''Wild Trout & Grayling Fishing 2020''

Scotty Mitchell

Went with a mate today to fish a beat of a Tay Tributary we hadn't fished before.
The water carrying a touch of colour but nothing drastic, we could still make out boulders in near waist deep water.
In the absence of rising fish I fished a single green Perdigon nymph on a long leader directly upstream and tracked it back. Tragetting the bigger boulders in the stream produced the fish.
We couldn't find many big trout (photos are not easy in the fast water and we don't fish together so there's not many good fish pics I'm afraid)
But we did find large Grayling!
So in all a decent morning. Always good to find some new water that's worth a bit more effort and investigation. We will return!

Last edited:

eddleston123

Went with a mate today to fish a beat of a Tay Tributary we hadn't fished before.
The big trout didn't play, but some large Grayling did.
A single small Green Perdigon nymph fished directly upstream quite far, to allow sink time for the small fly, and tracked back through the boulders produced the goods.
Good to find new water worth further effort and investigation 👍.
The pics are dodgy as although I often fish with a couple of mates, we don't fish together, and it's always just a quick snap and back, so apologies for that, that applies to all my pics, I'm no photographer 😊

I'm pleased you had a good day.

These grayling must have been eating the pork pies!

Douglas

The water carrying a touch of colour but nothing drastic, we could still make out boulders in near waist deep water.
In the absence of rising fish I fished a single green Perdigon nymph on a long leader directly upstream and tracked it back. Tragetting the bigger boulders in the stream produced the fish.
We couldn't find many big trout (photos are not easy in the fast water and we don't fish together so there's not many good fish pics I'm afraid)
But we did find large Grayling!
So in all a decent morning. Always good to find some new water that's worth a bit more effort and investigation. We will

bibio1st

Back on the mixed fish river this evening, fished a bit higher up than normal, wind was a bit tricky so fished double nymph and varying the size depending on conditions, had a trout from the first run 5F57BE95-539A-4356-8924-2E0FE1D53BF8.jpeg

Thought it might produce more than one but sometimes it doesn’t produce at all, moved up and continued to get trout from a variety of water types before getting my first grayling, only a small one, a few more trout before another grayling about twice the size of the first, had been fishing a 3m bead in the point but was approaching some fast turbulent water with a bit of depth so switched to a heavier shrimp pattern, had a decent grayling, a couple of casts later had an even better one
49F78713-5B46-432B-9AA8-803B3D1C9E66.jpeg

Had a trout to the shrimp also so left it on a while but that was the start of losing fish for fun🙄, not sure why as the hook was sharp, went back to a normal nymph but the result was the same, I’d land about one in five, still I was getting interest which is the main thing, just one of those days.

Steve

heathenwoods

I had a few hours on my local river this evening. The sun was dipping towards the horizon and the teenage stoners were gathering on their usual corner. Rather than provide them with entertainment as I slipped around on the uneven riverbed, I walked a mile or so downstream and fished a slight bend that I'd passed by and never fished.

210b.jpg

Quick, snatchy rises made me think grayling and they weren't shy about rising to my fly but they would not take it. So, I dropped down from a #14 deer hair caddis to a #16 klink. They rose to it on almost every cast but still would not take. So, down to a #18 black gnat pattern (hackled but no wings). That cracked the code. I caught a half a dozen with this probably being the best of them.

210c.jpg

That was a good moment. As the light began fade, I made a few exploratory casts to a slower glide that looked fishy but had no fish rising. Second cast something big and trouty crashed upwards onto my fly. Overexcited, I snatched my fly out of its mouth. It was big. And I know where it lives.

eddleston123

Today, the conditions were perfect. Cloud Cover, 14-15 degrees, drizzle to light rain, mild breeze. The river was also at a good height. Fished for around 3 hours.

I wasn't disappointed today, caught 5 fish. No monsters, but good size fat brownies plus a wee one.
All captured on dry fly. They were rising quite short today. Lost a couple at the net and struck into fresh air on numerous occasions. I did change to a smaller fly, but it was a catch 22 situation, the smaller fly wasn't bringing them up!

I'm glad I managed out today, cause I think tomorrow is going to be very warm.

Douglas

Stunning colours.

They were all lightly hooked today, Lost a few at the net and a the fly came out of a couple in the net!

A fattie!
photo upload free url

Must have rose half a dozen fish at the head of this pool without connecting - the trout have got to win sometimes I suppose!

The wee ones are the future!

Last edited:

bobnudd

Got out yesterday up the Elan Valley. And it was another long day Douglas left home at 6:00 back for 22:00.Started fishing around 09:30 on pen-y-Garreg and had 2 nice fish in the first half hour. P1040937.JPG Then after that it was brutal not a pull or a splash at the flies. The conditions looked perfect but I guess no one told the fish. Any how by 14:00 we were demoralized and hungry So we climbed back up yo the road.Where my man servant prepared my lunch and we planed our new strategy. P1040942.JPG So after our repast it was decided to say goodbye to Pen-y-garreg.

P1040938.JPG We dropped down to Garreg Ddu for the late afternoon early evening session with much the same results. I did manage to temped 2 small Trout up to a foam beetle. Then just before 19:00 my mate rose and caught his one and only fish of the day. With that tiny fish landed we called it a day. That's the way it is here I fined it's either famine or feast.Yesterday it was famine next time I'll hope for feast next time

eddleston123

Got out yesterday up the Elan Valley. And it was another long day Douglas left home at 6:00 back for 22:00.Started fishing around 09:30 on pen-y-Garreg and had 2 nice fish in the first half hour. View attachment 29264 Then after that it was brutal not a pull or a splash at the flies. The conditions looked perfect but I guess no one told the fish. Any how by 14:00 we were demoralized and hungry So we climbed back up yo the road.Where my man servant prepared my lunch and we planed our new strategy. View attachment 29267 So after our repast it was decided to say goodbye to Pen-y-garreg.

