''Wild Trout & Grayling Fishing 2020''

icaughtafishonce

Finally a good evenings fishing on the Usk for me. Been a bit dispirited recently with fishing recently, a lot of blanks, so switched to hillwalking. The last time I was out fishing was a good fortnight ago, yet I've been up quite a few local hills. Have been out a few times recently to a local estate pool with my (very) young son and wife to catch a few roach and introduce him to fishing. Anyway, I forced myself to go out tonight. Been a bit of rain earlier, but it was still quite muggy when I set out just before 8. Went straight to the bottom of one of the nicer pools. Unlike May, there's no one else out. Where there were 5 or 6 people, there was no one. A few fish rising, so I tied on a white wulff and got cracking.

I must inform the august personages on here, that much like when I tie on a streamer, I flogged the water with my upstream dry fly. Very uncouth. I wasn't even wearing plus fours. Or a deerstalker. My cap is a trucker cap! I'd broadly given up on the very bottom of the pool, as the casts had been horrific, the wading even worse, when my last cast disappeared in a rather nice, very welcome and quite airborne brownie. Got it to hand after a short fight. Well hooked in the scissors. I've blanked for so very long recently. So I was pretty chuffed. Also there's what I reckon was an ok Salmon in the pool, as it was splashing around like a good'un. Either that or it was a massive trout. Maybe I should try and make use of the expensive salmon rod licence I bought this year.

Noticed again that there's lots of small fish in the margins again. I can but assume they're trout/salmon parr?

Jason 70

I've not done one of these for a few weeks, I've left the little urban stream alone as it's getting hammered like never before for all species. Instead, I've been on club coarse tickets catching Chub on hoppers and Perch on Streamers. And I seldom see another angler, I wouldn't say I'm anti-social I just like my own space when fishing. Seeing that it's so hot today I popped out local for a few hours first thing. Started on one stretch and just Dace to drys

Walked further upstream and spent a frustrating time here.

IMG_20200808_064129_2__1596885401_48139.jpg

I had a few more Dace and further downstream a nice Trout rose and took a fly from the top, it rolled as if it had all the time in the world. I thought easy one this. I covered the area with drys, nope. I tried nymphs and nadda. Changed to a heavier tippet and threw a streamer every which way but loose. Apart from a half-hearted tug on the streamer I did not see it again. Lots of insect life coming up, what can you do but get up early again tomorrow and try again I suppose.

Bazungu

Been a while since I've fished the local stretch so went again today at around 7pm till dusk. Started at the 'big' fish pool, while there was a lot of bug life going in I saw no fish rising at all. My confidence in wet flies has been increasing so I started off with an ant imitation on the dropper and a partridge&orange on the point. Fished the whole pool but no succes. I was playing a bit with my line, and letting it drift almost right in front of my feet in a deep part (I was standing on a cliff right next to it). I felt something on the rod but some slack went back on the line, I assumed it was a branch or something. Then when I stripped some more line to recast, I felt something moving again.... fish on! The fish quickly swam to the other side of the river, near some overhanging bushes and did multiple jumps outside of the water. This was a BIG one! While I normally just keep the line in my hand, this time I tried to reel up the remaining line and play it on the reel. Now this rod has just a sliding band and I noticed that with the slightest side pressure on the reel it tends to come lose (Does anyone have a solution for this?). While reeling in the line.... my reel felt right into the deep water. The fish has moved downstream to my side of the bank in the vicinity of 2 underwater tree trunks. The fish made a few more jumps and when trying to net it I fell backwards into the water, luckily right on the edge where the water isn't deep or this could have ended differently. I was really scared I lost this fish but luckily it was still on. It took a few more runs downstream but then I was able to net it.... what a fight! The fish was caught on the same place I caught my previous record, not sure what the length is since I never measure the fish. I don't want to kill the enjoyment by fixating on some number. Beautiful fish and I am a happy man. Sadly I didn't catch it by skill, but by pure luck.... well I'm not complaining.
PR.jpg

Mrtrout

If your reel is constantly coming loose it might pay you to use a wrap of insulation tape to keep it in place, you don’t want to go through that again.
pretty fish.
S.

sculpin_crusader

What an odd evening.

