Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

Vermontdrifter

I’m stuck at home recovering from a hernia operation so no fishing for me until the end of the month at the earliest but a friend was out spinning for pike and managed to catch a nice 35cm Greyling on a spinner. First time I’ve ever heard of a Greyling taking a spinner and especially a pike size spinner. Anyone ever had this happen to them before?

rabmax

I’m stuck at home recovering from a hernia operation so no fishing for me until the end of the month at the earliest but a friend was out spinning for pike and managed to catch a nice 35cm Greyling on a spinner. First time I’ve ever heard of a Greyling taking a spinner and especially a pike size spinner. Anyone ever had this happen to them before?
I used to catch them spinning real minnows when young in rivers.I have read about people spinning lures for them.On here before too if i remember.Those rubber squiggly jig lures would be great fun i imagine.

wobbly face

No, but out with a mate who came across a novice fly fishier after grayling who managed one on a cats whisker.
I've not heard many tales of grayling being caught on spinners or lures/streamers but no doubt they can be. I know more anglers are turning to streamer fishing for the trout in rivers so every chance grayling will be caught too.

sean freeman

I was out UL fishing a while back with a mate and had one on a 5 gram spinner, the hooks are swapped out for small barbless singles so maybe that helps with the hookup? It was a first for me and it came from a place where no one has seen one before so pretty cool.

Steff-Peff

Hi,
I wish you a speedy recovery.
Some years ago I caught a good grayling on a size 3 Mepps spinner. Target species was pike :rolleyes:
Bye Steff

danielp

Had this little guy fairly hooked on a soft plastic meant for perch

unnamed (1).jpg

mebu

The river Dee has been very high for a while, but dropping over the last few days so thought I'd give it a go.
Arrived, found although it had dropped, it was still quite high and the beat I went to it was still roaring through and carrying much more colour than normal.
First couple of stretches I went to the wading was distinctly quite tricky on the rocky bottoms, did not feel comfortable at all especially after a few almost trips. This was worsened by the fact that yesterday's booster jab left me with a sore arm and feeling a bit funny.
Not a touch of a fish, so walked down to where the wading can be easier. less rocks here, but still deep and still not feeling 100% confident about wading. Waist deep, had a small 4" grayling and then a proper fish, but lost a couple as unable to play them properly. Also, plagued by leaves floating past, every other cast seemed to catch a leaf which needed removing from the hook.
After a few hours, decided enough was enough and decided to pack up for lunch.
At the car park met another angler - a well known angler with a well known name from books and magazines, knows the Dee very well - also packing up because of conditions. This made me feel a little better, not just me then.
Taking boots off, 500 yards from the river, found I had brought a passenger: attached is pic of a caseless caddis that had crawled into my boots. First time I have seen a real one.

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_0439.JPG
    IMG_0439.JPG
    439.5 KB · Views: 41

bibio1st

Peter, I was checking the levels yesterday after seeing a report from an angler who'd had some grayling, still looked on the high side to me, too big a river to take a chance on.

Steve

jaybeegee

The river Dee has been very high for a while, but dropping over the last few days so thought I'd give it a go.
Arrived, found although it had dropped, it was still quite high and the beat I went to it was still roaring through and carrying much more colour than normal.
First couple of stretches I went to the wading was distinctly quite tricky on the rocky bottoms, did not feel comfortable at all especially after a few almost trips. This was worsened by the fact that yesterday's booster jab left me with a sore arm and feeling a bit funny.
Not a touch of a fish, so walked down to where the wading can be easier. less rocks here, but still deep and still not feeling 100% confident about wading. Waist deep, had a small 4" grayling and then a proper fish, but lost a couple as unable to play them properly. Also, plagued by leaves floating past, every other cast seemed to catch a leaf which needed removing from the hook.
At the car park met another angler - a well known angler with a well known name from books and magazines, knows the Dee very well - also packing up because of conditions. This made me feel a little better, not just me then.
Taking boots off, 500 yards from the river, found I had brought a passenger: attached is pic of a caseless caddis that had crawled into my boots. First time I have seen a real one.

Peter
Ollie Edwards’ caseless caddis pattern is one of my favourites, if you want some greenish synth wool to tie a few Mebu, drop me a pm.
B

Returning Dave

Peter
I probably won't fish until the gauge at Manley reads .5**m.
I wonder who it was you met? Wasn't Mr M by any chance? I know there's a Grayling comp coming up soon.

mebu

Dave, no it wasn't a Mr M. I'll send you a pm if you are interested.
Is there a grayling comp coming up? I presumed the Hanak was off this year?

Peter

Returning Dave

Dave, no it wasn't a Mr M. I'll send you a pm if you are interested.
Is there a grayling comp coming up? I presumed the Hanak was off this year?

Peter
I did see something that CDAC were asking for volunteers to help mark out areas.

York1e

My first outing in 2 years. Borrowed my friends wife old Greys 8' GRX rod and fished the beck in the village for a couple of hours yesterday. Armed with just a couple GRHE one with touch of green in.
Cant believe how silted the beck is now, but managed 4 small Grayling to about 8oz

BobP

Years ago I caught a good sized grayling on the Avon downstream of Amesbury on a No 4 Mepps. Fairly hooked in the mouth. The cock fish can be a bit keen on a fishy snack occasionally.

Latest posts