''Wild Trout & Grayling Fishing 2020''

bobnudd

Went for a day fishing on the Elan Valley yesterday with my mate. Not such a long day this time Douglas I was home just before 21:00. The day was glorious but not so great for fish. We had hoped that there would be a few daddies blown on to the water and the fish would be at them. But the bright sun and the lack of daddies put paid to that. so we had to resort to pulling wets. We managed a dozen small fish between us. 2000_0307_001628_003 (2).JPG
2000_0306_234637_001 (2).JPG
not the best days fishing we've had up there. But defiantly one of the better days with had

Attachments

Mrtrout

I returned to the beat I was on last Tuesday, a few grayling rising but I just couldn’t hook them, I tried dries emergers and shuttlecocks all to no avail, rose seven but didn’t even touch one??
Saw my usual kingfisher and spotted one hell of a big trout rising under an old dead tree, the water he moved was massive.
i put several dries over him but he wasn’t having any of it.
Still a lovely day to be out.
74908785-75E1-4E38-8C5B-1009C4160225.jpeg749A814D-B9A1-41AA-BF9C-DA6515B9B582.jpegD0BEAEB7-A83A-458A-9EF0-B17A81C1777A.jpeg

Last edited:

eddleston123

Had a late afternoon /evening session today. It was very hot, with clear blue skies. Started fishing around 5pm - I stopped fishing around 6.30 and just sat and had something to eat. I thought that if I waited till the sun went behind the hill, I may stand a better chance. Up till that time I caught two fish both around 10'' and plump

When the sun did eventually dip behind the hill, I began to fish again. No rises, things just seemed totally dead. It got cold very quickly. I only fished on for 30 minutes or so, Just back.

Anyway, didn't catch that elusive thumper, but they are getting marginally bigger!
Maybe tomorrow!

Douglas

Leapt out the water to nail my parachute adams. Seemed a bit suicidal!

Another one to the Adams. a subtler rise!

Rose a good fish in this pool, but it was only on for a couple of secs. I was a bit annoyed and I think I said oh dam or something like that!

Ate my pieces whilst waiting patiently for the sun to sink below the hill (for all the good it done me)

Going, Going, nearly Gone!

Last edited:

benisa

I returned to the beat I was on last Tuesday, a few grayling rising but I just couldn’t hook them, I tried dries emergers and shuttlecocks all to no avail, rose seven but didn’t even ***** one??
saw my usual kingfisher and spotted one hell of a big trout rising under an old dead tree, the water he moved was massive.
i put several dries over him but he wasn’t having any of it.
Still a lovely day to be out.
View attachment 30823View attachment 30824View attachment 30825
Again great Pictures of a nice bit water + the Reel !

eddleston123

Went for a day fishing on the Elan Valley yesterday with my mate. Not such a long day this time Douglas I was home just before 21:00. The day was glorious but not so great for fish. We had hoped that there would be a few daddies blown on to the water and the fish would be at them. But the bright sun and the lack of daddies put paid to that. so we had to resort to pulling wets. We managed a dozen small fish between us. View attachment 30818
View attachment 30820
not the best days fishing we've had up there. But defiantly one of the better days with had

A dozen small fish sounds good to me, especially at this time of year.

Well done. A good day.

