''Wild Trout & Grayling Fishing 2020''

Oldbones

I fish a river, that used to be stocked, but after the stocking was done guys from the nearby towns would come and plunder the river and take all the fish they could, or so I have been told.
It is no longer stocked and hasn't been for quite a few years now they say.
So with this information I am assuming that the trout I do catch are actually wild trout.
Many of the trout I do catch are small, 4''/5'' and some times less that that. But now and again I do get a nicer fish.
I do pride my self in my fly fishing abilities as well as fly tying, as I use only flies I have tied myself.
A few pics to enjoy.
Trout 4.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG
trout 2.3.JPG

bibio1st

Went out yesterday late afternoon, intending to fish through the evening. Caught a few small trout and then when roll casting - bang, the third section of my Hardy Zephrus snapped. Gutted, only bought it in February. The only rod I had with me so went home. :(
Good luck getting a replacement section, only had that happen once and not a good feeling, second section up from the but, Snowbee were good though.

Steve

mrnotherone

Good luck getting a replacement section, only had that happen once and not a good feeling, second section up from the but, Snowbee were good though.

Steve
Yes Steve, I'm hoping Hardy will be straightforward about it. Happened a few years ago with a Grey's rod I had and that was no problem.
Jon.

BobP

And the lesson is......always have a spare rod in the car just in case. Happened to me on the Itchen at mayfly time a few years ago. A birthday present from the memsahib. Broke the top section on a 9' #5 but had a replacement in the car which saved the day.

mebu

Out today on a long, gravelly rippley stretch that looks perfect for browns and grayling. Started with a team of 3 spiders, as thought they should work and also I wanted to try out new Maxcatch Single handed Spey line. Wasn't able to get a proper view as the downstream wind made casting across very difficult, so had to cast down at 45 degrees and drift down. Did consider that the head length of the profile may be a bit long as normally only putting 20-25ft or so out. Will try again in better conditions. Catching and swirling lots of parr: decided to go down a little, so put bead on point and first cast took a good sized grayling - on the top dropper fly which hadn't worked before.
Too windy for upstream dries, spent the last 2 hours with downstream dries, beginning with a nice little sedgy pattern a friendly regular gave me. Again a lot of takes and swirls from parr, with a few good grayling. No browns again.

Worst bit of the day was WBS - Wet Bum Syndrome as the leaking waders I mended in the week today leaked more than ever, totally soggy legs and feet. Good job I had dry jeans in the car.
Need to research some reliable waders.

Scotty Mitchell

Sean, that looks a bit like the small stream I fished today,

Trout only stretch and it seemed to go as the other night losing fish, lost the first five, not just on offs as I had most of them on a while, the first fish I landed or should I say handed came from the fast water at the top of a run,
View attachment 29384
it had snagged me in the white water in the picture, I had to lie on the rock at the right and get my arm in the water, it was wrapped round a sunken branch, I managed to free it and bank it, was going to photo it but tuck a tumble and it escaped 🙄, a couple more lost before getting my second, only a small one but welcome
View attachment 29385

That’s how it continued, eventually landed 6 but lost a dozen or so including something big that snapped me, hopefully a brown and not an escapee rainbow, I’d managed to steer it clear of a snag but the it went downstream and my rod was too high and got caught in the overhanging tree🙄

Steve
I've had runs of losing fish like that myself Steve. It's frustrating but it'll pass 😁.
Out today on a long, gravelly rippley stretch that looks perfect for browns and grayling. Started with a team of 3 spiders, as thought they should work and also I wanted to try out new Maxcatch Single handed Spey line. Wasn't able to get a proper view as the downstream wind made casting across very difficult, so had to cast down at 45 degrees and drift down. Did consider that the head length of the profile may be a bit long as normally only putting 20-25ft or so out. Will try again in better conditions. Catching and swirling lots of parr: decided to go down a little, so put bead on point and first cast took a good sized grayling - on the top dropper fly which hadn't worked before.
Too windy for upstream dries, spent the last 2 hours with downstream dries, beginning with a nice little sedgy pattern a friendly regular gave me. Again a lot of takes and swirls from parr, with a few good grayling. No browns again.

Worst bit of the day was WBS - Wet Bum Syndrome as the leaking waders I mended in the week today leaked more than ever, totally soggy legs and feet. Good job I had dry jeans in the car.
Need to research some reliable waders.
Let us know when you find them 👍

bibio1st

I wear a cheap pair of waterproof pants under my waders in case of leaks, cuts down on the damp patches.
I was fortunate enough to get a pair of Simms g3 virtually new for reasonable money a couple of years ago, so far they have been a good purchase, the odd pin hole which have been fixed.

