''Wild Trout & Grayling Fishing 2020''

eddleston123

Looks a tasty piece of water mebu.

I bet that the people who live in the houses overlooking this stretch don't fish!!

How handy would that be - 'How long will the tea be luv' - about 15 minutes - that's fine I should be back by then!

Douglas

The Squire

My best of 7 or 8 grayling from the Dove yesterday afternoon. I decided to go just after lunch having not intended fishing over the weekend as I thought conditions would be grim, just shows that sometimes going for it is the right answer! I was on the back of two quite tough sessions and was pleased to catch it right as I was on the verge of a confidence whack. I'd changed my setup a bit to a conventional fly line, two nymphs and an indicator but having pondered it since it was probably more to do with the fish being on the munch.

DSCN0720 - Edited.jpg

Overmiwadrers

Noticed some discussion on here about small stream rods the Orvis 6ft superfine carbon being like spaghetti ? well my spaghetti managed this one out from a fast run and under tight tree cover today and on a 3lb tippet I handled it well the other rod is a little cane job for dries

Last edited:

boisker

1st day in the Frome since early Oct...
river was carrying a little bit of colour which was a shame as it made it impossible to spot and sight fish the large Grayling the Frome is famous for...
I had a hell of a job avoiding OS browns, didn’t matter what I did, varying water type and ringing the changes in nymph type and colour... I still kept picking up Browns.
eventually I lifted into a huge lump deep in a pool... I didn’t even see it for 10 mins, every time I worked it towards the tail of the pool it would slowly and powerfully move back into the depths...
eventually I got it up to the surface... another bl@@dy brown, I would have put my house on it being a Grayling, the power and slow drives back into the deep just felt like a Grayling..
gutted, the brown was between 3.5-4lb it would have beaten my grayling pb:(
stunning wild fish though.., Where was it in late September when I fished the end of the trout season!

bibio1st

First time on a river this afternoon for for a few weeks due to levels and a sore hip that’s still not right, stumbling about today in wading boots that felt like they had soles made of bars of soap hasn’t helped, the river was about 6 inch higher that I’d like and clear, the extra water was making it push through, had to fish 3.5m point and 3m dropper to get any control, had 7 grayling all to the point, a flashback hares eared nymph, 4 of them decent a size, I’m surprised I didn’t see anyone else on, usually I bump into others.
2E98F763-A40A-41CD-8670-5C28E3F7A658.jpeg

DA039213-3E38-4BDA-99E8-377E397D8683.jpeg

Steve

bibio1st

phew...dunnit
Is that looking up river with Mcd’s on the left?
I think I might have seen you that day as I was on my way back from Stoke, were you walking past the cheshire rental outlet near the bike shop at one point, I saw a chap in waders with a fly rod set up for nymphing.

Steve

Last edited:

bobnudd

Just when you thought it was safe to back on the forum. M&F productions brings you social distancing fishing on the river 2. Another river. Unlike other squeals this one is as good or bad as the first one
Yes I've been at a loose end the last few days. But at least I now know how to edit videos badly

mrnotherone

Just when you thought it was safe to back on the forum. M&F productions brings you social distancing fishing on the river 2. Another river. Unlike other squeals this one is as good or bad as the first one
Yes I've been at a loose end the last few days. But at least I now know how to edit videos badly
I enjoyed that Bob, I particularly like the way you got rid of those two dogs....masterful :)

PS: A good head of trout in that stream, Welsh borders?

bibio1st

Back on the river today, the grayling were a smaller stamp but ended with 18 to pale pink beaded nymphs with hares ear body, fished with a rio nymphing line as I thought it would be more visible than the FL and rio bi coloured indicator, it meant I could fish up to just after 4pm on a tree lined river, it’s my usual approach on the smaller rivers with a shorter rod but worked well with the 10ft I used today.

