''Wild Trout & Grayling Fishing 2020''

ohanzee

A serious question -

You hook a large fish and it races off downstream like a torpedo - What do you do?

1. Loosen off the drag and let it run.
2. Follow it downstream and try to get below it
3. Give it slack so that it may stop
4. Give it serious pressure to stop it (perhaps to the risk of losing it)
5. Give it side pressure from side to side to put it off balance.
6. Keep your rod up high to cushion the pressure
7. Any other suggestions.

Douglas
Yes, do them all at the same time :)

bibio1st

Thought the river might have a bit of colour in this evening with the rain we’d had, still very clear, started on the dry, one of Ged’s cdc fluffy ones, had a fish from the first run I tried,2DDC8E0C-402B-4DC8-B3BC-D9370825BE41.jpeg

Changed to a klinkhammer as the cdc one was getting water logged, had a couple more from the top of the run before moving upstream, a couple more to the klinkhammer and a few missed before it got to bow and arrow territory,
114AC8BF-D0EF-4118-ABCC-7E90B42E54CF.jpeg

put one of Ged’s grey beaded nymphs below and had another 4 to to that before calling it a day.

Steve

mrnotherone

A serious question -

You hook a large fish and it races off downstream like a torpedo - What do you do?

Never use a drag where I fish
If I can I'll get downstream
No
No, gradual pressure
Side pressure yes to direct it
Not necessarily
Start looking around for someone/something to blame 😁

bobnudd

A serious question -

Douglas
Don't do what I did the other day when the fish took off down stream towards me. Walk backwards trying to keep tight on it and ending up on my back

jaybeegee

Had a few hours on the river this aft; cool and cloudy but even after a drop of rain yesterday the water was low and clear. There were a few fly hatching and I tried a small olive on some risers in the tail of a long pool to no effect. Switched to a pair of spiders and got a couple of very quick knocks on a waterhen bloa but missed both. I moved up to deeper water at the top of the pool as the heavens opened and put on a black magic nymph that brought eight fish in the space of forty minutes. No waterproof jacket and soaked to the bone I sacked it about half three.

B

tjjm

Tuesday I fished the Home beat on the test I saw quite a few fish however it was v hot and v sunny, no rides and caught none,
Today I fished the Itchen and did not
See a fish all day no fly life not a rise nothing the river looked dead weird.
I tried about 5 different flies but in the end gave up , very frustrating and disappointing, my buddy who is an accomplished fisherman also caught zero....
A little lost to be honest, as we just finishing the Mayfly I would have thought we would have seen much more action.?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrnotherone

Today I fished the Itchen and did not
See a fish all day no fly life not a rise nothing the river looked dead weird.
I tried about 5 different flies but in the end gave up , very frustrating and disappointing, my buddy who is an accomplished fisherman also caught zero....
A little lost to be honest, as we just finishing the Mayfly I would have thought we would have seen much more action.?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What time of day were you fishing?

sean freeman

On the Derbyshire Derwent earlier in the week not too far downstream from the Wye confluence and although the temperature made it an incredibly tough afternoon I was wondering whether this qualifies as a wildie that had been washed down! :) View attachment 27334
Definitely wild, they’re establishing a decent population in the Derwent now!

eddleston123

Fished a border stream this afternoon. Water was low but not as low as I thought, perhaps the rain last night helped.

A very frustrating start - Rose a hooked 5 fish, which all detached themselves, they must have been 'rising short' (whatever that means) - Anyway, ended up with three to the net two of which were a good size thirteen and thirteen and a half inches. A good result to end a frustrating day.

Some pics to follow.

Douglas

all you can eat sushi wilmington nc

The wee ones are always welcome.

Last edited:

4wings

I got out for the first time yesterday evening, only a short two and half hours finishing at half eight. Despite very few rising fish I caught the majority of fish off the top using either a single klinkhåmer or deer hair emerger which tempted the last and best two fish.

First of this years season
View attachment 26510

Second to last 15” fish
View attachment 26511
View attachment 26512

Last of the day, 18”, always great to end on a fantastic fish.
View attachment 26513
View attachment 26514
I like the dark colour of this last fish.

