''Wild Trout & Grayling Fishing 2020''

Scotty Mitchell

Well Turret did not go to plan at all!
Given the pristine conditions I thought all I had to do was turn up.
The Garden centre even opened early, so permit was secured and I was fishing by 0900.
The reservoir is low and gin clear so single fly seems to do best just now.
Maybe I always fish dries on lochs to my detriment, but I can't seem to abstain. I'm still hooked on watching the fly, and the anticipation drives me to want to do it more.... Anyway.... The first riser I saw I covered and hooked. It was a decent fish, worth a photo, but I realised then my phone wasn't where it should be and was still in the rucksack. Not to worry, there will be more, and better 😁
I could end the report there, and let you all guess the rest, and you would all be correct.
Left at 1400hrs without seeing another fish.
Onwards and upwards 👍

eddleston123

Had a fairly long session (well, long for me) on a tumbling border stream today. Things were challenging to say the least, but nevertheless I had an enjoyable day with 5 fish up to 13'' - Lost a few and missed a few rises, so plenty trouty action.

I probably make things difficult for myself by sticking to dry fly, but like Scotty, that is what I enjoy.
The conditions were absolutely fine, overcast, with a mild breeze, the water level was reasonable.

Evenings would produce a better result, but unfortunately, I can only fish during the day at the moment, which is probably the worst time - dog days of summer and all that - so I was pleased with the result. Didn't see another soul all day.

I'll try and upload some pics

Douglas

Best of the day - A leaper - lept all over the pool.

The wee ones punch well above their weight at this time of year.

upload images online

Beginning to think that the best place to take a pic of a trout is in the net. The hook came out of this fish in the net. I didn't need to handle it at all!

Easy to take a tumble in some parts of this stream - It's a lot deeper than it looks!

Last edited:

bobnudd

That looks like a lovely stream. One I'm sure I could take a tumble in with very little effort

eddleston123

That looks like a lovely stream. One I'm sure I could take a tumble in with very little effort
Yes it is a lovely stream. I have taken numerous 'tumbles' over the years - soaked from top to bottom, but that would never stop me fishing!

Like a lot of border streams and hillside burns that I fish - A wading staff is absolutely ESSENTIAL and and not just for the oldies like me!

Douglas

eddleston123

Nice pics douglas, is that the new green reel?
S.
Yes, that's the one that I have just recently received (with massive import duties/vat etc)

It is a 3/4# because that's about all they had left. I have loaded it with a cut in half Barrio Double Tapered line. With backing this fits perfectly.

This works really well, for all the distance that I cast, on running waters. I still have the other half. Call me a miserable git, but it casts like a dream with my sharpes the gordon rod.

When I fish the reservoir I use the 5/6# version, although as far as catching trout is concerned it probably wouldn't make that much difference.

a.t.b.

Douglas

mrnotherone

When I fish the reservoir I use the 5/6# version, although as far as catching trout is concerned it probably wouldn't make that much difference.
I won the same reel a few years ago Douglas and picked the green one. I use it when the wind is up and I need a bit more oomph than my usual 4 wt rod. Must say it's a lovely reel with one of the best drags I've used.

eddleston123

I won the same reel a few years ago Douglas and picked the green one. I use it when the wind is up and I need a bit more oomph than my usual 4 wt rod. Must say it's a lovely reel with one of the best drags I've used.
I quite like Allen Reels, they are robust, well made and haven't let me down yet.

When fishing streams/rivers, I will fish with a 5# weight outfit - In the general scale of things, that may seem like a bit of overkill, but it is necessary to combat the windy/hurricane places up in my neck of the woods.

a.t.b.

Douglas

simonhad

eddleston123

Tough going on the Seven up here in North Yorks today. It looked pretty much perfect, but a pair of heavy nymphs on a french leader set up produced zilch after an hour or so. Switched to an emerger and managed five pretty little wild browns. Some more pics here if anyone is interested:

View attachment 29094
Nice fish simonhad, beautiful colours.

Size should have nothing to do with this sport, it is the challenge of catching them that matters.

It does look a lovely looking stream.

Douglas

eddleston123

Went for a very short session at Talla reservoir today. This valley has a climate of its own!
I had all types of weather, dark overcast skies, blue skies, wind from a gentle breeze to a hurricane force, drizzle, torrential rain, flat calm to ripple to big waves.

Anyway, caught three fish - two good size and one junior - I was happy enough with that for the short time that I was there.

This reservoir can be very fickle - on the 6th July I caught 15 fish (a record for me) but a few days later 10th July, I blanked.

I just fished my go to (two fly ) set up a peter ross on the point and an olive dabbler a few feet further up. Had a couple of pulls that did not connect. An enjoyable session.

Douglas

12'' - A good size for Talla.

It started of calm enough and dry - Then the heavens opened - Stair Rods!

Just a nice place to fish - Today, as usual, I had the place to myself, no need to worry about social distancing!. I fished the opposite side from the roadside, and started about three quarters of a mile down. This bit usually produces.

Last edited:

BobP

On Friday I had one of the best chalkstream days I have ever had. I was invited as a guest to one of the lesser chalkstreams - one that is never stocked. I had to wade all day as keepering is minimal to say the least.

