''Wild Trout & Grayling Fishing 2020''

Overmiwadrers

Yes I think anymore than 50 yds is a no no Ged the Berkeley Fireline was hollow as well, same stuff as your Ultima I think.
Ill try again shortly and see if this Maxima makes much difference.
Thanks S.
For me its nothing to do with the line its the thickness of the line on the Spool , As said above it will bed in if there is a few layers of line. I always preferred spools with bar spacers as well rather than a solid spool. Much less prone to bedding. I use drennan floatfish sometimes and have found it ok.

O M W

jaybeegee

Why Bayer Perlon B, any particular reason?
I find most monos just trap on the spool and don’t flow nicely on the trot.
I tried Berkeley Fireflash a while back as it’s thicker and floats, it was ok but not perfect, then last season I bought 100 Mtrs of Drennan float fish but it was pretty useless yesterday.
I think putting more than 50 yds on the reel causes line bite as well so ive now just replaced it with 50 yds of Maxima 8lb.
My end tippet 15 ft is normal 5lb Jaxon so we’ll see.
S.
I’ve used it for donkey’s years S and I trust it, it has good knot strength and it’s not too soft so nice and easy to mend line ( and less tangles ). It’s also what I use for tippets if I don’t need fluoro. My pin is usually loaded with 3.2 lbs unless there are big chub or barbel in the river.
B

Last edited:

jaybeegee

I’ve used it for donkey’s years S and I trust it, it has good knot strength and it’s not too soft so nice and easy to mend line ( and less tangles ). It’s also what I use for tippets if I don’t need fluoro. My pin is usually loaded with 3.2 lbs unless there are big chub or barbel in the river.
B
I forgot to ask Steven... what bait did you use?
B

Mrtrout

Good old maggots, we can only use a single worm on my clubs water but this is a public stretch and there’s a coarse fishery just up the road where I get half a pint for £1.50.
S.

jaybeegee

Good old maggots, we can only use a single worm on my clubs water but this is a public stretch and there’s a coarse fishery just up the road where I get half a pint for £1.50.
S.
Though it’s allowed, until we have a good hard frost the trout on our club stretch go nuts for maggots, the grayling don’t get a look in. Another few weeks yet probably.
B

bibio1st

Yes I think anymore than 50 yds is a no no Ged the Berkeley Fireline was hollow as well, same stuff as your Ultima I think.
Ill try again shortly and see if this Maxima makes much difference.
Thanks S.

Back in the days of my coarse fishing, bayer 2.2 or 2.6lb mainline and 1.7lb hook length, it was good enough for the Trent chub.

Steve

smallmouth

Another soft, grey, drizzly day on the river. I was the first and only car in the parking place, so I tackled up quickly and made my way straight to a series of runs and pools that I know definitely hold plenty of grayling.

With around a foot of extra peat tinged water and an abundance of leaves, I set up the ten foot #3, with a three foot orange furlie and 7 foot of 6x fluorocarbon with two beaded nymphs. An “#18” 2.5mm purple beaded cdc & grey nymph on the point, a “#22” 2mm copper beaded cdc ptn on the dropper.
A59FAAA1-D391-40FE-A9A4-10A49A9232F1.jpeg
With the extra coloured water and leaves, the furlie was held off the water and the nymphs fished almost under the rod tip. Twitches on the hanging furlie were easy to spot once I’d got my eye in.
367C301C-9228-4D4D-AD8D-B63B53300EE3.jpeg
I’d promised myself that if I caught two consecutive oos trout without a grayling in a particular spot, I’d move on.

I found that any fly with pink or purple, either beaded jig hook or curved pink shrimp types, only produced trout, (some were hook jawed and decent sized).

So far I’d only caught grayling on the #22 copper beaded nymphs, so I switched to a pair of these and caught a succession of small grayling, (which were great fun on the flexible through action Wychwood Drift), and only a couple more trout.
4D3BF678-B8B6-4B7A-9B5B-0B7CC3BB3E41.jpeg
I left late afternoon when the rain started to hammer down, the river had started to rise and colour and not being able to see the bottom made for hazardous wading.

I think the river will be out of sorts for the rest of my week off, but I’ve a reservoir or small stillwater to choose from, even under tier 3 restrictions......

Matthew.

Another soft, grey, drizzly day on the river. I was the first and only car in the parking place, so I tackled up quickly and made my way straight to a series of runs and pools that I know definitely hold plenty of grayling.

With around a foot of extra peat tinged water and an abundance of leaves, I set up the ten foot #3, with a three foot orange furlie and 7 foot of 6x fluorocarbon with two beaded nymphs. An “#18” 2.5mm purple beaded cdc & grey nymph on the point, a “#22” 2mm copper beaded cdc ptn on the dropper.
View attachment 32073
With the extra coloured water and leaves, the furlie was held off the water and the nymphs fished almost under the rod tip. Twitches on the hanging furlie were easy to spot once I’d got my eye in.
View attachment 32074
I’d promised myself that if I caught two consecutive oos trout without a grayling in a particular spot, I’d move on.

I found that any fly with pink or purple, either beaded jig hook or curved pink shrimp types, only produced trout, (some were hook jawed and decent sized).

So far I’d only caught grayling on the #22 copper beaded nymphs, so I switched to a pair of these and caught a succession of small grayling, (which were great fun on the flexible through action Wychwood Drift), and only a couple more trout.
View attachment 32075
I left late afternoon when the rain started to hammer down, the river had started to rise and colour and not being able to see the bottom made for hazardous wading.

