Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

jaybeegee

You are right Scott, if it had been this time last week, I would have caught diddley squat.

I usually catch a good few grayling in September, but the conditions this year have been against it.

As far as the upper tweed is concerned I'll need to wait until January now, before I can have another cast for grayling. I can fish the Clyde from October onwards, but I find the Clyde can get very busy at times.

I won't be idle, as I have been presented with a list of off season chores by my wife. Apparently I did promise!

Douglas
Brownie points are redeemable as fishing tokens Douglas. 👍
B

duncanp

Fortunate to sample a few new waters this season, though the star of the show came from a free river right on the doorstep!

Attachments

• PXL_20210818_161504146.jpeg
    PXL_20210818_161504146.jpeg
    534.1 KB · Views: 39

jaybeegee

The gods are smiling down on me for the last day of the season tomorrow….should be damn near perfect.

B

78B7ADF2-ED3A-4A96-AA41-A72C22EE2467.jpeg

billytheshoe

I was down in Douglas’s neck of the woods today, and what a cracking part of the world it is too. Normally I have a few Tweed days in September but the river’s been so low for such a prolonged period this year that it’s hardly been worth the trip, fishing-wise. But the last few days saw the first decent rain in ages, with a spate on Monday. By today, the level had dropped a lot; but still decent and carrying a nice tint. The only problem today was a troublesome downstream wind, but I found if I waited out the squally gusts, there were good fish-able spells in between.
I was fishing a double nymph rig, with a copper tungsten-bead harelug on dropper, and an unweighted ginger and black spider (aka the famous Ishigaki, renowned amongst tenkara anglers) bottom fly on a drop-shot rig, with the split-shot about 6 to 9 inches below the fly.
I had a good day with four trout - three of them small and one decent (which, if anyone’s asking, was a brown trout as I don’t have a migratory permit :D) - and three grayling, all of them crackers, the smallest 2 ¾ lb and the biggest bang on 3 lb :love:. And star of the show was the wee spider, which took all of the grayling and the biggest trout.
So a nice end to the season. Annoyingly, much of the Tweed closes for grayling on Friday until 1st January (unless you’re prepared to shell out mega-bucks for a salmon permit).
IMG210929-121552F.JPG
IMG210929-122709F.JPG
IMG210929-144833F.JPG
FILE210929-144022F_exported_9225.jpg
FILE210929-131834F_exported_20720.jpg
FILE210929-113606F_exported_20820 (1).jpg
FILE210929-111909F_exported_39823.jpg
20210929_175027.jpg

eddleston123

I was down in Douglas’s neck of the woods today, and what a cracking part of the world it is too. Normally I have a few Tweed days in September but the river’s been so low for such a prolonged period this year that it’s hardly been worth the trip, fishing-wise. But the last few days saw the first decent rain in ages, with a spate on Monday. By today, the level had dropped a lot; but still decent and carrying a nice tint. The only problem today was a troublesome downstream wind, but I found if I waited out the squally gusts, there were good fish-able spells in between.
I was fishing a double nymph rig, with a copper tungsten-bead harelug on dropper, and an unweighted ginger and black spider (aka the famous Ishigaki, renowned amongst tenkara anglers) bottom fly on a drop-shot rig, with the split-shot about 6 to 9 inches below the fly.
I had a good day with four trout - three of them small and one decent (which, if anyone’s asking, was a brown trout as I don’t have a migratory permit :D) - and three grayling, all of them crackers, the smallest 2 ¾ lb and the biggest bang on 3 lb :love:. And star of the show was the wee spider, which took all of the grayling and the biggest trout.
So a nice end to the season. Annoyingly, much of the Tweed closes for grayling on Friday until 1st January (unless you’re prepared to shell out mega-bucks for a salmon permit).
View attachment 44007View attachment 44009View attachment 44010View attachment 44011View attachment 44012View attachment 44013View attachment 44014View attachment 44015
You've had a cracking day Billie.

That grayling would burst if it ate any more food!

That's some session to end the season with.

Well done.

Douglas

billytheshoe

You've had a cracking day Billie.

That grayling would burst if it ate any more food!

That's some session to end the season with.

Well done.

Douglas
Cheers Douglas. You've had a good season yourself in difficult conditions for much of it. I was down a few weeks ago when you could see every rock on the bottom and the river seemed barren of fish - apart from parr, which I was picking up every other cast. Strangely, I didn't pick up a single parr today. Maybe they were getting shoved out of the way with the better fish perking up a bit. Certainly the cooler weather now seems a lot more grayling-friendly than even last week.

Scotty90

Had a final wee shot on the Water of Leith today, water was a perfect level with the rain we had last night and this morning, quite coloured though. Fished the duo and the french leader and picked up a few fish here and there. I’m ready to pack up the stuff now anyway but I’m already looking forward to next season. Here’s a couple of pics.
75D02DAE-6D88-47CC-92A1-31D876ED4113.jpeg
8FE1ADBB-834A-4BE2-BD51-EB6B435A079F.jpeg

colliedog

Had a last day cast on the Upper Tweed today. It was a foul morning but cleared up around lunchtime. The water levels held steady despite quite a lot of rain.

The trout weren't playing but landed two cracking lunker grayling and lost a third. Happy enough with that.

Just a shame the water came so late in the month as the grayling really are in fantastic condition.

jaybeegee

Last fling of the trout season today on the Wharfe, up after some decent rain at last and carrying some colour when I got there at lunchtime. I had four nice fish to about twelve ounces, all on a black nymph and two of them came from a pool near the top of our stretch that I’ve neglected this year. While I sat under a tree and changed my tippet a kingfisher landed on a post twenty feet away, I watched it until a fly creeping in my ear forced me to move and off it went. Then a wren came and told me off for being in it’s spot. It was a fine end to an unusual season and as I walked up the field to the car there was a dozen or so mallards settling into the pasture…autumn.

