''Wild Trout & Grayling Fishing 2020''

smallmouth

Were you not using any indicator at all?
No, other than the greased leader butt/fly line tip. But this can be quite cramped, close quarters fishing and my reasoning was I used to fish shrimp/czech patterns for winter grayling watching the line tip in the past. However thinking about it, the flies were bigger/heavier then, so contact was probably more direct. And these fish are definitely better educated.

I tied plenty of different, mostly #18 or #20 beaded flies, some black nickel, silver, gold, purple, pink etc, during lockdown. Hopefully, as Mrtrout says, they'll work better in winter conditions.

Jason 70

That's a nice looking river. Where in the SE is it?

It's the Wandle mate, no great secret really. I was down for three hours earlier today, but it was busy with guys float fishing etc. So I sodded of upstream out of the way where you can only access the water by wading. No Trout today, very overgrown so bow and arrow casting was the order of the day, just small Chub and Dace on a small foam Beatle, still enjoyable though.

The best part of the day, I arrive home and my wife had found my wedding ring that I lost back in March. It had somehow ended up behind the chest of draws, christ knows how it got there?

smallmouth

small Chub and Dace on a small foam Beatle, still enjoyable though.
Very enjoyable.

I once found my wife's lost engagement ring when we moved house, in a tin of pastry cutters.............it's lost again now though!

thetrouttickler

It's the Wandle mate, no great secret really. I was down for three hours earlier today, but it was busy with guys float fishing etc. So I sodded of upstream out of the way where you can only access the water by wading. No Trout today, very overgrown so bow and arrow casting was the order of the day, just small Chub and Dace on a small foam Beatle, still enjoyable though.
Ah yes, that one ;)

benisa

I popped out for a few hours local earlier as I've got a few days away from work this week. And fished a stretch I've been ignoring over the summer as it's very busy with anglers after the Barbel and as such, I've been fishing for Perch most of the time on club tickets.

I started off with the dry but to no avail. And weakness soon overcame me, I tied on a streamer. I looked up tho the clouds and said ' Forgive me, Lord, for what I'm about to do'. Just to make me feel a little less like a heathen.

I managed two Browns of about a pound apiece and a Chub. Can any of you guys recommend how to take photos with wet hands? I whip my phone out to take a net shot while wading, but can't even tap in a pin number to turn the thing back on. So back they go.

The only other angler today was Mr Heron.

I also tied on a Squirmy and tried for the old boy below. He has been about years and has seen it all. He did have a little look as it plopped down but did not commit. It beats being at work hands down.

View attachment 30536

View attachment 30537
Would that be the Koi carp that just goes up and down in the second picture
looks like ravensbury park ?

Jason 70

Would that be the Koi carp that just goes up and down in the second picture
looks like ravensbury park ?
Bensia,

No, it's not. I have never fished in the park, walked it with the wife as we live close. But no, I'll have one last go in the morning and that's it for me until the winter when I will try for a nice Roach on the fly. But my thoughts are now firmly turning to Pike on the fly on my club tickets. It's a lovely little river, but way to busy for me during the warmer coarse angling months.

Last edited:

icaughtafishonce

Had a two hour session fishing for grayling this morning. Caught nowt, zilch, zero, blankety blank.

There is always tomorrow!

Douglas
A whole morning in a local stocked pond. I also blanked. Hope you have a better session tomorrow as well. I've got a day on a boat booked at Llandegfedd.

eddleston123

A whole morning in a local stocked pond. I also blanked. Hope you have a better session tomorrow as well. I've got a day on a boat booked at Llandegfedd.

Heavy rain is forecast up my way tomorrow accompanied by 22mph downstream winds.

Might give it a miss and conserve my energy for next week.

I wish you all the best for tomorrow.