View attachment 29268 We dropped down to Garreg Ddu for the late afternoon early evening session with much the same results. I did manage to temped 2 small Trout up to a foam beetle. Then just before 19:00 my mate rose and caught his one and only fish of the day. With that tiny fish landed we called it a day. That's the way it is here I fined it's either famine or feast.Yesterday it was famine next time I'll hope for feast next time

Hi Bob,

At least you didn't blank - Reservoirs and tarns in particular, can be very difficult at this time of year.

I take my hat off to you 0600 - 2200 - Three hours is nearing my maximum these days!

Douglas

Mrtrout

Ventured out this afternoon to a local tributary of the Eden, I had a new 6.6ft cane rod I wanted to christen, kindly made for me by my good and generous friend Rod Dibble.
Its a sweet little rod very fine craftsmanship as always from Rod.
i managed eight the best one was 3/4lb, which is above average in this little stream, but I put him back and forgot to take a picture first.
This rod is like a horseshoe with a fish that size on.
The cork on this rod is spelted cork, it doesn’t need any filler at all, and it looks so nice, Thanks Rod. (y)
F38B88F8-A0EE-497E-BC25-2BE7FDBF42E2.jpeg6749FAB5-3036-4716-A659-1F627A559391.jpeg

eddleston123

Well done, some nice fish there.

I have never fished with a rod as small as that, I'm used to fishing with 9' 5# on the streams that I fish, mainly due to the incessant winds up in my neck of the woods. Probably well over gunned!!

I bought a new rod a few months ago. Love the rod, but after fishing with it for the last couple of months, the 'new - smooth' handle changed to one full of crevice's once all the filler had washed out.
Not a major problem, but cannot remember this happening with any of my rods fifty years ago!

Douglas

Mrtrout

Cork of any quality is hard to find lately so when I was offered the choice of this spaltered cork I went for it, it’s superb.
S.

eddleston123

Difficult day at the reservoir. Fished some 4 hours - a couple of small trout. I didn't blank anyway.

I went earlier this morning, but things were stone dead, no rises. Suppose it is the start of August today. The other excuse is that it was really hot yesterday, and that's put them down!

I saw another couple of anglers up at the dam, but don't know how they faired. The fish I caught were the two different colouration strains which inhabit Talla

Douglas

A nice spot to have some lunch - Among the Hare Bells.

Last edited:

Scotty Mitchell

Quiet day on the river for me. Coloured and a touch high with a persistently annoying downstream wind!
I gave it an hour fishing very heavy nymphs practically under the rod tip until I got a decent trout to the net. He was extremely welcome and I sacked it as he was swimming away!
Should have went with my initial plan to fish Turret!!!! 😁

bibio1st

Sean, that looks a bit like the small stream I fished today,

Trout only stretch and it seemed to go as the other night losing fish, lost the first five, not just on offs as I had most of them on a while, the first fish I landed or should I say handed came from the fast water at the top of a run,
07A968C3-879E-4ED7-B871-B792739DFA4D.jpeg
it had snagged me in the white water in the picture, I had to lie on the rock at the right and get my arm in the water, it was wrapped round a sunken branch, I managed to free it and bank it, was going to photo it but tuck a tumble and it escaped 🙄, a couple more lost before getting my second, only a small one but welcome
4B72F3FB-1B44-4993-8B38-D468A121F845.jpeg

That’s how it continued, eventually landed 6 but lost a dozen or so including something big that snapped me, hopefully a brown and not an escapee rainbow, I’d managed to steer it clear of a snag but the it went downstream and my rod was too high and got caught in the overhanging tree🙄

Steve

Bazungu

Some of these small streams seem to hold relatively big fish! Really nice fish everyone, love to see the variety of colours and shapes these brownies come in, some of them almost look like they are completely different species.

Last week I was able to catch a small brown trout on my local stream using a spider, caught on the swing. This really boosted my confidence so yesterday I drove down to the Tweed as the weather was ideal (not too much wind, cloudy) and was hoping this spell of hot weather would have a positive effect on insect life. Decided on fishing 3 flies: snipe&purple, partridge&orange and an ant imitation with some hackle. Fishing down and across, I quickly had some succes catching lots of tiny brownies and parr, mainly when the flies swing into the bank. Missed a lot of fish as well, perhaps even more than I was able to hook. It is such a relaxing way of fishing, I really love it and the strikes really come out of nowhere and you need to hold on to your rod tightly even for tiny fish. Cannot wait to hook a proper trout using this method. As lots of sedges were hatching, I decided to put on a greenwell glory on the top dropper in the hope of catching some bigger fish. Sadly, no bigger fish took my flies but I ended up with a ton of small brownies and parr. A very enjoyable evening nonetheless which made me consider extending my season ticket for next year, as this style of fishing is just not possible on smaller rivers.

Is there anything you can do to avoid catching a ton of parr? Is it only stupid/small fish that take flies on the swing since it is an unnatural movement? Would it be worth trying to fish some smaller streamers to avoid small fish taking it? Or is it just typical to mid-summer that there are a ton of small fish and the bigger ones(and with big I mean bigger than my hand) become rare?