Steve

Oldbones

Leaking waders, yip been there and done that.
I have had Orvis waders that leaked not long after I got them not happy at all with them. I had Scierra boot foot waders that lasted for ages about five seasons. I tried repairing but eventually had to give in.
With the boot foot waders I also had to do the carpet trick on the soles, which actually worked great.
Right now I have Scierra neoprene tundra's, which were a gift. Had these for three seasons. Did they leak, yes but it was my fault, easy to repair yes simple. Are they hot, can be, but take my time and its fine, never cold while in the water.
All I do is wear pajama bottoms underneath. I also check for wear and tear, and attend to any thing I see. I think they are great. And on really hot days I don't usually fish anyway.

jaybeegee

My first outing today after a highly successful cardioversion last week, I’m amazed at how much better I feel. Anyway, went exploring the Nidd above Ramsgill, it’s Leeds ASA water and described in the Yearbook as a trout and coarse fishery, it’s just delightful, not much more than a large beck really, tree lined with a good mix of pocket water, riffle and slow pools. I fished up about 400 yards with my seven and a half footer, using a four foot furlie ( Mr T’s ) and a black bodied Klink. There was the odd rise but I was prospecting in likely spots as I moved upstream and had one lovely ten ounce fish. I’ll be back, there’s more than another mile of river to explore!

B

47D3BF5E-24D7-45BF-9D1F-26569947A54A.jpeg

bibio1st

Took a chance on one of my local rivers this evening, had been on the rise this morning with the overnight rain but thought it had some colour and foam coming down there were odd fish topping in the first shallow pool, like the post above I started on a klink and eventually had a small trout, went to revive the fly only to find an empty bottle with the top off 🙄, gave it another 30 mins on the klink before switching to nymphs a small trout out of dome pocket water before getting to some pacy deepish water, a couple of heavier nymphs resulted in getting a few reasonably trout, lost a decent grayling also, one of the better trout.

A9848F8D-9C25-4B58-A186-4A4F36C3404C.jpeg

Steve

eddleston123

The river was high today - got quite a surprise when I arrived at the banks.

I fished up the margins for a bit with a rather large cdc sedge - nil - I then fished the remainder of the day with a weighted ptn nymph. NIL - BLANK -

However, I did hook a good trout which came off after 10 seconds or so. I know it was a good trout cause it leapt once in its bid for freedom.

Anyway, today the trout won. I'll be back.

Now, were did I put these streamers!!

Douglas

jaybeegee

The river was high today - got quite a surprise when I arrived at the banks.

I fished up the margins for a bit with a rather large cdc sedge - nil - I then fished the remainder of the day with a weighted ptn nymph. NIL - BLANK -

However, I did hook a good trout which came off after 10 seconds or so. I know it was a good trout cause it leapt once in its bid for freedom.

Anyway, today the trout won. I'll be back.

Now, were did I put these streamers!!

Douglas
[/QUOTE

Same here Douglas, more water in the Wharfe than I expected but fishable. Blanked anyway.

B

bibio1st

I was also over Yorkshire way, on the Don, very little water and clear, an hour before I had my first fish, a small trout to a baby pink beaded hares eared nymph, the second a fatter one to the same followed shortly,

03FB5372-10E8-4059-BF6F-B4C15A33C8FB.jpeg

The fish were hard to come by thought most of the trout were decent 10-14inch but managed to pick up a few here and there, a few grayling also,

9D89B1AF-9130-4F45-BD0A-636DDDD2C952.jpeg

nothing like Danny’s numbers but probably ended on about 20 to the net.

Steve

eddleston123

I was also over Yorkshire way, on the Don, very little water and clear, an hour before I had my first fish, a small trout to a baby pink beaded hares eared nymph, the second a fatter one to the same followed shortly,

View attachment 29560

The fish were hard to come by thought most of the trout were decent 10-14inch but managed to pick up a few here and there, a few grayling also,

View attachment 29561

nothing like Danny’s numbers but probably ended on about 20 to the net.

Steve
Hi Steve,

It seems to me that you had a great day.

Some lovely looking fish there.

I had to smile when you mentioned 'Danny's numbers' - now, in no way did I disbelieve him, as there are many on here who have witnessed his level of success. He is obviously a great angler.

However, I always thought that it was amusing when he reported some 30 fish in the morning and 35 in the afternoon, and described it as a 'challenging day'

I trust that he is well and still tormenting the troot on the Don in copious quantities!

Douglas

bibio1st

I have fished with him and he is a fishing machine, he’d catch fish out of water I’d been through and struggled🙄
Not sure why he dropped off the forum, maybe he’ll be back, I’m sure he’s still fishing.

Steve

Latest posts