2792B18D-4E87-4D08-B434-5A7897F747CB.jpeg

Steve

Last edited:

eddleston123

Back on the river today, the grayling were a smaller stamp but ended with 18 to pale pink beaded nymphs with hares ear body, fished with a rio nymphing line as I thought it would be more visible than the FL and rio bi coloured indicator, it meant I could fish up to just after 4pm on a tree lined river, it’s my usual approach on the smaller rivers with a shorter rod but worked well with the 10ft I used today.

View attachment 33115

Steve

18 fish - That's some result!

Well done.

Douglas

mebu

Now they've taken the Welsh Guards off the border, decided to go over to the river to try out my new rod.
Cold, damp day, but at least got onto the river bank.
Mixed fortunes: started with getting into complete tangle before getting in to the water, sorted that out, then caught reel on a twig and felt sharp stab as dropper fly bit into finger, enough force to break the nylon and cause bleeding. So rod handle has blood on before even wet. Got into the water, and good grayling on in just second cast. Thought this was going to be a wonder day, however nothing then for next hour or so. As water still a bit high for me, decided to stay on flatter, easy wading, pools, rather than my favourite. After a short hike, another poll and a lovely oos brown, would have been chuffed in summer. Then back to first pool, nothing doing, another quiet hour. Very surprising. I knew that top of water would not work, but as idea was to try the rod, put on a spider rig I had ready. First cast, a small grayling, had to laugh to myself, although the fish had the Stewart's Spider right down the throat so had to cut the nylon and leave the fly in. Hope it's OK still. Only a few more casts and tried rod on upstream dries, happy with the action.
So, a mixed day - no fish when would normally expect something, and fish when I would not expect.
At least satisfied with the rod.

bobnudd

Now they've taken the Welsh Guards off the border, decided to go over to the river to try out my new rod.
Cold, damp day, but at least got onto the river bank.
Mixed fortunes: started with getting into complete tangle before getting in to the water, sorted that out, then caught reel on a twig and felt sharp stab as dropper fly bit into finger, enough force to break the nylon and cause bleeding. So rod handle has blood on before even wet. Got into the water, and good grayling on in just second cast. Thought this was going to be a wonder day, however nothing then for next hour or so. As water still a bit high for me, decided to stay on flatter, easy wading, pools, rather than my favourite. After a short hike, another poll and a lovely oos brown, would have been chuffed in summer. Then back to first pool, nothing doing, another quiet hour. Very surprising. I knew that top of water would not work, but as idea was to try the rod, put on a spider rig I had ready. First cast, a small grayling, had to laugh to myself, although the fish had the Stewart's Spider right down the throat so had to cut the nylon and leave the fly in. Hope it's OK still. Only a few more casts and tried rod on upstream dries, happy with the action.
So, a mixed day - no fish when would normally expect something, and fish when I would not expect.
At least satisfied with the rod.
Well done on getting out on a day like today. What with one thing and another I've not been out on the river since October

rabmax

Was fishing a rising fairly coloured river today.In the morning they were all taking an egg fly pattern.In the afternoon a few started taking
the black magic nymph also on the top dropper.A couple of the grayling were 20 inches.Can't complain for my first day out since i got home from work.

Attachments

• 20201210_182044.jpg
    20201210_182044.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20201212_125515.jpg
    20201212_125515.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 20201212_111405.jpg
    20201212_111405.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 20201212_115237.jpg
    20201212_115237.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22

rabmax

I was out a few days ago on a freezing frosty day.It was as if the grayling was super glued to the bottom.Tried all my usual patterns with no success.Then dead drifted an eggstasy egg over the bottom( game on)I know there are people against fishing egg flies.I have no problem as this is what they are eating with Salmon & trout spawning the now.Peach or Fl cheese seems to be working best.Have tied a few taco eggs up containing peach & fl cheese.Hopefully the weather will improve for tomorrow & I can give them a swim.

Attachments

• 20201226_161455.jpg
    20201226_161455.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11

Latest posts