I was given an evening pass which saw me leaving the house at seven. Only fished for a couple of hours and spent the first half an hour chasing some decent sized grayling. I hooked one fairly quickly on a Utah killer bug. It shed the hook before I could get it to hand and then I missed another one, this was sight fishing. A change of fly was needed as the UKB was being ignored and only really out of convenience I chose a size 16 copper tungsten bead head pheasant tail nymph. A few attempts were needed before one finally succumbed and a good fight saw my first fish of the evening in my hand, a quick picture and measure gave me a length of 15”.

While I had been concentrating on those grayling I could hear lots of rising and leaping fish. A short walk upstream to a fresh section and again the rising fish were evident, what surprised me was the cause of all the leaping - mayfly spinners - in August, which of course meant I definitely didn’t have any mayfly patterns. I persevered with a DHE picking off the occasional trout and missing many more before finishing the evening off using a Moser Ballon Caddis with a glow-in-dark spot on the foam thorax before I could see no more. I haven’t a clue on numbers, maybe double figures, perhaps it could have been much more if I’d had a mayfly spinner to try

385F3888-867D-47F5-BB45-67168DF3665A.jpeg

smallmouth

Back on the river, which was very low and very clear. Apart from missing a fish on a small parachute dry first cast, (which wouldn’t rise again), there seemed to be nothing doing. Stoneflies and Duns were coming off, but there were few rises and no interest in anything I presented.

By lunchtime I’d tried my parachute in olive, black and hares ear, a #20 Klink, Snipe & Purple, Waterhen Bloa, and a pretty realistic shrimp in the deeper pools and was expecting a blank.

Having reached the upper limit of the water I knew, I returned to the car for a cup of tea, still thinking a blank was on the cards, and then continued upstream to pastures new.

The first pool held steadily rising trout which refused everything I tried. I was puzzled as some sort of olive seemed to be hatching, but all my reliable dries were failing. Not only that, but I was experiencing the ultimate insult, as trout rose within a few inches of my fly to take something else.....

It was noticeable that most of the frequent risers were under the tree cover, so eventually the penny dropped..........I tied on a #17 (Tiemco 103BL sizing is a bit under), foam and peacock herl beetle.

The first fish I smacked it down in front of accepted it instantly and was a better than usual stamp......6372F10C-7C61-44E9-A462-B9A94B47459E.jpeg

The second was the best I’ve had from this stretch and again accepted the beetle without hesitation......
40CDD2D9-D503-4126-81CC-9E66BCBD6A5A.jpeg
Now I was in business and another 3 or 4 better stamp fish similar to the first, all took the beetle within a couple of feet of it hitting the surface.

Of course, not fishing terrestrials often, (ever??), I’d only tied one beetle like that, so when I inevitably lost it to the far bank tree cover, I called it a day......

Last edited:

heathenwoods

I had a lovely time on Tuesday afternoon when I was given the opportunity to get a taste of some waters I'm on the waiting list for. It was cloudy and a bit blustery but the river was clear and I spent an hour watching my dry fly floating over the heads of utterly indifferent trout. I tried the duo and began taking trout. I had nine, a mix of wild and stocked brownies. No wild rainbows although they are in there. I met the river keeper and another member who'd fished through the section I was fishing and, apparently, had caught a lot. I've since been offered another bite of the cherry to give me a 'better indication' of the river when the fish haven't been hammered. What can I say? I'm impressed by the extent I'm being looked after. I've already paid a deposit so they don't need to convince me; what a great way to look after your prospective members.