Douglas

wobbly face

Got a call of brother in law (we're bubbling with him, no rude or smutty glib 😛), did I fancy fishing the local river for an hour or two. So off we went to the open sewer :poop: (this was a very polluted river, still stinks a bit :sick:). It was very bright, breezy in places and plenty of trees and bankside vegetation. Only a few spots to fish, better for one person, we didn't wade and only took short rods. B-i-l fished a dry, I fished duo. No fish showing though a bit of fly life, heron, dipper and kingfisher. He was already setup so fished end of a pool whilst I got sorted, nothing doing. I had a go and still nothing so we moved up to next fishing spot. Slightly longer and more flow. He started half way up, I at the tail and changed to heavier nymph. Still nothing doing. He then fished the head without a touch, then I had go and had a fish to my grey nymph. A nice sliver brown, only about10 inch but very plump. We then had a walk and scout about 👀. Fished another good looking pool with room both of us. Again b-i-l started midway, I at the tail. Moved up slowly then had a second fish, another plump 10 to 11 inch silver brown (maybe a tad bigger than the first) to the nymph. B-i-l then switched to a nymph and he finished the pool but with no joy.
I had heard reports of some good fish in the sewer, was nice to see them in the flesh. :) Next time (if not too late) I will take the waders and use a longer rod. ;)

njm

Agree with MrTrout on the Eden, it is a pleasure to fish and holds some very large trout.

Anyway, was up in SW Scotland yesterday and had a pretty good day with a few decent trout and Grayling, all on the drys.

Also saw one of the largest Grayling i have ever seen holding in a deep pool. Left it alone for now!

IMG_0815.jpg

eddleston123

Journeyed down to a border stream today. I'm trying to squeeze in as many sessions as possible as I am conscious that the end of Sept is rapidly approaching.

Had a good day 3 fish 9'' -10''-12'' missed a few rises. I made up my mind to fish today with a nymph, so I set up a two fly nymph rig. After about the second cast I saw a rise at the top of the pool. I couldn't help but change to a dry fly which I stuck with for the rest of the day.

Things still challenging this time of year, but there is still always the chance of something in the biggie range!

Some pics

Douglas

Best of the day a plump 12''

Beautiful colours - Not many freshwater fish can match a wild brownie for looks!

On rare occasions fly fishing seems easy - Saw this one rise - got myself into position - the first cast was on the money - It rose - I hooked and landed it. If they were all that easy I suppose it would become boring!

Not a monster, but hand painted!

Last edited:

Scotty Mitchell

Good efforts Gentlemen.
I can hear a large female warming her vocal chords. The end is nigh. Out on a Tay trib tomorrow with my good mate Pete Moir, that could well be it for me and the Trout. It'll be sporadic Grayling sessions from then I suspect.

Scotty Mitchell

Entertaining day on a Tay Tributary today with Pete (Viva Ecosse). Hopefully I can get his photos up as he has the better ones.
We found the Trout very conspicuous in their absence, but the Grayling were very much "on". In the morning we fished the faster runs, sharing a rod and going fish then swap, great fun. Grayling up to 2.5lbs. #16 nymphs with 2mm silver tungsten beads were the preference, a bit of green in the nymph seemed to be a theme too.
We drove to a different beat, further downstream towards the Tay. Slower moving in general. Grayling up to 1.5 caught steadily here on #16 olive emergers.
A very pleasing session, and probably my last till 15th November.
Tight lines to those who will be fishing right through, look forward to your reports keeping me going 👍.

eddleston123

Entertaining day on a Tay Tributary today with Pete (Viva Ecosse). Hopefully I can get his photos up as he has the better ones.
We found the Trout very conspicuous in their absence, but the Grayling were very much "on". In the morning we fished the faster runs, sharing a rod and going fish then swap, great fun. Grayling up to 2.5lbs. #16 nymphs with 2mm silver tungsten beads were the preference, a bit of green in the nymph seemed to be a theme too.
We drove to a different beat, further downstream towards the Tay. Slower moving in general. Grayling up to 1.5 caught steadily here on #16 olive emergers.
A very pleasing session, and probably my last till 15th November.
Tight lines to those who will be fishing right through, look forward to your reports keeping me going 👍.

Hi Scotty,

Sounds like a great day - Love the pics -

I've always wondered if there was a secret to photographing grayling with there dorsal fin sticking up.

Anytime I take a pic of a grayling it never seems to oblige!

I'm hoping to have a short session tomorrow on the upper tweed (for grayling) - Hope I share some of your success today.

