Fly Fishing Forum banner

Wild Trout and Grayling fishing 2021.

166K views 1K replies 108 participants last post by  mebu 
#1 ·
Thought I’d get this in place ready for next week, let’s just hope we can all get out more next year and have a great season.
As always I look forward to reading and seeing the results.
S.

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#9 ·
It'll be the 15th March at the earliest for me.
I have officially retired from fishing in the cold! ?
Passed up on what could be a cracking Grayling trip today when I looked out and saw snow on the ground. The call was made there and then!
Be the same for me Scott, fishing for me is taken when the buds are bursting on the trees and life is in the air, standing on a riverbank shaking with cold holds no pleasure anymore.
I used to fish in any weather but age and ailments has brought a halt to that.
I can wait and look forward to a bit of sun on my back and a few rising trout.
Good luck to all this season, I hope we can start meeting up again on the bank.
S.

#13 ·
First day of the Tweed grayling season - This hardy soul was fishing at the footbridge just above Peebles. It was around minus one degree.

The park was busier than Princes Street on a Saturday afternoon, but this angler didn't seem to mind the hoards of walkers crossing the bridge.

He may be on this forum for all I know, If so - how did you get on?

Douglas
gym upper lower split

#14 ·
I reluctantly ventured out on new years eve with Prolifichare Roger, we fished a section of free water for a few grayling.
It was my intention to do a bit of trotting so took my gear and called in at a place on the way who sells maggots.
Hadnt realised the coarse fishing lake was frozen over and it was shut.
Far too cold to dig for worms and no spade with me I just decided to watch Roger from the bank.
Hells bells it was mighty cold, standing around watching is the worst thing to do, the cold just came up through my boots.
Roger was deep wading in what must have been freezing water, however he managed at least 10 small grayling to the net and lost several more including a lurker that we never got to see, also a very pretty wild brownie was caught and quickly sent on his way.
S.
FA0297D5-1008-4072-95BC-3A0E4126329F.jpeg
79576A8B-F53D-4649-9A73-FD87BD3B9498.jpeg

#15 ·
I reluctantly ventured out on new years eve with Prolifichare Roger, we fished a section of free water for a few grayling.
It was my intention to do a bit of trotting so took my gear and called in at a place on the way who sells maggots.
Hadnt realised the coarse fishing lake was frozen over and it was shut.
Far too cold to dig for worms and no spade with me I just decided to watch Roger from the bank.
Hells bells it was mighty cold, standing around watching is the worst thing to do, the cold just came up through my boots.
Roger was deep wading in what must have been freezing water, however he managed at least 10 small grayling to the net and lost several more including a lurker that we never got to see, also a very pretty wild brownie was caught and quickly sent on his way.
S. View attachment 34167 View attachment 34168
Maybe just as well you couldn't buy bait Steven....your gentles would have frozen....?

B

#20 ·
I've not had a grayling only session this season. :eek: And as per jaybee, distance the problem. There is a local river (once very heavily polluted) but access is difficult and then you have to find the fish ..... if any!!! Plus the weather. Just about been able to keep ticking over, read a few books and articles online, seen quite few vids and tied a few new flies to try.

#24 ·
No reason why I can't fish - except for the freezing temperatures - It would have to be around 8-9 degrees before I venture out - I would not be able to survive minus temps!

Douglas
You do have a habit of total immersion Douglas. ?

#25 ·
Same as above really, a mate is sorting a syndicate on an amazing brownie loch and hopefully another loch to follow so I’ve been tying flies for that and got myself a float tube to fish them. Fingers crossed I’ll be there in April and I can get a report on here.

My local river got hammered during lockdown one but I know there are chub, barbel and grayling (brownies too) in there where people fish without waders. Have never bothered fishing it though as I prefer solitude. Even compared to the other urban rivers I fish during the trout season it’s a busy spot locally.

#26 ·
I don't do a lot of grayling fishing - perhaps only 4-6 sessions a year - Here is my question.

Does anyone have experience of catching grayling in a spate or a falling muddy river, or do they just turn off in these circumstances.

I've never fished for grayling in a coloured, high river - I am only asking because I have not managed any grayling fishing this year due to continual high water - I have never fished for them at the edges of a muddy spate.

If I thought that it would be worthwhile I might be encouraged to give it a chuck!!

Douglas

#29 ·
I don't do a lot of grayling fishing - perhaps only 4-6 sessions a year - Here is my question.

Does anyone have experience of catching grayling in a spate or a falling muddy river, or do they just turn off in these circumstances.

I've never fished for grayling in a coloured, high river - I am only asking because I have not managed any grayling fishing this year due to continual high water - I have never fished for them at the edges of a muddy spate.

If I thought that it would be worthwhile I might be encouraged to give it a chuck!!

Douglas
I had a couple of sessions before lockdown where the river was a couple of feet above normal and coloured. The first time caught me by surprise in that I'd expected a clearing water and I almost went straight back home, but thought what the hell....while I'm here.... I set up a couple of heavy nymphs and trundled them around an eddy on a tight line and had a few grayling and lost what I think was a good oos trout. Just the same idea as a floatfished worm in the same conditions. The takes were really positive but if the fish get into the main current you are in trouble.
B
Edit. Ged and Steven beat me to it. ?

#27 ·
Hi Douglas.
I've not been out doing out and out grayling this season due to covid and distance I have to travel.
I have fished and caught grayling in high water, just have to look for slower water, bankside edges, back eddies, any parts that may be less coloured i.e a feeder stream running clear and fish the seam between the coloured and clear. Use flies hat stand out, either very bright or jet black.
If targeting the edges, look for tree roots that bulge out as the water behind will be slower. Try along reed beds or behind them. The grayling will also be stuck to the bottom, again where the water flow is lessened.
Obviously, if there is no water clarity then no use fishing or if water way too high and rushing through, get's too dangerous.

#37 ·
Had my first jab today (classed as extremely clinically vulnerable) so hoping to get some lessons when they ease lockdown!

Loaded my reel for the first time and was all finger and thumbs as well as shaking like a leaf (a med side effect!) Managed slightly less than perfect Uni and Nail knots and will load a tapered leader once I know where I be having the lessons!

G
#38 ·
Had my first jab today (classed as extremely clinically vulnerable) so hoping to get some lessons when they ease lockdown!

Loaded my reel for the first time and was all finger and thumbs as well as shaking like a leaf (a med side effect!) Managed slightly less than perfect Uni and Nail knots and will load a tapered leader once I know where I be having the lessons!
Good luck with all lad stay sage and we await your updates.

#42 ·
Just back from first session of the year (grayling) -- Blankety Blank - Zilch- Nil -

Having said that, I lost two within the first 30 mins - I suppose that made the blank a little bit annoying.

No excuses today, 10 degrees, river perfect height, light upstream breeze, had the river to myself.

It was good to get out - Tomorrow is another day!

Douglas

#43 ·
I had a few hours trotting for grayling today, they were playing hard to get though, all mu usual bankers pools produced nothing.
I did get one to save the day, beautiful day water height just right?
S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.