''Wild Trout & Grayling Fishing 2020''

Bazungu

Decided to drive down to the Tweed last night instead of my local water in the search for some monster trout...... and monster trout is what I got.

When I arrived at 6pm it was really windy which was a bit of a bummer since I only got a 3# for dry fly at the moment as I am waiting for my reel to arrive for my 5#. Luckily I brought my nymphing rod as well.
I walked for a long time to find a spot where there wasn't too much wind while now and then dipping some nymphs in the current. For the first time in my life, I think I saw a salmon as it jumped out of the water in the far distant. A bit later a monster must have jumped right next to me as it gave me a scare with a huge splash.
I was much anticipating the evening rise as my local stretch goes crazy around 9pm. Sadly nothing really happened , no fish rising. But then finally, I got a strike at the margins of the river on my dry fly...and what a monster...

tweed2.jpg

Later on I got a few more of these monastery small fish, this one being the biggest of the bunch
tweed.jpg

All were caught on a new fly a friend tied for me called a ' soft hackle dry fly'.
While I didn't get my monsterly big Tweed trout, I did learn a ton and realised how different this big river fishing is compared to my local stream. It was really nice though to be able to back cast for once!

Edit: I just realised some of those tinier fish (like picture 1 ) might actually be salmon? So caught my first ever Salmon in that case !

Attachments

Last edited:

eddleston123

Yes, big rivers certainly are different 'kettle of fish' from smaller streams.

The top fish is a salmon parr. You were lucky to catch one. I have not caught a salmon parr all season.
That doesn't bode well for future salmon runs.

I remember many years ago, that you could fish a pool and almost catch a parr a cast. The upper Tweed is not an easy river to fish imo. But bear in mind that the fish are there and some monsters among them, they are just not that easily caught these. days. The 'evening rise' is a real hit or a miss on this river. I usually just fish with a searching dry fly whether or not there is anything rising. I've caught some good fish using this method. An increasing amount of anglers fish with weighted nymphs all year round.

Nice looking trout. You didn't blank!

Douglas

Last edited:

eddleston123

Tomorrow, according to the forecast, it will be light rain and a strong downstream wind.

The strong downstream wind is my major issue.

I'll decide in the morning if I should go or save my petrol, although the thought of another day in the house my just tip my mental balance!

Can't do any worse than blank it as I did on Friday.

Douglas

mebu

Douglas I'm sure you will do well: I too shall be out on the river, a couple of hundred miles south of you. Got to be optimistic, as it my first foray across the newly-opened border of Wales.
Peter

jaybeegee

My last outing until August today due to a cardioversion thing on the 30th, so isolating from Wednesday ‘ til then. A good flow and nice and clear but very few risers so I searched with a couple of nymphs, gradually increasing the weight until the point fly was bang on the bottom and had two good fish from about five feet of water. Switched to the duo for pocket water with the same heavy nymph and hooked and lost three fish, all of which got into the main current... no contest. Anyway, honour is restored after last Thursday’s blank 😎
B

Mrtrout

My last outing until August today due to a cardioversion thing on the 30th, so isolating from Wednesday ‘ til then. A good flow and nice and clear but very few risers so I searched with a couple of nymphs, gradually increasing the weight until the point fly was bang on the bottom and had two good fish from about five feet of water. Switched to the duo for pocket water with the same heavy nymph and hooked and lost three fish, all of which got into the main current... no contest. Anyway, honour is restored after last Thursday’s blank 😎
B
Well done B, and good luck on the 30th.
S.

mebu

B, sounds like it was a good day, all the best for your op and trust it all goes well.

Peter

jaybeegee

Thanks for the good wishes chaps. I'm looking forward to getting back to normal for the last couple of months of the season although the thought of isolation is not attactive....at least I've got the garden to occupy time. With a bit of luck I might wangle a couple of hours on the river Wednesday morning.

B

heathenwoods

All the best for your op, jaybeegee.

I've had two recent days. Saturday evening on the Derwent just below Ladybower. I caught half a dozen brownies and an escaped 'bow - the latter killed my camera! (Well, it was me juggling the squirmy bow and dropping my compact in the river. At least the memory card survived!) The brownie in the photo was a fish I've targetted a couple of times* but had no luck with. Just off the back end of corner, a few feet out from an overhanging tree. I finally got 'im with a waterhen bloa. Yes, I was hoping for a big, fat hog of a fish but I was still chuffed.

192b.jpg
192.jpg
It's bloody beautiful up there.

