''Wild Trout & Grayling Fishing 2020''

glueman

Not been out yet still wary. My go to fly is the klinkhammer fish it all year round on the Dove. Or if pushed an f fly or a double badger. Those three work well

Bazungu

Went out today for about 2 hours and was able to catch 3 fish. A fish actually took the fly on my very first cast, but I was just so surprised I forgot to strike! Missed a lot of fish, made a lot of mistakes but learned even more!
Two of the fish I caught just 2-3 meters in front of me, very fun these small streams.

fish4.jpg
Hungry little fella. They seem to prefer big flies, no action on smaller ones.

IMG_8722.jpg
Love the orange dots.

Hope everyone had a nice day!

Bazungu

Today was a lesson in humility. I thought: this fly fishing ain't too hard, you kind of throw a fly that you can see well on top of the water in the general direction of a fish that rises and it takes it. Well, that's how it was the first 2 days.
Today I went again and everything seemed normal, all the fish were rising in the exact same spots as before although a lot less frequently. A lot of mayfly and other insect life were floating around but they did not seem to take the bigger ones. I literally tried every single fly in my fly box from dry to flat to nymph but nothing worked. I must have throw at least 100 casts over 1 fish and it would take something right next to my fly but not mine. I believe they were perhaps taking 'emergers' as they definitely broke the water but I did not see them eat any insect floating on top of the water. Sadly, my very minimalistic fly box does not have any merger patterns.... time to change this!
To conclude: is this a frequent occurrence? That trout seem to ignore every possible fly? And it seems they were all in the complot as none of them were interested while the day before they would grab everything that moved.
I guess this distinguishes the beginner from the expert, both catch a lot on a good day but one catches nothing on a bad one!

mrnotherone

To conclude: is this a frequent occurrence? That trout seem to ignore every possible fly? And it seems they were all in the complot as none of them were interested while the day before they would grab everything that moved.
I guess this distinguishes the beginner from the expert, both catch a lot on a good day but one catches nothing on a bad one!
Fish will sometimes lock on to a food and it’s difficult to figure out what it is. Changing the size of fly is often more successful than changing the pattern.

I usually spend more time trying to get a drag free drift than swapping flies.

There again, if you caught all the fish you wanted every time, you’d get bored and take up golf and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone 😁

The magic of fly fishing is that it is a lifelong lesson.

Last edited:

vlado61

It may be a stupid question but isn't it a closed seazon on the rivers until 15 of June, are there rivers allowed for trout fishing at the moment?

sculpin_crusader

It may be a stupid question but isn't it a closed seazon on the rivers until 15 of June, are there rivers allowed for trout fishing at the moment?
It’s not the rivers that are out if season but the fish contained within, current coarse fish are out of season until June the 16th, trout have been in season from April 1st or earlier depending on locality or later depending of fishery rules.

sculpin_crusader

I couldn't contact the BAA for advise, and I wander if it is legal to go to fish for trout in river Teme now?
If it’s predominantly coarse fishing on your stretch you’d be hard pressed to get away with it, my club has trout sections as well as the normal coarse sections of river, those lower sections contain quite a number of trout and some very big fish too but the club is very clear on no fishing those bits until the coarse season opens. You’ll probably find your club has the same ruling.

eddleston123

First day for a bit that we've had a bit of cloud cover. Went up the Lyne water (tributary of Tweed). Now this is a 'small fish water, with the average size of trout around 6-7'' - Today must have been a big fish day!

5 fish 9'' 9'' 10'' 12'' and a monster (for this stream) at just over 13''. All fat as butter. There was a lot of Mayfly hatching, but the fish did not seem that interested. I have never seen Mayflies on this stream before. Plenty of smaller fish rising to my fly but not connecting - I was happy with the bigger ones!

A good day. Some pics to follow, if I can upload them.

Douglas

be

tta
fish

Last edited:

vlado61

If it’s predominantly coarse fishing on your stretch you’d be hard pressed to get away with it, my club has trout sections as well as the normal coarse sections of river, those lower sections contain quite a number of trout and some very big fish too but the club is very clear on no fishing those bits until the coarse season opens. You’ll probably find your club has the same ruling.
Thanks!

bobnudd

Got out today on the Clun. what a difference 24 hours makes yesterday hot and all day sun shine. Today cold and drizzle with frequent heavy showers. But the fish still came up for my stimulator 14 netted an odd one mist. by the time I had finished the river was starting to colour up a bit 20200603_114109.jpg20200603_153328.jpg

Last edited:

eddleston123

A serious question -

You hook a large fish and it races off downstream like a torpedo - What do you do?

1. Loosen off the drag and let it run.
2. Follow it downstream and try to get below it
3. Give it slack so that it may stop
4. Give it serious pressure to stop it (perhaps to the risk of losing it)
5. Give it side pressure from side to side to put it off balance.
6. Keep your rod up high to cushion the pressure
7. Any other suggestions.

Douglas

Latest posts