''Wild Trout & Grayling Fishing 2020''

noddy299

I am playing it steady with my rods. Cant afford a breakage. Got a glass coming in a couple weeks time I will push that maybe but keep the carbons under wraps.

Noddy

wobbly face

Got out today, wasted an hour due to Police Incident on motorway, 24C but only 17C at the river.
Took my nephew with me, his first time ever out fishing. Not good taking a total newby out in low water conditions, heavy footed and clumsy, heavy when casting (only fished duo and no fly line out of the rod) but he did manage after a fashion. River was very quiet apart from kids swimming and messing, dogs swimming and messing. Met oatesj when parking the car so nice to have a catch up. Later 2 other chaps appeared but went down river to where I didn't fish. There was signs of someone having fished at sometime (day before!). Seeing how quiet things were perhaps I should have gone double nymph but will have made things more tricky for my nephew. Anyway, he managed 2 browns so was well made up, I had 3 grayling and 5 browns.
Stephen Brown.jpg

eddleston123

Had a short session this evening (2 hours) - It was cloudy to the extend that it was almost dark around 8pm. River a good height, but absolutely zilch fly life, (other than midges) which was a bit disappointing.

Got off to a bad start - about my 3 cast, I hooked and played a thumper, before it detached itself. Also rose quite a few fish - they simply weren't taking the fly property. Back to striking into fresh air. Tried several different sizes of fly.

I ended up with 3 modest sized fish (that means small) - But I was ecstatic at that, considering I had blanked on my last two visits!! It was a pleasant couple of hours aided by an upstream wind which made me look like a semi decent caster!

Douglasimage posting

Last edited:

eddleston123

Went fishing today up the wee Lyne water - a tributary of the upper tweed - This is a delightful water to fish with lots of twists turns and variation.

It is what I class as a 'small trout' water, were the average brownie sits around 7'' - Today, I got well into double figures, the vast majority being small, but with a few around 9'' - 10'' - and a thumper at just over 12''. This was a result for this small stream.

Some of the fish were so fat that they looked like they were bursting at the seams! I only hooked a small percentage of the rises (usual at this time of year) After quite a bit of experimentation it became clear that an emerger type fly was the most successful at getting a hook hold.

It was a really enjoyable day.

Douglas

Best of the day, a thumper for this wee stream - Fat as butter!picture uploader

Most - big and small taken on a small emerger

4 fish taken from this tasty wee pool!

Just how fat can a 10'' trout get!!

Banks now covered in woundwort

Today conditions were good - partial cloud cover, upstream wind, and the water was at a good level. Normally you'd struggle at this time of year on this stream.

Last edited:

eddleston123

Another lovely looking stream Douglas. You are lucky to have so many nice streams and burns to go at. I envy you

The thing is Bob - Nobody ever seems to fish them - The places that I fish are a good walk from the main thoroughfare, maybe that puts people off.

I am pretty continually telling other anglers were I fish and were I catch fish, I am very free with my information, but I just feel that unless it is put on a plate for some people, they just won't bother.

I suppose the other aspect is, that some of the places I fish are just dam outright difficult!!
ie - A day of clambering up and down banks, negotiating Stoney difficult wading, surrounded by vegetation,, being prepared to take the odd tumble etc.

I see plenty anglers fishing the upper tweed - not far from their cars - nice easy wading, little vegetation to catch their flies etc, they don't catch a lot. If they just took that little bit extra effort to take a forty minute walk, they would be in virgin territory, in beautiful surroundings and have a far greater chance of catching a fish.

Yes, you are entirely correct I do feel incredibly lucky to fish all these burns, streams, river, as in the main, I have them all to myself!

Tomorrow, I have in mind to fish a stretch of river, which is a fairly arduous and difficult trek, (especially with waders on) - I would bet my house that the troots in this stretch haven't seen another anglers flies in many years.

How long I will be able to do this, I don't know, but I am making the most of it whilst I can!

A.T.B.

