Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

eddleston123

I’m lucky that season doesn’t finish until 6th so went out today to my usual stretch. For only the second time this season there was another fisher there. Fished the water he just came off and just caught a couple smaller ones. Caught another couple on a bit he hadn’t been on then moved up river as it was warming up and started to catch more, finished on a bit I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t have been on and it was quickly becoming my best day of the season. Ended up with over twenty trout including my PB a cracker about 15”/one and a half pound which is a v big fish for this water. Great day!

View attachment 44121
started here
View attachment 44122
started taking pics like this
View attachment 44123
because they kept jumping out my hand
View attachment 44124
used net for bigger ones

especially this one, my best this season

Well done Lauderdale.

Wished I could have finished my season with a day like that.

You've still a few days left !

Douglas

Lauderdale

Yip couldn’t resist Douglas. Busy tomorrow so today was definitely last day. Started of with PTN under wool indicator which was steady without setting the heather on fire. Was picking best stretches as I worked upstream rather than every bit of water, finished at same bit as yesterday where there was a bit of a hatch on. Switched to dries and would catch a couple before having to change fly, catch couple more then change again. Were all small but enjoyed it all the same, today’s highlight was catching the first grayling of the season even if it was the smallest of the day.
Thoroughly enjoyed my season, roll on next year.
1633368325802.jpeg

1633368348894.jpeg

1633368374313.jpeg

1633368404281.jpeg

eddleston123

Yip couldn’t resist Douglas. Busy tomorrow so today was definitely last day. Started of with PTN under wool indicator which was steady without setting the heather on fire. Was picking best stretches as I worked upstream rather than every bit of water, finished at same bit as yesterday where there was a bit of a hatch on. Switched to dries and would catch a couple before having to change fly, catch couple more then change again. Were all small but enjoyed it all the same, today’s highlight was catching the first grayling of the season even if it was the smallest of the day.
Thoroughly enjoyed my season, roll on next year.
View attachment 44171
View attachment 44172
View attachment 44173

View attachment 44174

Looks like another good day.

Where there is small grayling there is also bigger ones.

Size doesn't and has never been a factor in my fishing. A fish is a fish is a fish!

Well done Lauderdale.

The baw is well and truly bust now!

Douglas

rabmax

First time out since i got home from working.The conditions was poor.BBC Said it was a gentle breeze.But it was gusting 25 -30mph .The river was still running a bit chocolate.For a good part of the day had to use a yarn indicator.Times the wind dropped whent back to tightline nymphing.Caught fairly well once i figured out that a pink shrimp would catch best.Probably the pink shrimp was best with the poor water clarity.Caught loads of normal grayling & three grayling around the 15 inch mark.The pink shrimp was picking up some good trout too.Good to get out fishing again.

Attachments

• 20211004_161158.jpg
    20211004_161158.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 20211004_161134.jpg
    20211004_161134.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 38
  • 20211004_144937.jpg
    20211004_144937.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 38

eddleston123

Well done rabmax - Everyone is squeezing in their final session.

My rod is now dusted off and stored !

Some cracking grayling there (fatties)

Still another 2 days! (not for me unfortunately)

Douglas

eddleston123

Went out last Thursday to get a brownie on the last day and caught two grayling, went out today to catch grayling and caught two brownies??
S.
It is a strange thing that when you are fishing for grayling and you catch a brownie, you are disappointed - and visa versa.

I remember nymphing for trout a few years ago and hooked a salmon, I was actually annoyed and just wanted it to get off the line as quickly as possible. A salmon anglers dream!!

Douglas

rabmax

It is a strange thing that when you are fishing for grayling and you catch a brownie, you are disappointed - and visa versa.

I remember nymphing for trout a few years ago and hooked a salmon, I was actually annoyed and just wanted it to get off the line as quickly as possible. A salmon anglers dream!!

Douglas
I am the same these day's when i hook a Salmon.It's eating up grayling catching time on the water.Also the welfare of the Salmon.Extended fights on light tackle isn't good for them i have read.I normally just keep throwing slack until they get off.

rabmax

Catching grayling in chocolate milkshake coloured water.Caught a load of grayling today in really dirty off colour water.Didn't catch any monsters.So couldn't be bothered taking many pic's.Over the years i have noticed fishing coloured water.I often find grayling stacked up in shallower faster water.Normally just off the faster flows.I never do so good where the water deepens into the pools.On the rivers i fish i do notice.The shallower runs run slightly clearer & the deeper water holds more of the colour.I imagine more success in shallower water is because they can see your nymph better.Alway's have Appleby Olive shrimps in my box.With a hot orange seal hot-spot & pearl mylar as the scudback.Seems great in off colour water.I have gave up on carrying squirmy worm flies for coloured water.They sit in your box for a while.When you want to use them they have turned into a blob of jellow.Applebly Olive great grayling fly.

