''Wild Trout & Grayling Fishing 2020''

thetrouttickler

Very nice fish, some weed in there, didn’t you find yourself catching it all the time?
S.
Thanks. Weed can be very annoying, especially when you hook a fish and it dives straight into them, and then you get big clumps of weed wrapped around the tippet. I tend to fish around the weed if I can or use unweighted nymphs. Today I just searched out and fished any water of depth.

Saw several kingfishers too, that was nice!

JohnH

I fished the River Allen in Dorset today.

This is the first trout I have ever caught in Dorset, and it was the best of the day too. It took a self tied olive and pink blend shrimp.

Fun day, exploring a new stream.
Here's to many more, TTT. I had some good days on the Piddle (particularly) and the Frome between about 2003 and 2012 and a buddy is doing very well on the Frome this year. On the subject of weed on the tippet, I find this can sometimes work to the anglers advantage. If the weed gets over the fish's eyes, it's often game over as it will then come easily to the net.

bibio1st

A couple of sessions this week, Wednesday evening after work, possibly one of the last as the evenings are drawing in now, river was high and clear, nothing from the first two pools but started to get fish down the edges in the slower water, only small ones but had 15 trout before it got too dark,
376048E3-2B99-4A7F-A8F5-507180228973.jpeg

This afternoon on a different river, higher than I normally fish it and clear, lost a trout first cast, lost 3 more fish before landing my first🙄
4970057E-3CD7-4838-A382-8EB440B85B02.jpeg
Getting some decent grayling and plump trout on hares ear nymphs,
BDDDF912-7CEB-4C94-9F02-3205FE9D48AD.jpeg
Not sure of figures but plenty of action, encouraging for the future catching a few fingerling grayling and very small trout also.

Steve

eddleston123

A couple of sessions this week, Wednesday evening after work, possibly one of the last as the evenings are drawing in now, river was high and clear, nothing from the first two pools but started to get fish down the edges in the slower water, only small ones but had 15 trout before it got too dark,
View attachment 30675

This afternoon on a different river, higher than I normally fish it and clear, lost a trout first cast, lost 3 more fish before landing my first🙄
View attachment 30676
Getting some decent grayling and plump trout on hares ear nymphs,
View attachment 30677
Not sure of figures but plenty of action, encouraging for the future catching a few fingerling grayling and very small trout also.

Steve
That's a lovely looking grayling - the last trout is a Fattie!

Sounds like a good day to me.

Well done.

Douglas

mebu

Out today on a beat I haven't been to for quite a while. Driving down, a lot of insects on the windscreen, thought this a good sign. However a strong downstream wind and bright sunshine did not make for good conditions. Started with a team of spiders, on a 2ft deep run, some plucks and pulls but only very small grayling.
With a brief non-productive stop at another stretch, had a good walk upstream to where I feel confident. Spiders no use in a waist deep water, so on with the beaded nymphs. Quiet for while, then a real lunker, best I have had for a while, wish I had photographed it (which I rarely do), did notice it seemed very solid and strong when squirming in the net, which it filled. Then, a load of canoes came down, but did have the courtesy of going down the far bank and minimal paddling.
Time to go back downstream towards the car, stopped at a nice pool, just sorting rig out and a few casts when a couple of salmon anglers came along, so gave them the water. Time for a drive home and a quick rehydration in the local.

corto maltese

I couldn't resist, I went back last Friday night, fished from seven in the morning to seven at night, believe me or not, 54 fish missed on the dry, damn they are fast and sixteen in the back of the net, what fun 😁
Overnight savage camping in the back of the truck and a lot less frenetic on Sunday, Six missed and six in the hand, a better result considering how shattered I was after the previous day.
I can officially announce that I have fallen in love with a stream two and a half hours away from me and look forward to next season's romance as alas, this year is over but, she has seduced me, I'll be back for more 😆
Again, no pics of fish, far to busy but after a brief pause, a photo of a pool, I missed five, none to the the net but one was a serious lump !

Attachments

benisa

I couldn't resist, I went back last Friday night, fished from seven in the morning to seven at night, believe me or not, 54 fish missed on the dry, damn they are fast and sixteen in the back of the net, what fun 😁
Overnight savage camping in the back of the truck and a lot less frenetic on Sunday, Six missed and six in the hand, a better result considering how shattered I was after the previous day.
I can officially announce that I have fallen in love with a stream two and a half hours away from me and look forward to next season's romance as alas, this year is over but, she has seduced me, I'll be back for more 😆
Again, no pics of fish, far to busy but after a brief pause, a photo of a pool, I missed five, none to the the net but one was a serious lump !
looks great + colour of the water

maybe a trip for next year all being well

eddleston123

Today, I fished for some three hours and blanked yet again.