Douglas

Last edited:

Mrtrout

Had a few hours this morning introducing an Appleby member to the new private stream I acquired for the club last year.
It looks so different in summer the vegetation has shot up making casting very tricky but sharpens you up.
We spotted some excellent fish and my friend agreed that the big boy I had previously spotted was a 4lber.
several more fish around two to three pounds also spotted as we sat on the bank watching them cruise past us.
A kingfisher made his appearance three times and in the bright sunshine he just lit up with those wonderful turquoise feathers.
I was eager for my friend to fish the likely spots and he soon adapted his technique to get a decent line out, he was on the duo and I stuck with the dry.
I was very pleased to make contact with one of the smaller residents who took my Para Adams confidently, he put up a fight which surprised me for his size trying to take me under a sandstone shelf.
An hour or so Later Roger had a slightply better fish on his nymph, his first in the stream always a nice feeling to break your duck as we say.
Beautiful day always is on there and great company.
S.
Rogers first Wildies on the stream.
291B713A-F2BF-4E0D-8C4A-2E44338C5EC6.jpeg

Rhithrogena

I had a hour or two flicking a fly about on the 'pond' a 5 minute walk away - an old flooded mine working, fed by a stream, that has fish in it.
I had bought a very cheap Goture Breeze 360 'Tenkaralike' pole and had huge fun with my first attempts at fixed-line fly fishing. The pole was a tenner, delivered, and I set up with a rod length (~ 12ft) of bright orange 20lb nylon, 2ft of 10lb, 2ft of 6lb, tippet ring, 7x fluoro tippet with an #16 cdc/elk and a #18 Cahill nymph NZ style.
What a revelation! I have been used to the delicate presentation possible with 'mono rig' set-ups with no flyline, but this was next level. Casting took a few attempts to get the short, slow, stroke right but I was soon sending the flies out under the bush where fish were rising.
I soon had this little spottie on the dry...IMG_20200814_155025297_HDR-01-01.jpeg
The presentations possible with the ultra-delicate tip were great; by vibrating the tip gently it was possible to get the fly to send out realistic rings like a struggling/hatching natural. I missed way more takes than I hooked and learnt a huge amount in such a short session.
By slowly raising the rod with a tip-trembling action, a great action on the nymph was possible.
Roach.IMG_20200701_212248670~2-01.jpeg
To the river, next, with my new toy.

FOOTNOTE: can add another broken rod to the tally - brand new Aleka 9' 4wt - 4pce. Snapped just below top joint casting on grass. Had a full 30 yd double taper 4 out until the backing was in the rings (with a shoot obvs....NOT aerialising the whole thing 😳). Stiff for a 4wt so thought I could push it, and it was excellent for a while until....crack.
Aleka sent a new section straight away. I will try a DT3 this time 🙄)

Rich

Bazungu

Seems this week was a productive week for everyone, lots of fish and some biggies as well!

The weather was nice, so I decided to head to the Tweed yesterday evening. As last time I was catching a lot of parr swinging wet flies, I reasoned the Parr is mainly in the top water layer and I need to get deeper for the big trout. Went to the same stretch again but now with my euronymph set up. I caught even more parr than before, basically every cast my nymphs would get attacked by the parr, very frustrating for strike detection. Eventually a proper fish was on the line, but got off.... all I saw was a silver flash.

A bit later, finally another decent hook up and till my now my biggest Tweed trout. This is a different animal from the trout of my local stretch, they look like mean fighting machines here, not soft and fat as my local urban trout.
Very happy with this fish!

I did realise I really do not like fishing euronymph style, it is very repetitive and frankly a bit boring to me. Its fun for now and then but would not be able to do it every single time I go fishing.
Treed_trout.jpg

On my way back to Edinburgh I almost hit with my car: 2 rabbits, 1 sheep, 1 badger, 1 fox and actually hit 1 bat which flew into my front window. Quite the drive!

eddleston123

Seems this week was a productive week for everyone, lots of fish and some biggies as well!

The weather was nice, so I decided to head to the Tweed yesterday evening. As last time I was catching a lot of parr swinging wet flies, I reasoned the Parr is mainly in the top water layer and I need to get deeper for the big trout. Went to the same stretch again but now with my euronymph set up. I caught even more parr than before, basically every cast my nymphs would get attacked by the parr, very frustrating for strike detection. Eventually a proper fish was on the line, but got off.... all I saw was a silver flash.

