''Wild Trout & Grayling Fishing 2020''

simonhad

Had a few hours on Thornton Beck today, a small, jungly stream near the Dalby Forest here in North Yorks. I fished a beaded nymph, casting very short through necessity, and managed eight little wildies and a couple of lunking dim-witted escapee browns. Some more pics here if anyone is interested:

thorntonfish3_30june20.JPG

heathenwoods

I had a lovely evening on the Derwent. Fly life, trout rising occasionally, and the wind had dropped. Half a dozen fish in an hour and half including this little fella, probably the best fish I'll catch all season. He was tucked up under some trees, within 3 inches of the far bank, 30 feet away, across maybe four changes in current. I got a #16 parachute Adams to him with the best two feet of drift it was possible to hope for. Perfect cast? I don't know but it was good enough.

181c.jpg

cgaines10

Yes they did. Why wouldn't they? Whats with all the questions? You think fluff chuckers fly fishermen are the only ones who can handle a fish properly? I figured you guys would be knowledgeable about trout and we could have some good discussions. It's a shame if all you want to do is attack lure angling.

How long did you have that trout out the water to go & get your mat :eek: jesus christ, I couldn't watch any longer after that🤦‍♂️

eddleston123

Today, I decided to embark on the long walk and fish the hill burn for wee brownies.

The weather could have been kinder. It was breezy to say the least, and the weather forecast that it would only be light drizzle was a bit wrong. It p1ssed for most of the day.

The burn was quite full, with the fish harbouring at the quite bits at the side. It was dam difficult to present a fly for any longer than a couple of seconds before the strong current whisked it away.

I wet waded today, which was o.k. as I got soaked from top to bottom anyway (including one slip which ended in a top to toe bath)

Usually on this burn under better conditions you can get into double figures. Today, I struggled to get 5. I was happy with that. Also rose and hooked a few others. Fished dry fly all day.

Some pics to follow hopefully.

Douglas

All fish captured on a dry fly.

Last edited:

eddleston123

Had a couple of hours on a border stream this afternoon. Stream was quite high and raging down at pinch points. It was clear enough, so I just fished with a searching dry fly as usual.

3 Fish which I was happy with considering there wasn't a rise to be seen. Afternoons are not the best bet to fish at this time of year. The evenings are really when you should be fishing, but as I can't fish evenings at the moment I am happy to take my chances during the day.

Douglas

Best of the day by a long chalk. It launched itself out of the water to engulf my fly.
A beauty at 15''

Water was fairly hammering down today - spoilt some pools, but nevertheless, I'd still be moaning if the water was too low!

They're not all big, but all welcome. A plump 10 incher

Last edited:

mebu

Had the morning on the main stretch of the little river, first time here since lockdown, when I blanked. Water height good, but a bit coloured. After a quiet start, saw a pool with some rises, unfortunately couldn't get downstream so had to enter from above. First flies didn't work, then a small black spider did well drifting down, and then a small beaded hare's ear. After several browns netted and more lost, no more pulls so went further upstream and found nymphs working , although not all fish stuck. Some very heavy rain showers, but fished on as fully waterproofed. Came back to this pool later and did well again.
Best part was seeing several kingfishers, then a late mayfly, which rose to about 10 ft in the air, the a flycatcher swooped from maybe 30 yards away and wolfed it.
Some lovely fish, although I rarely do pics nowadays, but a morning which reminded me why I bother.

icaughtafishonce

Went up to one of my local beats on the Usk for a short evening session. When I got there it was rather windier than I'd hoped. So I (probably foolishly) decided to walk up to the top of the beat to see what it's like. The answer being deep on the side that I was on (can't wade across I'd say) and rather inaccessible. Lots of fish tho. Pity I largely couldn't figure out how to get a fly to them. Kinda frustrating really. Thankfully the views of the hills are lovely and it was nice just to bimble around.

eddleston123

I did not have a good day today --- I had a 'great' day. I journeyed down to Talla reservoir for the first time this year.

It was breezy, and I couldn't see anything dimpling the surface on the quite bits so I fished traditional wets from the off. I had a peter ross on the tail and an olive dabbler on the dropper (I don't fish with any more than two)

Fished for some 4 hours and ended up with 15 fish. All quite a good size for this reservoir - Sizes from 8'' to 13'' - Also lost a thumper.

It was about 50/50 between the Peter Ross and the Dabbler. Also lost a few fish and had many pulls. An action packed and enjoyable day from my point of view. There was only one other angler, in a boat. This reservoir is never crowded, usually, I am the only one fishing.

Some pics

Douglas

One to the Peter Ross

One to the Olive Dabbler

Great reservoir, beautiful isolated location.

How many different colouration strains does this water hold!

Last edited:

colliedog

Nice day Douglas. The water level looks quite healthy for the time of year. Do you know if the cafe in Broughton is still doing The day tickets?

eddleston123

Nice day Douglas. The water level looks quite healthy for the time of year. Do you know if the cafe in Broughton is still doing The day tickets?
Hi colliedog,

I'm not sure who sells day tickets for Talla at the moment. I take out a season ticket each year.

Last year it was 'Laurel Bank Tearooms' Broughton. 01899 830462

However, I believe that 'Broughton Village Store' 01899 830465 is open again. They used to sell tickets in the past.

Give them a ring, I'm sure one of them will sell day tickets (or both)

a.t.b.

Douglas

p.s. Yes, the reservoir was quite full today. Having said that I have had good days when the water has been very very low.

njm

How long did you have that trout out the water to go & get your mat :eek: jesus christ, I couldn't watch any longer after that🤦‍♂️
Don't get too carried away; we all love a pastime that ultimately includes sticking a hook through a fish's mouth and pulling it around for a bit (or sometimes the other way round).

And all for sport.