Wild Trout and Grayling Fishing 2022

jaybeegee

Just put this up in preparation for next year which is just days away.

Mr. Trout did the honours last year.

Hope this is O.K.

I enjoyed last years 'posters' - Some great reports. I'm sure next year won't disappoint.

Tight lines for 2022. .

Douglas
Well done Douglas and thanks to Steven for last year’s thread..it’s about the best on the forum.
B

Scotty Mitchell

I’m just in from fishing 2 beats of the Tay with a mate.
I had 1 OOS trout (that was in pristine condition I must say) and my mate had a good Grayling approaching 2lb.
That was my first real effort this year and I can’t say I’m in a hurry to repeat it, I think my Grayling fishing days are numbered as I just don’t have the motivation in the winter I once had
I couldn’t help but feel the cold today despite being well layered up.
I’ve fished in way colder wearing way less!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotty Mitchell

Well at least you made the effort and got out. Know what you mean about the cold though.
Bit jealous as my river is still way too high. For the nympher anyway, some trotters may be out and catching.

Peter

It was a nice level today Peter, and we targeted usually quite productive areas for that particular level.
At the second beat we fished a gentleman who was trotting was blank for his session also, very surprising given very good conditions.

eddleston123

I’m just in from fishing 2 beats of the Tay with a mate.
I had 1 OOS trout (that was in pristine condition I must say) and my mate had a good Grayling approaching 2lb.
That was my first real effort this year and I can’t say I’m in a hurry to repeat it, I think my Grayling fishing days are numbered as I just don’t have the motivation in the winter I once had
I couldn’t help but feel the cold today despite being well layered up.
I’ve fished in way colder wearing way less!

Well done Scotty, You're the first this year to kick off with a report for 2022.

I am the same as you in the respect that I feel the cold quite acutely. I'll still go, but it's generally no more than a two hour session before hypothermia sets in.!

Douglas

Scotty Mitchell

Well done Scotty, You're the first this year to kick off with a report for 2022.

I am the same as you in the respect that I feel the cold quite acutely. I'll still go, but it's generally no more than a two hour session before hypothermia sets in.!

Douglas

My mate was a lot keener than I Douglas, I would have sacked it after the first beat but we were in his motor!
I ended up happy we did though as that’s where he got his Grayling.

Mr Notherone

I got up today with high expectations and although cold, the weather looked just right. Unfortunately yesterdays rain pushed the river back up, just above the point I feel comfortable so I took the dogs for an extra long walk. Mr Grayling will have to wait a few more days.

Calder Junky

Few photo’s from my first session of 2022 last week. Great first day in a very coloured river, lot tougher on the second day once the colour had dropped out. Painful at times in the cold but the results were worth the effort.

Andy

Attachments

• 9AD1D344-B745-4FF1-9941-3EE45B555D8A.jpeg
    9AD1D344-B745-4FF1-9941-3EE45B555D8A.jpeg
    482.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 5EE5281D-700C-45FB-BCE0-012A7BFCA29E.jpeg
    5EE5281D-700C-45FB-BCE0-012A7BFCA29E.jpeg
    595.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 8BBADE1E-B306-4881-9769-DA317110B3D3.jpeg
    8BBADE1E-B306-4881-9769-DA317110B3D3.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 351CF6A0-D7F3-4668-A209-02CD3320016F.jpeg
    351CF6A0-D7F3-4668-A209-02CD3320016F.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 105

Rhithrogena

Few photo’s from my first session of 2022 last week. Great first day in a very coloured river, lot tougher on the second day once the colour had dropped out. Painful at times in the cold but the results were worth the effort.

Andy
Blimey, how did you avoid filling your waders?

benisa

Andy
Great fish + pictures but would have thought being that deep/way out a life jacket/vest may have been a good ideal ( only from my point of view ) one slip and as said in the
Sopranos you would be " Sleeping with the fish "

mebu

"I'm sure I'll be reporting a 4 pounder next week!!"

Nice to hear some optimism Douglas, I'm sure you will.

I'm hoping to get out over next few days......also with optimism (and realism).

Peter

jaybeegee

Not a bad morning so I decided to shake off the winter blues and after a good breakfast chucked my gear in the car and headed off up the dale for a few hours.
The river has dropped at last and was in nice order and I wandered about trying a pair of nymphs in likely looking spots, but hooked and lost just one fish. Never mind, it was great to be out fishing and I feel a whole lot better for it. Back home, brought my waders and boots in to dry but left all else in the boot….Friday’s looking good.
B

eddleston123

Enjoyed 3 hours on the Upper Tweed today. Unfortunately, blanked again.

As hard as I try, I can't really think of any excuses this time.

I tried different patterns/sizes etc. also a couple of different methods. I was pretty confident that I was going to catch - but there you go, that's fishing for you.

Perhaps, the grayling were just not on the 'feed' today, or I need to up my game. Most likely the latter.

Probably wont get out again till mid Feb.

Douglas

jaybeegee

Enjoyed 3 hours on the Upper Tweed today. Unfortunately, blanked again.

As hard as I try, I can't really think of any excuses this time.

I tried different patterns/sizes etc. also a couple of different methods. I was pretty confident that I was going to catch - but there you go, that's fishing for you.

Perhaps, the grayling were just not on the 'feed' today, or I need to up my game. Most likely the latter.

Probably wont get out again till mid Feb.

Douglas
You are not alone Douglas, my second blank of the year today. It was a lovely day to be out though and I managed to hook and lose a decent fish which I’m pretty sure was a grayling. Onward and upward. 🙂

0D255023-0906-4B91-91C7-A5DF88B4413B.jpeg

Latest posts