A typical fish from the day:
216c.jpg

And then on Thursday night I thought I'd have an hour before the weather became too much for me and the fish. It was a bonny evening but I didn't have a great deal of luck. Fish were rising to my fly rejecting it at the last minute. I went smaller, I went larger and had nothing until a #16 Kite's Imperial convinced a small brownie to take. Nothing else cared for it though! Still, it was a nice evening.
218c.jpg

mebu

maybe 300 yards of thigh deep, gravel bed, even flow water, with lots of fish normally caught. Picture looks wider than actual. And, with an upstream wind for a change. Should have been easy, although not that many fish showing. many plucks and swirls for the spiders, most probably the salmon parr. But no takers. Usual dries didn't do much, but did better on size 20 F Fly, and on small nymphs drifted down and across. Whereas normally plagued by parr, just the one stuck, unusual, but first grayling was parr size, again unusual as normally at least 8" upwards.
Tried out the new Maxcatch Single Handed spey line, 3wt on 10ft rod, mainly roll casting for spider rig. Maybe not the best profile for dries etc but was impressed with the way it shot and lay on the water, good turnover with no memory at all, nice soft feel, really liked it. Wish I hadn't recently bought expensive 5wt for 9ft rod, if the Gold 5wt is anything like that.

PS meant to add: did notice, as on earlier visit to this stretch, that for spiders, upstream and downstream dries, it was apparent that quill bodied flies much more successful than others, including Orange and Partridge. Haven't seen this specific before.

Attachments

Last edited:

mebu

Douglas, yes it is a tricky time of year, nearly been there a few times recently and suppose it will happen soon, but keep the faith, brother, the famine will soon be over and your bag will be full again..

Peter

eddleston123

Douglas, yes it is a tricky time of year, nearly been there a few times recently and suppose it will happen soon, but keep the faith, brother, the famine will soon be over and your bag will be full again..

Peter

Hi Mebu,

Thanks for these words of encouragement.

I acknowledge that this is probably the worst month in the year for trouting.
Especially fishing during the day, but that is the only time that I can go at the moment.

I manage my expectations to the point that I just want to avoid a blank.

I am now re thinking my strategies and have now formed a cunning plan!!

Douglas

wobbly face

Douglas, blanking makes the catching more memorable. (y) ;) 🎣

Was out in the Welsh Dee yesterday having a grayling session (plus some salmon parr).
Tragedy struck at the start as my rod snapped on second section down on the first cast. first time with the rod. Luckily JT loaned me the use of his rod for the morning using dries and Andy for the afternoon session using nymphs. 7 grayling on dries with only 2 parr. More grayling and parr on the nymphs (lost count of exact numbers as I'm getting old) but smaller fish.
Good company as usual and met some locals who joined us for the day and we all caught, learned loads and had a laugh.

Short vid:

eddleston123

Douglas, blanking makes the catching more memorable. (y) ;) 🎣

Was out in the Welsh Dee yesterday having a grayling session (plus some salmon parr).
Tragedy struck at the start as my rod snapped on second section down on the first cast. first time with the rod. Luckily JT loaned me the use of his rod for the morning using dries and Andy for the afternoon session using nymphs. 7 grayling on dries with only 2 parr. More grayling and parr on the nymphs (lost count of exact numbers as I'm getting old) but smaller fish.
Good company as usual and met some locals who joined us for the day and we all caught, learned loads and had a laugh.

Short vid:

Sounds like a good day to me.

Bit of bad luck with your rod. I have been fishing for some 55 years and have only ever had one rod break. Probably shouldn't have said that - tempting fate!!

I, (as part of my new strategy) intend to have a go at the grayling on the upper tweed soon. I'm not the most technical of grayling anglers but have caught some good fish on this stretch.

I enjoyed the short vid.

Douglas

jaybeegee

Went off exploring the upper Nidd again today, starting where I left off last week and working slowly upstream, this time with my 6’6” 2#, a 4 foot furlie and an Adam’s klink. There were occasional rising fish, mostly under tree cover near the bank and I missed a few offers before landing a lovely little brownie. Then disaster! Stalking a better fish I could see clearly midstream and keeping low I flicked a cast and whacked the rod against an overhanging branch. A couple of casts later there was a crack and the rod snapped clean just below the first joint and although I had a back up in the car I called it a day, it was hot and humid and the fish were ultra spooky anyway. Found a shortcut and was home in ninety minutes.
Sitting out in the cool of the evening with a beer now having repaired the break...thanks for the tip easker1, it will do until I can get a replacement section.

B