Certainly not for lack of trying - Dry Fly - Nymph - Fished all the 'banker pools' - Not that I banked anything today.

It almost seems like autumn has arrived early up my way.

However, as I have said before - Tomorrow is another day - I have a cunning plan!!

Douglas

eddleston123

Decided to fish the Lyne water today (tributary of the Tweed) This is a small trout water were you can usually catch something - I thought a few small trout would boost my flagging confidence!

It was tougher than I expected - 5 hard fought for fish - all predictably small. Having said that It was good to catch again. I fished dry fly from the off. Had plenty offers, but very few hook ups.

An enjoyable day.

I've another couple of venues to visit before end of season which is rapidly drawing to a close. It would be nice to end the season with a couple of biggies!

Douglas

All fish on a parachute adams today[url=https://postimg.cc/HrmfLQ1P][/URL]

Many clumps of perrenial aster adorning the river bank. Unfortunately, they are beginning to go over, Perhaps another couple of weeks.

Last edited:

bobnudd

Well Douglas it seems like high summer has returned down here but the fishing is as tough has yours. I went out yesterday on what looked like perfect conditions, but as usual no one had told the fish. I fished for about 5 hrs for 5 small Grayling one small Trout and what I think was a Salmon parr. Very silvery with distinctive parr marks and the head and mouth didn't look right for a Trout. It must have taken a wrong turn going down the Teme to the sea .I did manage to take one on a dry fly one of the Grayling. I saw him rise but couldn't see what he was taking. So I tried first with a small black klinkhammer up he came slowly from the depths, but no didn't fancy it. so next on went the Iron blue dun and he thumbed his nose at that. Then looking through my flies I found some tiny Griffith's Gnat size 20 that my mate had made for me. After faffing about put a few inch's of small diameter tip on so I could thread it through the eye. cast out and the fussy little bug@+r still turned his nose up at it. Well if all else fails put on a big hairy Stimulator. That did the trick he came up like a rocket and was on. 2000_0304_171458_002.JPG Not big but a very satisfying

eddleston123

Well done Bob. It's good when a plan comes together.

I am a great believer in trying big flies over a difficult fish. I think that it must 'shock' them into taking.
Doesn't sound very tactical, but when all else fails, it is a good back up.

Douglas

Mrtrout

It’s been a truly lovely day here, after lunch I just had to get out in the fresh air so went on an Appleby middle beat.
not long after I set up I noticed a good few grayling sipping something I couldn’t see, so I put on a small white Para type fly.
i got a rise immediately but no connection? I had three more takes but just couldn’t connect with them, I decided to count to two after the rise and sure enough next cast I had a lovely fit grayling about a pound.
Two more misses and I got another half pounder, they fought like troopers.
10FF92AF-30C2-4148-9370-FA867AEB9D68.jpeg

C60F1708-2370-4A9B-8306-987685DBAEB9.jpeg

They Kept on rising but I’d had enough and went on the search for trout, it was red hot in the sunshine even in just my shirt and vest.
i headed upstream into the shade of a few large overhanging trees, I. Sat for a while and saw the usual kingfisher shoor past as splendid as ever.
Then on the far bank a red squirrel ran in the grass and shot up a big oak tree.
57A5EEBA-0A90-429C-8919-457F7CED6405.jpeg

I noticed a small rise under a tree to my right, I assumed quite wrongly it was just a parr, I climbed gingerly into the cool water and waited like a Heron, he rose again so I put a fly over him, nothing, he rose again and I covered him again, this time he took it and I was into one of the best fish I’ve had all year, a stonking brownie that wasn’t at all happy.
He led me a merry dance, leaping out high and head shaking, I really was surprised just how strong he was, several head shakes later I drew him over the net. He was only about 1.75lbs but what a fish, muscles in every fin.
Typical Eden wildie heavily spotted, I was mid river and it had been a fair fight for him and I’m just brilliant at dropping expensive I phones in water so I let him go without a snap.
When I was waiting for him to show himself I noticed a robin in the tree to my left watching me, he was still there after I released the fish but he was now jumping up and down on his branch?? It was quite bizarre actually.
You know they say an appearance from a robin is a lost relative, well I’d like to think it was my father and he was just chuffed for me.
Ive had much bigger trout in the Eden but I’ve never had such a cracking fight in a long time.
S.