The catch? I had 3 grayling either side of 45cms so all well over the 2lb mark. 3 more that will undoubtedly make that by the winter, and 30+ lesser grayling. There were also a dozen browns topped off with one that would probably go 1.5lbs.

The last time I caught 3 grayling of that sort of size in one day I was 17 years old and using grasshoppers as bait on a large Austrian river.

Not a day to be easily forgotten!

eddleston123

On Friday I had one of the best chalkstream days I have ever had. I was invited as a guest to one of the lesser chalkstreams - one that is never stocked. I had to wade all day as keepering is minimal to say the least.

The catch? I had 3 grayling either side of 45cms so all well over the 2lb mark. 3 more that will undoubtedly make that by the winter, and 30+ lesser grayling. There were also a dozen browns topped off with one that would probably go 1.5lbs.

The last time I caught 3 grayling of that sort of size in one day I was 17 years old and using grasshoppers as bait on a large Austrian river.

Not a day to be easily forgotten!

Sounds like a memorable day. Every time I have a day like that, I can never ever seem to replicate it.

It probably wouldn't have mattered much if it had been stocked or not, you would still presumably still have captured 36 grayling.

I take it that you had no option but to wade as the banks were overgrown.

It would be difficult to catch a grayling on the upper tweed without wading - having said that, they are dam difficult to catch under any circumstances.

Well done.

Douglas

mebu

Went out today to a stretch well up river from where I have fished before.
At first sight a really good run of several hundred yards of constant thigh depth water over clean gravel, easy wading with clear casting and probably holding lots of trout and grayling.
But, didn't it blow, very strong downstream wind coming down the valley, just about impossible to get a team of spiders out at 90 degrees, 45 degrees was a good cast. Most casts ended up just dangling downstream, had lots of swirls and tugs and a number of parr. Tried heavy nymphs to get beneath the parr, although these also difficult to get out, ended up downstream. A good grayling straight away, then more parr on the dangle.
After 4 hours, decided to leave it, but will certainly be back to that beat when conditions better.

eddleston123

Went out today to a stretch well up river from where I have fished before.
At first sight a really good run of several hundred yards of constant thigh depth water over clean gravel, easy wading with clear casting and probably holding lots of trout and grayling.
But, didn't it blow, very strong downstream wind coming down the valley, just about impossible to get a team of spiders out at 90 degrees, 45 degrees was a good cast. Most casts ended up just dangling downstream, had lots of swirls and tugs and a number of parr. Tried heavy nymphs to get beneath the parr, although these also difficult to get out, ended up downstream. A good grayling straight away, then more parr on the dangle.
After 4 hours, decided to leave it, but will certainly be back to that beat when conditions better.

Hi mebu,

That's the reason that I fish the reservoir when it is blowing a downstream hoolie. If I fished the river then I would have to contend with 15 -20mph winds - blowing downstream!! As mainly a dry fly angler, this makes things pretty difficult.

Douglas

BobP

Yes, Douglas, wading all day which is an unusual experience on a chalkstream. There are certainly plenty of grayling there as well as a very good head of wild browns in a good range of sizes.

I'm getting the prayer mat out in the hopes of another invitation. If I lived closer I'd be very tempted to see if I could get a rod there though I suspect my wife would probably divorce me for abandonment or whatever.

thetrouttickler

I've mentioned before that I live in something of a trout desert. The Weald of Sussex isn't the most conducive to trout streams. I envy all of you who pop out to your local trout streams whenever the fancy takes you (and enjoy following your exploits here).

The nearest free section of fishing I have yet been able to find is an hour away. It's a typical Weald river - sandy, clay-based, discoloured and languid water, with steep banks cut through time.

I visited it again yesterday, my second visit. I've only explored around half of the free section so there is plenty more to see. It has fine little trout, and they seem willing to rise to dry flies. It's a fairly overgrown place with thick barriers of head-high nettles and brambles, but this keeps the dog walkers away (and the bait boys I think). It's tricky to wade and hard to cast, but I'm happy with it, for a free stretch, given that fishing in the south generally comes at a bit of a cost.

1595849545891.png

1595849537632.png

1595850898118.png

I was also pleasantly surprised to discover there are grayling in this river, odd because the bottom is quite silty.

1595849573473.png

Last edited:

eddleston123

I've mentioned before that I live in something of a trout desert. The Weald of Sussex isn't the most conducive to trout streams. I envy all of you who pop out to your local trout streams whenever the fancy takes you (and enjoy following your exploits here).

The nearest free section of fishing I have yet been able to find is an hour away. It's a typical Weald river - sandy, clay-based, discoloured and languid water, with steep banks cut through time.

I visited it again yesterday, my second visit. I've only explored around half of the free section so there is plenty more to see. It has fine little trout, and they seem willing to rise to dry flies. It's a fairly overgrown place with thick barriers of head-high nettles and brambles, but this keeps the dog walkers away (and the bait boys I think). It's tricky to wade and hard to cast, but I'm happy with it, for a free stretch, given that fishing in the south generally comes at a bit of a cost.

View attachment 29173

View attachment 29172

View attachment 29175

I was also pleasantly surprised to discover there are grayling in this river, odd because the bottom is quite silty.

View attachment 29174

These are beautiful looking trout.

Douglas