I think the river will be out of sorts for the rest of my week off, but I’ve a reservoir or small stillwater to choose from, even under tier 3 restrictions......

Hello, What river where you fishing?

rabmax

First day for a week the rivers have been fishable.The forecast was for a gentle breeze. But it was very windy at times.I caught fairly well though considering the conditions.The micro mop was very effective as normal.Best fish nearly 3lb so can't complain.20201104_100638.jpgHopefully the wind will drop a bit for tomorrow.

teeser

Had a strange few hours today, I decided to do a bit of trotting on some public water near Carlisle. Loaded the car and five minutes later it started raining, never mind I had committed at this point so carried on.
It started chucking it down on the way but as I arrived at the car park it suddenly stopped and the sun came out.
set up at the river and after a few casts I realised I’d missed a ring on the rod in my haste!!!
Nothing else for it but cut it all off and start again, third cast and a decent fish on went to wind in and I had an enormous birds nest at the reel, fish came off and I spent ten minutes sorting it all out.
I fitted 100 yards of Drennan Float Fish line during the summer highly recommended to me, but it was constantly trapped on the spool and just wouldn’t free flow out, I stripped the whole lot off the reel and reloaded it but it just kept sticking and over running.
Struggled on and managed 8 grayling to the net and dropped another 4, nothing much over half a pound, the biggest fish all day was the one I lost due to the birds nest.
just fishing in my thigh waders as the river was low I managed to place my foot in a hole and fill my left leg with cold water, got out drained the wader off and spent the rest of the day sloshing about with trench foot.!
I then cast out and managed to catch the tree on the opposite bank, I didn’t want to lose the float as it was one I made, snapped it off and the float fell in the water drifting downstream, managed to get it back eventually.
Id had enough at this point so headed home, jumped on the M6 and got trapped on the inside lane by a dick head sat in the middle lane that wouldn’t move, I slowed down until he passed me at 45 mph and finally got going. Once home I decided to replace my line with some thicker 8 lb Diawa Sensor line, could I find it??? Had it ages but when you want it no chance.
Then I couldn’t find my tube of Loctite super glue that I keep so safe I couldn’t find it!!
Started to reload the reel with some Maxima 8lb I had in stock and realised it had somehow gone behind the spool and was all tangled up, I just about gave up at this point and went for a large glass of 19 Crimes. 🍷
It’s just been one of those days, hopefully it’ll get better tomorrow?
S.
can i go fishing with you s Steven i think you might make even me look good
joking aside we all have the days that we would rather forget mine usually involve a dunking but its all part of lifes rich pattern i guess

Mrtrout

can i go fishing with you s Steven i think you might make even me look good
joking aside we all have the days that we would rather forget mine usually involve a dunking but its all part of lifes rich pattern i guess

Im a faller inner as well, used to be a regular occurrence.
S.

mrnotherone

Im a faller inner as well, used to be a regular occurrence.
S.
I have very rarely fallen in, but on the few occasions, I have tended to go large.... Season before last I executed a near perfect backwards role in about four feet of water. A passing judge would have given me a 9.6 for degree of difficulty and I would definitely have progressed to the next round :)

Mrtrout

I have very rarely fallen in, but on the few occasions, I have tended to go large.... Season before last I executed a near perfect backwards role in about four feet of water. A passing judge would have given me a 9.6 for degree of difficulty and I would definitely have progressed to the next round :)

I don’t fall in from off the bank it’s usually in the river when I stumble or slip.
so easy to lose your balance, I too have done some dramatic dance moves that strictly come Dancing would be proud of.
I never wade without a stick now, never.
S.

eddleston123

I would never contemplate wading without a stick - It always amazes me when I see anglers up to their armpits stumbling around without a stick.

Then I have got to keep reminding myself - I fished 'without' a wading stick for some 45 years and never thought anything off it!

Once you have your third leg though - you never go back!

Douglas

Reactions: njm

mebu

I always use a stick nowadays, and, on the big river, safety waistcoat as well. Recently updated my Airflo Wavehopper for an England's. Wouldn't feel safe in deep water without it. My pins have supported me for 7 decades, want hopefully another decade on the water.

Peter

njm

I would never contemplate wading without a stick - It always amazes me when I see anglers up to their armpits stumbling around without a stick.

Then I have got to keep reminding myself - I fished 'without' a wading stick for some 45 years and never thought anything off it!

Douglas
45 years !! No wonder you're always catching big fish.

Hope to be on the river tmr - just grateful we still can

bobnudd

First day for a week the rivers have been fishable.The forecast was for a gentle breeze. But it was very windy at times.I caught fairly well though considering the conditions.The micro mop was very effective as normal.Best fish nearly 3lb so can't complain.View attachment 32273Hopefully the wind will drop a bit for tomorrow.
Cracking looking fish that

bobnudd

Douglas
I've always had a third leg but it's not quite long enough for a wadding staff especially if they waters cold

eddleston123

45 years !! No wonder you're always catching big fish.

Hope to be on the river tmr - just grateful we still can
[/QUO

Not caught many big fish this year - but covid and all that, gives me an excuse!

Bought my first wading staff (for trout fishing) when I was around 55 - I'm now 70

Don't think I would have reached that age if was only relying on my two legs!!

Have a good day tomorrow.

Douglas

Last edited: