''Wild Trout & Grayling Fishing 2020''

bobnudd

I've always maintained that the wee ones are just as important as their bigger brothers/sisters!

A fish is a fish is a fish!

Well done for your last session. It's gonna be a long six months!

Douglas
Yes indeed along 6 months but as I said if we don't get to much rain there always the Grayling. The problem I've got is the the rivers I fish go up quickly but drop very slowly

thetrouttickler

Local streams fishing well this was in a local small stream a week or so ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recognise that image! I was just reading your post. Sounds like you had a good season.

mattyn

Talking of last cast pools of 2020, here's mine from Monday:

I had a Grayling on that dived under the weedbed on the right hand side and caused a disturbance to the vegetation which caused a massive dark shape to appear from nowhere and charge angrily around for a few seconds before melting away into the undercut underneath the floating weed bed......

I'll be back to have a good go for him next year!

Attachments

• River psteam.jpg
    River psteam.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16

thetrouttickler

Talking of last cast pools of 2020, here's mine from Monday:

I had a Grayling on that dived under the weedbed on the right hand side and caused a disturbance to the vegetation which caused a massive dark shape to appear from nowhere and charge angrily around for a few seconds before melting away into the undercut underneath the floating weed bed......

I'll be back to have a good go for him next year!
Screenshot_20200930-215123_Gallery.jpg

I believe this is the same stretch of water. Would love to know what's just around the corner. I never made it that far.

mattyn

Just around the corner and up to the road bridge it becomes extremely shallow and riffly. Just the odd little fish here and there....

The best section I found was as you wade under the green bridge,where the golfers cross, then round the corner and you have a long, deep straight.....it was one a Chuck here for a good 40 minutes!

A good mix of wild browns, grayling and I suspect the bigger browns were stocked.

Needless,to say it was a great days fishing and I shall definitely be returning!

mebu

Hadn't planned on going out today however the Welsh government said this may be my last day on the Dee for some time, with the shutters coming down on the border. So, all cancelled and car loaded.

Tackling up by the river, had a bit of a shock when I looked over to the other bank, at the camp site. Sat there dangling a rod was a red robed, white fringed character. Couldn't decide whether Santa was also having his last day before lockdown, or his normal pre-Christmas relaxation.

Decided to hike well up the beat to a spot I like, as water level not too bad after yesterday's heavy rain. On the heavy nymphs, fairly quickly a real lump of a grayling, perfect condition, a real net filler. Almost decided to pack in then, as so pleased. Stayed at the stretch a bit longer, missed a couple of good ones, then another good lunker, maybe 40cm, which filled the net. Lost another real good one at the net, my fault not his, and then another. Have rarely had such a run of large fish caught and lost. Then, of course, a 3" tiddler.
As it went quiet, went back downstream, but found other anglers also trying to beat the 6pm curfew, some pools occupied. Tried spiders for a while, but suspected it wasn't the right method, so departed.
Enjoyed the day, may not be allowed back for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_0314_LI.jpg
    IMG_0314_LI.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 44

mebu

better pic?

Oh dear no, sorry

Attachments

• IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26

Tom4

Went out on the Lugg yesterday. It was a cool damp day considering we are now in July. The river gauge was showing 8'' which is the normal height for the time of year, it doesn't want to drop any more tho. I decided to fish the nymph and only but on a dry fly if I saw fish rising. Fished for a couple of hours getting lots of taps, just as the nymph started to come up through water at the end of the drift. eventually got my first fish of the day when a small trout grabbed the nymph and took off.View attachment 28550 After that I had a few small Grayling. Then just after med day I spotted a fish rise and quickly put on the old stimulator. The moment the fly hit the water the fish had it, once a gain a small trout. I only saw 4 fish rise all day and I landed 3 of them all Trout and mist the other one. I finished the day with honors even 8 Trout and 8 Grayling the biggest was a Grayling around 8'' markView attachment 28551
Hi Bobnudd,

I stumbled upon your post about fishing on the Lugg from July. I'm new to the area, located right by the Lugg. I was wondering if you had any suggestion for where best to fish the Lugg this time of the year?

Cheers,
Tom

boisker

i made only my 2nd visit to the Tone this year, a great session so will no doubt get back out for a few more visits through autumn. River in great condition, weather favourable.... trout season finished, so focussing on Grayling I had a proper session ‘euro’ nymphing.... a productive 3.5 hrs... about 40 to hand, mostly Grayling but also some os trout...
apart from a few to a dry fly at the end of the session, all came to the same nymph pattern.. 2 nymphs, initially size 16 different colours/patterns.... but after a few changes ended up with the same 2.5mm pattern on both the point and dropper.... they didn’t want anything else.
took a few photo’s but most were trash as I guess I’d got water splashed on the lens..
this was the pick of the remaining few, and pretty representative of the larger size range showing...