Douglas

bobnudd

Well I've managed to get out this week for the first time in a good while. Went on Monday to the Clun, the river was up a little but running clear. I started with dry fly but after an hour or so I hadn't seen or rose a fish. so on went the nymph with an instant result I snagged the bottom.I managed to free it with the tip of my rod and carried on up the river. eventually I was rewarded with a small Grayling from a deep run on a bend. In the past I have had a few fish at a time from this run but to day just one. That's the way it went for the rest of the day one fish per pool 7 in total, all Grayling no monsters. The last catch of the day was a pearl mussel which seemed reluctant to let go of the nymph. But I got it and returned it to the river.( no I didn't open it to look for a pearl). 20200909_121727.jpg Wednesday I went on the lugg the condition were similar to the Clun on Monday. So started with the nymph and got a small Trout after few casts. Worked my way up the river getting lots of pulls mainly from small Grayling I suspect. By around 14:30 I had landed 5 small Trout and one slightly bigger Grayling. Then as I got into the woods there were fish rising. So on went the trusty old stimulator and 3 more small Trout to the net plus a couple missed. After about 3/4 hour they stopped rising so back on with nymph. Only got one fish after that a Grayling from the weir. where I watched a signal crayfish trying to crawl out up the weir. He didn't make it was swept off down stream.20200909_113404 (2).jpg

Prolifichare

Funny old day today, my friend drove me up into the Mosedale valley near Mungrisdale, it was dry and settled when we left home, but when we got out of the car it was blowing a hooley.
Id taken my new Maxcatch Extreme to try it out, and the tip broke in half before I’d even cast it?
luckily I’d taken my Tenkara rod as well, but it was so windy it was hopeless. It’s a beautiful place, stunning little river, but after half an hour we realised we were wasting our time, on the way back to the car we came across rubbish strewn everywhere from tourists, it beggars belief how they can do this, fires had been lit in several places and old chairs bottles tins plastic tent pegs, you name it.
So we picked it all up and took it home.
My friend is a keen swimmer of Lakeland tarns and rivers, and as there’s a big deep pool there he decided to go for a swim!!!
I doubt his sanity at times, but he stripped off down to his boxer shorts and jumped in?!?
We came home and decided to have a few hours on the local river, he lost a very nice fish about 2lbs at the net then caught a smaller one in the same pool.
i hooked three and lost two of them, only small but very pretty fish.
I spent more time stuck in trees than on the water today, but all good fun.
Good day Steven. We'll definitely give that river another shot in the spring. Damn annoying about that rod but hopefully they'll get a replacement sorted ASAP.
My last day of the trout season. It would have been nice to land that fish, note to self, keep them away from the bank. One blade of grass and it was off!
As for the madness of swimming, you're probably right but it is very good. Cheers for the pictures of the Duddon too, I'm pretty sure that bridge is on my list but I haven't visited yet, it looks perfect.

tierradelfuego

Back from Devon and had my day yesterday on the Heddon. Another lovely day on a wonderful little river, and as per last year, which was my first venture there, it's a tough day's fishing but the trout god rewarded me with 15 beautiful brownies from a 3 hour session.

The 1st pic shows the river down by the beach (the sea is about 50 metres behind you here), quite open and easy going, with some nice pools. The fish here are very spooky given there is little cover.

P1000284 (Copy).JPG

This quickly changes into a very tricky section with very deep pools, and rapid water, so it's a case of clambering round or getting out and round on a few occasions.

P1000285 (Copy).JPG

and the first few trout start to show themselves.

P1000286 (Copy).JPG

The river then mellows a bit, with some lovely glides, riffles and pools

P1000287 (Copy).JPG

P1000288 (Copy).JPG

P1000289 (Copy).JPG

The pools of course hold most of the fish, it's pretty tight casting, some bow and arrow or roll casts required. The Dipper is also a good mate to have as you stumble your way up, slipping and holding onto the bankside trees on the tougher parts.

P1000290 (Copy).JPG

...and one final fish to finish the session. For £12 a day, you can't really go wrong, had a well-deserved ice cream to replenish the body that was a little battered and bruised. Love it!!

P1000291 (Copy).JPG

Attachments

mrnotherone

Back from Devon and had my day yesterday on the Heddon. Another lovely day on a wonderful little river, and as per last year, which was my first venture there, it's a tough day's fishing but the trout god rewarded me with 15 beautiful brownies from a 3 hour session.
Great pictures, that stream look right up my street and day tickets too! I think I'll check it out.
Jon.

Mrtrout

Very nice fish, some weed in there, didn’t you find yourself catching it all the time?
S.