood drift rod and a rio french leader.

This for me was a great result. My only options now are Stocked stillwaters - going down to the Clyde, or waiting till next January to fish for grayling on the upper tweed. Time to baton down the hatches in the meantime I think.

I left the water earlier than I had planned. I was freezing cold. 12 degrees and a stiff wind, should have put a jumper on!

Some pics to follow.

Douglas

Was hooking leaves every second cast - It is Autumn I suppose!

The river had gone down quite a bit over night, but it was still not entirely clear and a wee bit foamy

Last edited:

Scotty90

I said that yesterday, was to be my last day of the season for me - I lied !

Went out earlyish to the Upper Tweed today. This is definitely my last session for the Tweed.

Didn't really expect to catch anything, but ended up with three nice grayling. No monsters, but no small ones either. 12 - 14'' . Caught everything that I hooked. No brownies.

This for me was a great result. My only options now are Stocked stillwaters - going down to the Clyde, or waiting till next January to fish for grayling on the upper tweed. Time to baton down the hatches in the meantime I think.

I left the water earlier than I had planned. I was freezing cold. 12 degrees and a stiff wind, should have put a jumper on!

Some pics to follow.

Douglas

Was hooking leaves every second cast - It is Autumn I suppose!

The river had gone down quite a bit over night, but it was still not entirely clear and a wee bit foamy

Perfect end Douglas. The wee bit rain has obviously helped. Last week as you know was dour, no grayling anywhere. Well done mate.
Scott

GEK79

Nice day out lad.. Well done.

eddleston123

I posted yesterday, that this was the last day of the season for me - I lied !

Didn't really expect to catch anything, but ended up with three nice fish. No monsters, but no small ones either. 12 - 14'' . Caught everything that I hooked. No brownies.

This for me was a great result. My only options now are Stocked stillwaters - going down to the Clyde, or waiting till next January to grayling fish. Time to baton down the hatches, I think.

Some pics

Douglas

Perfect end Douglas. The wee bit rain has obviously helped. Last week as you know was dour, no grayling anywhere. Well done mate.
Scott

You are right Scott, if it had been this time last week, I would have caught diddley squat.

I usually catch a good few grayling in September, but the conditions this year have been against it.

As far as the upper tweed is concerned I'll need to wait until January now, before I can have another cast for grayling. I can fish the Clyde from October onwards, but I find the Clyde can get very busy at times.

I won't be idle, as I have been presented with a list of off season chores by my wife. Apparently I did promise!

Douglas