Douglas

Scotty Mitchell

Hi Scotty,

Sounds like a great day - Love the pics -

I've always wondered if there was a secret to photographing grayling with there dorsal fin sticking up.

Anytime I take a pic of a grayling it never seems to oblige!

I'm hoping to have a short session tomorrow on the upper tweed (for grayling) - Hope I share some of your success today.

Douglas
That was pure fluke Douglas 😁
All my photos are just snapshots if it's convinient some you win, most you don't 🤣
Tight lines for tomorrow 👍

eddleston123

Today I fished the upper tweed for a couple of hours. Started off trundling a couple of nymphs along the bottom, hoping for a Tweed specimen grayling. No success. In a strange way I was quite pleased as I forgot to take my camera today. It would have just been sods law to catch a 21'' grayling and have no way of recording it!

I changed to dry fly for the last hour and caught two nice brownies (about 10'') Caught them in the skinny water at the head of the pool. Also rose a much bigger fish but struck into fresh air.

Autumn has definitely arrived. lots of leaves floating down the river and a distinct nip in the air.
This may be my last trout session this year, (or maybe not). I'll see how the weather goes.
A depressing thought.

Douglas

Last edited:

sean freeman

Was lucky enough to fish a private beat on the Lathkill yesterday and what a day it was. With the bright sunshine it was a struggle to stay stealthy at first, especiallywith the river being so low and rod flash not helping either! The hut was a nice place to plan our attack though.
69117257-5E3C-4B99-A6AD-19A9EB344117.jpeg

I opened my account on the second cast to a sipping fish in the pool by the hut and a beautiful little brownies came to hand, they’re all pure Lathkill strain up here and I had a few of the red flanked trout described by Charles Cotton. It was cool to be fishing in the footsteps of the greats.
EC4DEB68-8FC6-4310-8B6E-240912541E83.jpeg

We carried on and fished the faster runs down river with success using a small CDC and Elk caddis, the flatter pools and runs were full of picky and skittish fish that required a more delicate approach with smaller flies, after they had refused my foam duns and caddis patterns I noticed tiny flies on the surface and decided they must be what the trout were sipping so frequently, I went through my box and found a couple of midge patterns on tiny size 24 hooks that a member gave me years ago. This proved to be very successful and I went about targeting the bigger fish whilst trying not to spook the smaller fish around them.
Below are my best fish of the day and probably my favourites of the year, stunning fish that took a lot of effort to catch.

6BBDC80B-F520-42DF-B0E0-20D7CE7AA354.jpeg

EB0487D3-D3A1-4B12-B4B7-ED021DA940EE.jpeg

I had one more of a similar size and called it quits at 5pm knowing that the day couldn’t get any better! It hurts just a little bit knowing I probably won’t fish it again anytime soon but the Lathkill gave up some of its beauties and I could happily put the trout rods away and end the season on that!

62A35164-904B-4CD9-A542-484875FA1061.jpeg

bobnudd

Out yesterday for what will probably be my last go for the Trout on the clubs rivers. The river was at a good height but very clear a specially with the early Autumn sun shinning brightly on to it. I tried to temped fish up with dries to no avail. So on went a hot spot P/T nymph and I was rewarded with a nice Trout.
2000_0311_155645_001 (2).JPG After That things took on a distinctly Grayling theme. The next 7 fish were all Grayling with 4 being around a pound+ the biggest pushing 2lb,was 18''. My best from this stretch of the river2000_0311_164834_004 (2).JPG2000_0311_164757_003 (2).JPG Then things went quiet couldn't think why. So I decided move to another beat. When I got back to the car I discovered that a another member had turned up and dropped in front of me. Which goes against club rules. Anyway I drove to another beat where I found some small Trout willing to take the old Stimulator. So in the end I got my last Trout on a dry fly this season,roll on next season. Now its time to concentrate on the Grayling

Scotty Mitchell

Latest posts