BobP

A serious question -

Douglas
Several years ago I stood on a bridge over a river in Austria, a long stretch of which my cousin rents. Below us was fast, white water, but under the bank on our left a tiny field drain came into the river and there was a small patch of more or less calm water no more than a metre square, if that.

Cousin Thomas pointed out that little patch of water and said that the previous week he had seen a good fish there and why didn't I climb down the bank to see if it was still there. The bank was at an angle of about 45 degrees, and immediately below the field drain was a large bush sticking out over the water. No way downstream.

Ever willing to give it a go I clambered down until I was a few feet above the calm patch and flicked a dry Stimulator onto the water. It took all of 15 before the resident nailed the fly. Now we come to the tricky bit. The fish launched himself out into the fast water which had standing white water waves in it and to this day I do not know why he stayed on and why he didn't break the 4lb leader. It was literally hang on and hope with little idea of where the fish actually was.

Finally I manged to get the fish back into the calmer water below me and net it out. I suppose it would have weighed about 2lbs or a bit under. My cousin stood on the bridge above p*ssing himself he was laughing so much and then asked me why I had let it go when I had regained the higher ground.

There is only one answer to the 6 questions above. When all else fails, pray! Sometimes it works.

eddleston123

Several years ago I stood on a bridge over a river in Austria, a long stretch of which my cousin rents. Below us was fast, white water, but under the bank on our left a tiny field drain came into the river and there was a small patch of more or less calm water no more than a metre square, if that.

Cousin Thomas pointed out that little patch of water and said that the previous week he had seen a good fish there and why didn't I climb down the bank to see if it was still there. The bank was at an angle of about 45 degrees, and immediately below the field drain was a large bush sticking out over the water. No way downstream.

Ever willing to give it a go I clambered down until I was a few feet above the calm patch and flicked a dry Stimulator onto the water. It took all of 15 before the resident nailed the fly. Now we come to the tricky bit. The fish launched himself out into the fast water which had standing white water waves in it and to this day I do not know why he stayed on and why he didn't break the 4lb leader. It was literally hang on and hope with little idea of where the fish actually was.

Finally I manged to get the fish back into the calmer water below me and net it out. I suppose it would have weighed about 2lbs or a bit under. My cousin stood on the bridge above p*ssing himself he was laughing so much and then asked me why I had let it go when I had regained the higher ground.

There is only one answer to the 6 questions above. When all else fails, pray! Sometimes it works.

I fish a couple of border streams where the trout are far from prolific, but the ones that are there tend to be biggies. for some reason you can play an average sized trout which keeps above or adjacent to you, but when you hook a biggie, it tears off downstream like a locomotive.

When it tears of 20 yards of your line it inevitable detaches itself. I suspect that by that stage the fly is being pulled pretty much directly out of its mouth.

I tend to get out of the water and try to get below the fish, but to do this in a matter of seconds is often impossible.

One of my default positions is to give the fish slack and hopefully stop it, thereby giving you time to get below it. There does not seem to be any definitive answer, hence my question.

I will try your suggestion next time this happens. I am not religious by any means but I will PRAY !

Douglas

BobP

I fish a couple of border streams where the trout are far from prolific, but the ones that are there tend to be biggies. for some reason you can play an average sized trout which keeps above or adjacent to you, but when you hook a biggie, it tears off downstream like a locomotive.

When it tears of 20 yards of your line it inevitable detaches itself. I suspect that by that stage the fly is being pulled pretty much directly out of its mouth.

I tend to get out of the water and try to get below the fish, but to do this in a matter of seconds is often impossible.

One of my default positions is to give the fish slack and hopefully stop it, thereby giving you time to get below it. There does not seem to be any definitive answer, hence my question.

I will try your suggestion next time this happens. I am not religious by any means but I will PRAY !

Douglas
Douglas

On my periodic returns to Austria I go and stand on that bridge, look at the little calm patch by the field drain and ask myself, "Why did you do such a stupid thing?"

To this day I have no idea why everything hung together and I landed that fish. I returned it because I felt he deserved it. He probably took 5 years off my life expectancy, but I guess I took 1 off his and I thought I had more to offer than he did.