Mrtrout

Had a strange few hours today, I decided to do a bit of trotting on some public water near Carlisle. Loaded the car and five minutes later it started raining, never mind I had committed at this point so carried on.
It started chucking it down on the way but as I arrived at the car park it suddenly stopped and the sun came out.
set up at the river and after a few casts I realised I’d missed a ring on the rod in my haste!!!
Nothing else for it but cut it all off and start again, third cast and a decent fish on went to wind in and I had an enormous birds nest at the reel, fish came off and I spent ten minutes sorting it all out.
I fitted 100 yards of Drennan Float Fish line during the summer highly recommended to me, but it was constantly trapped on the spool and just wouldn’t free flow out, I stripped the whole lot off the reel and reloaded it but it just kept sticking and over running.
Struggled on and managed 8 grayling to the net and dropped another 4, nothing much over half a pound, the biggest fish all day was the one I lost due to the birds nest.
just fishing in my thigh waders as the river was low I managed to place my foot in a hole and fill my left leg with cold water, got out drained the wader off and spent the rest of the day sloshing about with trench foot.!
I then cast out and managed to catch the tree on the opposite bank, I didn’t want to lose the float as it was one I made, snapped it off and the float fell in the water drifting downstream, managed to get it back eventually.
Id had enough at this point so headed home, jumped on the M6 and got trapped on the inside lane by a dick head sat in the middle lane that wouldn’t move, I slowed down until he passed me at 45 mph and finally got going. Once home I decided to replace my line with some thicker 8 lb Diawa Sensor line, could I find it??? Had it ages but when you want it no chance.
Then I couldn’t find my tube of Loctite super glue that I keep so safe I couldn’t find it!!
Started to reload the reel with some Maxima 8lb I had in stock and realised it had somehow gone behind the spool and was all tangled up, I just about gave up at this point and went for a large glass of 19 Crimes. 🍷
It’s just been one of those days, hopefully it’ll get better tomorrow?
S.

mrnotherone

Had a strange few hours today, I decided to do a bit of trotting on some public water near Carlisle. Loaded the car and five minutes later it started raining, never mind I had committed at this point so carried on.
It started chucking it down on the way but as I arrived at the car park it suddenly stopped and the sun came out.
set up at the river and after a few casts I realised I’d missed a ring on the rod in my haste!!!
Nothing else for it but cut it all off and start again, third cast and a decent fish on went to wind in and I had an enormous birds nest at the reel, fish came off and I spent ten minutes sorting it all out.
I fitted 100 yards of Drennan Float Fish line during the summer highly recommended to me, but it was constantly trapped on the spool and just wouldn’t free flow out, I stripped the whole lot off the reel and reloaded it but it just kept sticking and over running.
Struggled on and managed 8 grayling to the net and dropped another 4, nothing much over half a pound, the biggest fish all day was the one I lost due to the birds nest.
just fishing in my thigh waders as the river was low I managed to place my foot in a hole and fill my left leg with cold water, got out drained the wader off and spent the rest of the day sloshing about with trench foot.!
I then cast out and managed to catch the tree on the opposite bank, I didn’t want to lose the float as it was one I made, snapped it off and the float fell in the water drifting downstream, managed to get it back eventually.
Id had enough at this point so headed home, jumped on the M6 and got trapped on the inside lane by a dick head sat in the middle lane that wouldn’t move, I slowed down until he passed me at 45 mph and finally got going. Once home I decided to replace my line with some thicker 8 lb Diawa Sensor line, could I find it??? Had it ages but when you want it no chance.
Then I couldn’t find my tube of Loctite super glue that I keep so safe I couldn’t find it!!
Started to reload the reel with some Maxima 8lb I had in stock and realised it had somehow gone behind the spool and was all tangled up, I just about gave up at this point and went for a large glass of 19 Crimes. 🍷
S.
Refreshing to read Steven, I thought it was only me that had days like that...... :)

eddleston123

S.

You seemed to have had a mixed day - but 8 grayling would have been a 'result' for me.

How many 'Crimes' did you commit today?

Douglas

jaybeegee

An eventful day Steven. I still use Bayer Perlon for float fishing after more years than I care to remember and tried lots of other stuff but been unimpressed. I blanked yesterday though so I’m envious.
B

mebu

Yes sounds like one of those days Steven, upside is that they make the other, good, days even better. Hopefully next trip out will be an "other, good" day.

Mrtrout

An eventful day Steven. I still use Bayer Perlon for float fishing after more years than I care to remember and tried lots of other stuff but been unimpressed. I blanked yesterday though so I’m envious.
B

Why Bayer Perlon B, any particular reason?
I find most monos just trap on the spool and don’t flow nicely on the trot.
I tried Berkeley Fireflash a while back as it’s thicker and floats, it was ok but not perfect, then last season I bought 100 Mtrs of Drennan float fish but it was pretty useless yesterday.
I think putting more than 50 yds on the reel causes line bite as well so ive now just replaced it with 50 yds of Maxima 8lb.
My end tippet 15 ft is normal 5lb Jaxon so we’ll see.
S.

wobbly face

Steven, No more than 40 meters of mono on a centre pin is usually the way to go to reduce line bite/bedding in. If stick float fishing I used to use Ultima Hollow which floats well. 6lb max as it was quite thick in diameter. It was also good for using floating baits for carp etc in higher breaking strains, just use a good line for hook links.

Mrtrout

Steven, No more than 40 meters of mono on a centre pin is usually the way to go to reduce line bite/bedding in. If stick float fishing I used to use Ultima Hollow which floats well. 6lb max as it was quite thick in diameter. It was also good for using floating baits for carp etc in higher breaking strains, just use a good line for hook links.

Yes I think anymore than 50 yds is a no no Ged the Berkeley Fireline was hollow as well, same stuff as your Ultima I think.
Ill try again shortly and see if this Maxima makes much difference.
Thanks S.

Latest posts