mebu

Went out for a few hours early this morning on a small river I haven't visited since before lockdown.
Firstly, I did feel it was a great delight to be back with the 6ft 9inches Echo glass rod, a real delight to cast with. Unfortunately no fish showing or moving, worked slowly up the river pools, after trying dries worked small nymphs through several pools but no joy. Nothing at all. As getting through mid morning and the sun getting warmer, worked back down to last pool. A couple of small rises, under some overhanging branches, tried several dries and nymphs, but fish still rising.
After being all round the fly box, as it was likely they were on greenfly from the trees, found my one small green dry fly in the box, then a couple showed interest.
Drove home determined to tie up some small green aphid patterns

benisa

It’s been a truly lovely day here, after lunch I just had to get out in the fresh air so went on an Appleby middle beat.
not long after I set up I noticed a good few grayling sipping something I couldn’t see, so I put on a small white Para type fly.
i got a rise immediately but no connection? I had three more takes but just couldn’t connect with them, I decided to count to two after the rise and sure enough next cast I had a lovely fit grayling about a pound.
View attachment 30763

View attachment 30764

They Kept on rising but I’d had enough and went on the search for trout, it was red hot in the sunshine even in just my shirt and vest.
i headed upstream into the shade of a few large overhanging trees, I. Sat for a while and saw the usual kingfisher shoor past as splendid as ever.
Then on the far bank a red squirrel ran in the grass and shot up a big oak tree.
View attachment 30765

I noticed a small rise under a tree to my right, I assumed quite wrongly it was just a parr, I climbed gingerly into the cool water and waited like a Heron, he rose again so I put a fly over him, nothing, he rose again and I covered him again, this time he took it and I was into one of the best fish I’ve had all year, a stonking brownie that wasn’t at all happy.
He led me a merry dance, leaping out high and head shaking, I really was surprised just how strong he was, several head shakes later I drew him over the net. He was only about 1.75lbs but what a fish, muscles in every fin.
Typical Eden wildie heavily spotted, I was mid river and it had been a fair fight for him and I’m just brilliant at dropping expensive I phones in water so I let him go without a snap.
When I was waiting for him to show himself I noticed a robin in the tree to my left watching me, he was still there after I released the fish but he was now jumping up and down on his branch?? It was quite bizarre actually.
You know they say an appearance from a robin is a lost relative, well I’d like to think it was my father and he was just chuffed for me.
Ive had much bigger trout in the Eden but I’ve never had such a cracking fight in a long time.
S.
Nice bit of water you fish S

benisa

I never take it for granted Dave, I’m very fortunate.
S.
Some bits down here like that you would have to pay a bit for a days fishing on
always ( even maybe no chalk streams) think you have access to a lot of waters up your end of the woods and at a decent price

PS Nice picture of your Hardy Reel :)

JayP

Just spent a few days fishing the Welsh borderlands, three days and three rivers and a shed load of wild fish. No hatches so everything taken sub surface on a mix of perdigones, killer bugs and caddis pupae.

Full fighting wild fish in the most stunning of surroundings. Already planning my 2021 trip 👍

IMG_20200914_163104_536.jpg

20200914_180606.jpg

IMG_20200915_094134_422.jpg

20200915_103836.jpg
20200915_124307.jpg

njm

View attachment 30763

View attachment 30764

View attachment 30765

S.
I fished the Eden last weekend and got well and truly skunked. The river seemed devoid of fish, until of course it was time to go home and then they started rising. Actually end of season has been surprisingly difficult this year but am on a "trophy trout" water tmr so fingers crossed for one final hurrah!!

mrnotherone

Yesterday was a beautiful afternoon with some signs that Autumn is here. I tried to attract with the dry but had limited success. I did catch a lot of leaves though. Nymphs were more successful and for the first time this year there were a lot more grayling about the trout. Lovely late season day.
IMG_5792.jpg
IMG_5782.jpgIMG_5771.jpg

Mrtrout

I fished the Eden last weekend and got well and truly skunked. The river seemed devoid of fish, until of course it was time to go home and then they started rising. Actually end of season has been surprisingly difficult this year but am on a "trophy trout" water tmr so fingers crossed for one final hurrah!!
Funny thing fishing isn’t it, pity you couldn’t have hung back to fish the rise.
its been a great season so far for me, and as for trophy fish you need look no further than the Eden, some big fish caught lately.
S.