Attachments

• 20211008_132329.jpg
    20211008_132329.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • 20200406_110121.jpg
    20200406_110121.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36

Mrtrout

Catching grayling in chocolate milkshake coloured water.Caught a load of grayling today in really dirty off colour water.Didn't catch any monsters.So couldn't be bothered taking many pic's.Over the years i have noticed fishing coloured water.I often find grayling stacked up in shallower faster water.Normally just off the faster flows.I never do so good where the water deepens into the pools.On the rivers i fish i do notice.The shallower runs run slightly clearer & the deeper water holds more of the colour.I imagine more success in shallower water is because they can see your nymph better.Alway's have Appleby Olive shrimps in my box.With a hot orange seal hot-spot & pearl mylar as the scudback.Seems great in off colour water.I have gave up on carrying squirmy worm flies for coloured water.They sit in your box for a while.When you want to use them they have turned into a blob of jellow.Applebly Olive great grayling fly.
Do you call that an Appleby olive shrimp because it’s got the Appleby squirrel dubbing in it?
I live a few miles from Appleby and we use the original Appleby olive nymph, tied by Andrew Ellis who makes the dubbing which by the way is good stuff as you are no doubt aware.
S.

rabmax

Do you call that an Appleby olive shrimp because it’s got the Appleby squirrel dubbing in it?
I live a few miles from Appleby and we use the original Appleby olive nymph, tied by Andrew Ellis who makes the dubbing which by the way is good stuff as you are no doubt aware.
S.
That's just an old picture on my phone.This is on from my box.Appleby Olive dubbing Cookshil hot orange seal'Olive wire & pearl mylar in large.Simple but deadly.I also carry pink & yellow shrimps also with the hot orange seal fur.They are all deadly at various times.Not sure if it's the pearl mylar or the orange seal fur that seals the deal though.Alway's liked cookshils hot orange seal fur though.

Attachments

• 16337326886784807892039436094008.jpg
    16337326886784807892039436094008.jpg
    930.9 KB · Views: 47

rabmax

S.
Yes his dubbing is great.Have used a few but my favourite is the Appleby Olive.

bibio1st

I should have read Rab’s post on drop shot nymphing before investing in a quantity of tungsten beads, so spent another £7 on a piece of tungsten putty the size of a broad bean to give the method a go, I’d tied up some unweighted nymphs in the usual patterns so it was off to the river to try it out, I put a couple of size 8 stotz on the tag of line to put the putty on and had things working ok, no fish at first but was confident with the control until the putty came off and the rig was to light, put some more on and caught my first grayling, only a tiny one but a start, the putty came off again a bit later so stuck a couple more stotz on instead, the 4 seemed about right for most of the water I fished but occasionally put a 2.5m beaded nymph on the point in faster deep water to keep control, grayling came steadily and probably ended with a couple of dozen, split equally between fingerling ones and fish up to 8-10 inch, nothing of any size but an enjoyable day topped off with an excellent kebab.
22C4CE28-8A97-4749-87AB-74C4093E4B76.jpeg

FB80DF44-CDCC-4F23-8A30-8C32B824CFB5.jpeg

8C17E65C-A32F-4F0B-9FE9-395E317ACA8E.jpeg

Steve

rabmax

S.
I
I should have read Rab’s post on drop shot nymphing before investing in a quantity of tungsten beads, so spent another £7 on a piece of tungsten putty the size of a broad bean to give the method a go, I’d tied up some unweighted nymphs in the usual patterns so it was off to the river to try it out, I put a couple of size 8 stotz on the tag of line to put the putty on and had things working ok, no fish at first but was confident with the control until the putty came off and the rig was to light, put some more on and caught my first grayling, only a tiny one but a start, the putty came off again a bit later so stuck a couple more stotz on instead, the 4 seemed about right for most of the water I fished but occasionally put a 2.5m beaded nymph on the point in faster deep water to keep control, grayling came steadily and probably ended with a couple of dozen, split equally between fingerling ones and fish up to 8-10 inch, nothing of any size but an enjoyable day topped off with an excellent kebab.
View attachment 44312
View attachment 44313
View attachment 44314

Steve
Try using just one no8 stotz then mold your putty.(Think it molds better round only one small stotz)I do find i need to often give the putty a little roll on my fingers about everything 4or 5 casts.I do use split shot more often though in no6 & occasionally no4.I still use a fair amount of tungsten beads but only in 2mm these days.Fishing for grayling in winter you can stock up on shrimps ( with a lead underbody).I normally give 10 wraps of lead wire on a size 12 hook.I fish them euronymphing style.Then just add split shot to the drop shot tag when i need too.Shrimps have been doing the biz for me lately.

bibio1st

I not to keen on shrimp patterns, I seem to get a lot of line twist when using them.
I was putting the putty over just one of the stotz but will bear in mind the checking regularly.

Steve

Steff-Peff

The season comes to an end here. First frost last night but I wanted to test a version of Stewart´s spider pattern this morning. The special with it was the body tied of golden hollow tinsel.
It brought me 2 rainbows.

Unfortunately there are no graylings in this beat.

Attachments

• 20211010_110819.jpg
    20211010_110819.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Mrtrout

Had a few hours at Kirkby Stephen today chasing grayling, a few small yearlings taking the dry every other cast but apart from that it was pretty slow. Managed a better fish just under a pound.
I watched a big brownie in shallow water chasing fry, could clearly see his dorsal fin but he wasn’t interested in my CDC flies.
I feel we need a sharp frost to get them to start shoaling up.
Trying the Swale again on Friday near Richmond.
S.