21846176-07DA-49E9-985A-44E073C3FFEB.jpeg

B

GraylingFin

I tried to fit in a last day of the season session today. The water was running high, not super coloured but loads of leaves and twigs were coming down.
I caught nothing in the 20min or so I spent there, so moved downstream to another section. There was a stream running into the river that was really muddy so that spoilt it and made it impossible to fish.
Moved again somewhere else and it was even worse so called it day.
No how I wanted to end the season but I have no complaints in what was a very strange season.
Few sporadic hatches, lack of rain, etc meant that I stuck to fishing nymphs throughout the spring/summer but it was a good learning curve and I got better at it.
I've learnt more about where fish would be depending on water level which resulted in finding fish in places I would have walked past before. I also caught my personal best trout, so all in all I'm pleased.
I will try euronymphing for grayling from now on and see how I get on. It will help me avoid the occasional trou as well.
Some pics from the previous 2 outings a couple of days ago, a few graylings, and some mixed sizes trouts, couple of which were quite nice.

Attachments

• IMG_20210926_193309.jpg
    IMG_20210926_193309.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210928_200107.jpg
    IMG_20210928_200107.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210926_193338.jpg
    IMG_20210926_193338.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210928_175541.jpg
    IMG_20210928_175541.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210928_200055.jpg
    IMG_20210928_200055.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210926_181303.jpg
    IMG_20210926_181303.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20210929_231200_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    Screenshot_20210929_231200_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20

Mr Notherone

I know the date varies a bit by location, but I guess for most of us river guys that's au revoir Mr Trout (no not you Steven ;)) for another season. I would like to say that this thread is the reason I dial in most days and I find the anecdotes and experiences shared very worthwhile. Always fascinating to see how similar and different simple fly fishing for trout can be across our rivers. I envy those who can get out far more than me.

I always have grand plans for grayling about now and often it's the weather that sinks them. Let's hope we have a winter that allows at least a few opportunities to chase my second favourite fish. Thanks all.

eddleston123

This season does rate as the worst that I can remember as far as catching fish is concerned. I have, however, enjoyed every minute of it. I always compile stats at the end of each season (sad bugger) which helps to give me an overall picture.

I have no doubt that the dry spell - lack of water was the biggest contributory factor. I caught more 'small' trout this season and certainly lost more bigger fish. As a dry fly angler (in the main) the fish were all lightly hooked. Why this should be, I have no idea.

Total sessions Mar to end Sept - 59
Total fish (including grayling - all sizes) - 123
Total blanks - 18
Average no of fish per visit - 2.08 'This is well down on previous years'

Now looking forward to a bit of grayling fishing on the upper tweed - Season starts Jan

I thank everyone who has contributed to this thread throughout the year - I have enjoyed reading all your varying and interesting reports.

In the meantime, I'll just baton down the hatches and look forward to next year!

Douglas

Last edited:

codyarrow

This season does rate as the worst that I can remember as far as catching fish is concerned. I have, however, enjoyed every minute of it. I always compile stats at the end of each season (sad bugger) which helps to give me an overall picture.

Douglas
You are not alone.
Should really keep stats, this season would not require much paper. I expect these prolonged dry spells will be the new norm? The heat was an issue in the North; I know 20 degrees is the accepted norm for problematic fishing but I have a theory this is relative to the mean average temp? So fishing 120ft deep lochs I still noticed a difference.

Anyway roll on 2022 season - a lot of two's in there though- will there be an apocalypse? :LOL:

Calder Junky

Had a pleasant day on the upper Tees today, no fish pics but no one blanked. It was hard work strong downstream wind as always, stuck on dries and had a few small ones.
It was warm and sunny, I even had a snooze on the bank at lunchtime.
A few grouse dropping in I think there was a walked up day not far off and the ones that escaped landed close by.
Fished my Dibble cane rod today with Cadno silk line it’s always handy to use silk when casting into the wind.
Roger my partner also christened his new Dibble rod today with a first brownie.View attachment 43656View attachment 43657View attachment 43658
Strong ‘upstream’ wind if you turn your back on it and fish downstream😉 deadly up there in the pocket water.

Mrtrout

Strong ‘upstream’ wind if you turn your back on it and fish downstream😉 deadly up there in the pocket water.
Hi Andy, exactly what I do, I fished Tenkara as well, it really was dapping.
Three of us there that day but the fish weren’t in the usual numbers, hard to locate for once.
S.

jaybeegee

Hi Andy, exactly what I do, I fished Tenkara as well, it really was dapping.
Three of us there that day but the fish weren’t in the usual numbers, hard to locate for once.
S.
How do you get close enough from upstream without spooking the fish Steven and how long a leader do you use?
B

Mrtrout

How do you get close enough from upstream without spooking the fish Steven and how long a leader do you use?
B
It’s such awkward wading Brendan I fish from the bank, I just let a decent amount of line out and flick it into the pockets, normal furlie and about 8ft of tippet.
S.

Lauderdale

I’m lucky that season doesn’t finish until 6th so went out today to my usual stretch. For only the second time this season there was another fisher there. Fished the water he just came off and just caught a couple smaller ones. Caught another couple on a bit he hadn’t been on then moved up river as it was warming up and started to catch more, finished on a bit I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t have been on and it was quickly becoming my best day of the season. Ended up with over twenty trout including my PB a cracker about 15”/one and a half pound which is a v big fish for this water. Great day!

1633281508374.jpeg

started here
1633281574445.jpeg

started taking pics like this
1633281628783.jpeg

because they kept jumping out my hand
1633281682198.jpeg

used net for bigger ones
1633281724812.jpeg

especially this one, my best this season

Latest posts