I was a lot further down the Derwent today, not far above Derby, and it was chillier, very overcast, and with a slowly leaking right foot in my waders, a bit grim. I caught a fair few grayling but I am mystified that, yet again, I've not seen any trout down there. The grayling were mostly pretty small and didn't really do much to stop me from contemplating my trout drought. We had repeated floods and prolonged high water all through winter and I can't help but think that's had an effect in the bottom end of the middle river. Upstream seems okay, perhaps a little down on previous years, but this is a notable absence.

I'm really enjoying fishing with the 10' #4 Streamflex mk1 I picked up 'accidentally' from eBay - best accident of the year. Casting is good and playing fish on it is great. What a lovely rod.

mebu

Out on the Dee this morning. As a strong downstream wind decided to use spiders. Started at a stretch which is normally a banker, but fished it down without a pluck or swirl. Fished down again with different rig, got one medium grayling. Had a good hike upstream - first cast a swirl to orange and partridge, then a good grayling. Then got pestered by parr, almost a fish per cast, mainly to orange and partridge, then took that off for grayling.

Went back downstream to another good stretch, swirls and grayling to various spiders, and a few parr. Had a problem with a few which took spider well down the throat, difficult to get out without damaging the fish.

Not a single brown. This river is not famous for browns, but normally get a couple. Noticed very few fish rising also, and water very cold, maybe released from Bala which is cooler than the nice warm rainwater the insects are used to over the last few weeks.

ct1642

Nice to catch up on everyone's reports.

I apologise for how infrequent mines have been this year. Fatherhood and work seem to be the top of the priorities these days and a recent shoulder injury has left me sulking like a kid.

Anyway. Here are a few from my last few outings. Hope everyone's well. And tight lines.

Attachments

smallmouth

Another day on the river and I explored a bit further, starting at some some rocky pocket water further toward the downstream limit where my first little brownie was on a "nymph". Well in truth it's a short #16 with a rear half of mixed pink & orange dubbing, a front half of brown dubbing, ribbed with copper wire. I saw the pattern in a mag years ago, and used to tie them with a short lead underbody, but my latest ones have a 2mm copper bead. No idea what it might imitate, but the little brownies take it so.......

typical stamp.jpg

Worked my way back upstream for another one and considered putting a couple of spiders on instead, but I was itching to get up to the flat water and fish a dry fly while it was still dull.

I put the same parachute as last time on, with an antron loop wing and a dubbed body of persian cat underfur, but went down to a #21 to 7x for the flat water. Had a couple more brownies in the flowing flat water, but the fish in the long really sluggish pool weren't having it, with hip waders on I couldn't get close enough anyway.

Onwards and upwards to the banker pools I fished the other week for a few more, then upstream toward the upper shallows, where I had a couple more difficult brownies.

These little brownies are enough to put a nice bend in the little #3 and I think the stretch is fished enough that they're no mugs, (though I never saw another angler on the day).

By this time it was obvious that the repair I'd done on the heel of my right wader had failed, and water was sloshing around my knee....

So home in time to enjoy Spurs beating the Gunners in the North London derby and order some Vass waist waders from Exeter Angling, (they've just arrived!).

eddleston123

Today, I ventured out despite the 15mph downstream wind. I chose a couple of wide pools and fish across and down at range.

It was a challenging day, but ended up with a couple of fish. Lots of colour on the banks at the moment, and it was just good to get out.

Douglas

Couldn't have painted it better myself

Lots of colour - Meadowsweet and Ragged Robin

free picture posting

Pink Yarrow

Last edited:

wobbly face

Hooraaayyyyyy, my first session on the river since lock down. A few changes here and there with the river bed, a few trees toppled also.
It was a cold day, only 13 C, gusty wind downstream and grey. Luckily the river was very clear, at a nice height and had a good flow.
I used my Orvis recon (old model but first outing) 8.4ft #3. It has a nice delicate tip which helped cushion any blows. I still lost a few fish though. :rolleyes: I fished duo on a 9ft tapered leader, tippet ring, 3ft of stroff 0.12 with another 2.5ft on dropper knot, dropper 5 inch. Used size 18 CDC dry and a size 20 grey nymph with 2mm nickle tungsten bead. I had to change the nymph twice, lost tails don't catch fish.
Caught fish almost from the start, nymph scoring well and plenty of browns. Caught fish from most water types though some sections were disappointing whilst others were hot. (y) I may have caught more fish if I went to a heavier nymph, especially grayling. But, I'm not complaining as I managed a total of 39 fish. 11 to the dry with one being a good grayling. It ended 36 browns and 3 grayling. The browns were all in good nick, all had fat bellies and looked stunning with bright colours. No pics I'm afraid despite taking my camera. Just too caught up fishing. :ROFLMAO:

On another note, my new wading boots were great. (y) I'll start a thread about them.