A bit later, finally another decent hook up and till my now my biggest Tweed trout. This is a different animal from the trout of my local stretch, they look like mean fighting machines here, not soft and fat as my local urban trout.
Very happy with this fish!

I did realise I really do not like fishing euronymph style, it is very repetitive and frankly a bit boring to me. Its fun for now and then but would not be able to do it every single time I go fishing.
View attachment 29837

On my way back to Edinburgh I almost hit with my car: 2 rabbits, 1 sheep, 1 badger, 1 fox and actually hit 1 bat which flew into my front window. Quite the drive!
Hi Bazungu,

That's a nice fish, well done.

That Edinburgh road can be a bit hazardous at times (including deer)

I had the front of my car re arranged by a badger a couple of years ago!

Douglas

simonhad

Had a tough few hours on a tiny beck yesterday where the fish are small and very nervous. Tried a french leader set up on a 7ft rod but had to get too close to them and they fled. Eventually managed a grand total of three on a foam-winged emerger. Some more pics here if anyone is interested:

thorntonfish2_14aug20.jpg

bibio1st

Had a good afternoon on my mixed river, didn’t start until about 1.30 but had a couple of small trout and a slightly bigger grayling from the first run though I saw something quite big swim down passed me, a reasonable trout from the next run,B1540BDE-93E5-4389-91C1-DCECF6AD6A69.jpeg
The next run only produced one fish but a very good grayling 0E55FBA2-D70C-4ED7-BC17-18445738B397.jpeg
A few more grayling followed if a more average size before getting another trout, another good grayling,
11823718-2D07-4526-99B0-FF449B7789F3.jpeg
I did have another further upstream but it got camera shy, after that it was mainly trout and ended with about a dozen of each to ptn’s and hares eared nymphs, a better afternoon than I expected.CE6E1E2E-3BCA-44F4-B148-1B30A5D18A07.jpeg

Steve

sculpin_crusader

I’m off up North, stopped off on my club river but fishing the urban stretch for an hour on route to meeting up with my fishing partner for the day. Used my new tenkara rod for the first time, this also being the first time I have fished tenkara too and managed five trout and a grayling in that time on a Utah killer bug. River conditions weren’t great, the river was a little filthy as it had recently rained although the river cleared quite a bit by the time I left. Took a couple of pictures; the first and biggest, the grayling was a decent size too but was camera shy. Not bad for a short stop-off on the way to the main fishing.

39A711F1-7810-498A-B559-17EBC889B31B.jpeg

720FD251-5244-4829-91FD-7733C81E8D9E.jpeg

mrnotherone

With some much needed rain and the temperature down, decided to get out yesterday afternoon. Met a friend on the river and we hit some likely spots. Was tough though with no obvious fish feeding - typical August, but nice to be out after the heatwave.

A handful of trout and grayling to the net with a few more bumped.
IMG_5665.PNGIMG_5668.PNGIMG_5669.PNG

heathenwoods

I was looking forward to a full afternoon and maybe evening on the river yesterday. As it turned out, I had just under two hours (blimey, sunset is getting early again). I started packing just after noon but, despite looking everywhere, couldn't find my river fly box. Was I pissed off? Yes.

So, the afternoon became an emergency tying session. And then I might as well do this and do that. Five o'clock? I'll eat and then go out...

I eventually got to the river and started on a corner that usually comes up trumps but that I've only fished once this year.
228asml.jpg

There was no single hatch but a few things were buzzing around, mostly gnats and fish were rising sporadically. I tried the duo with a small, beaded nymph. No interest. I took the nymph off and went smaller. I'd tied a couple of Griffiths sparkle gnats, and regular ones in #16 and #18. Nothing. I had a couple of klinks I'd found in another box, #14 and #16. Nothing. They fish kept coming up for noseeums. The only other dry fly I had was a couple of #14 bushy hackle and hair sedges.

That did the trick. I only had a handful before the light began to fade but it was good sport whilst it lasted.

228bsml.jpg

Even though I was having trouble seeing even the bushy sedges I wandered to my usual stretch and, having crawled through the gap in the trees and vegetation that leads to the river, found my fly box that must have lain there since my last outing. By this point the only things interested in my fly were bats so I headed back to the car in a much better mood than when I arrived.