Will a Sea Trout or Salmon take trout flies

Oldbones

I went out today to experiment with swinging wet flies. The wing was blowing and it was raining from time to time.
But I know a couple of sheltered spots where I can catch trout.
I knew that the #2rod I usually use would be pointless in gusty conditions like we had today.
The water was up about a foot and the color of tea.
So I dug out my old Sharpes of Aberdeen 9' #6 three piece Belmont, nice enough rod and I though ideal for wet flies.
The tippet I had was 5X.
Any way I caught some trout, then I got a very light bite and I thought another trout, that's all I have ever caught in the river. But it is a Sea Trout and Salmon river.
Nope, it pulled back and started running upstream, it jumped 4 times so I did see it, not a trout, big and silver.
It was on for a bit, then it went to some boulders and that is when the tippet broke.
I was shocked to say the least andtotally unexpected.
The flies, on the point a PTN #16 and on the dropper an Endrick spider #14.
I am surprised, if it had been the #2 rod it could have been worse.
Is this unusual ?

PaulD

Yes they will. Sea trout during the day on a dry fly can be a lot of fun. In skinny water, salmon will often take small flies, particularly gold head nymphs. I've hooked salmon in November and December when bugging for grayling.

Sash

No, its more common than you think!

I have lost several good fish (sewin, most likely, but one might have been a salmon) while fishing the Cleddau for trout, and in all the cases the river was fining down after a spate.

And in two of those it was the goldhead PTN that I hooked and lost the fish.
But in each case I was, like you, gutted.

My only lesson learned was/is to fish (at least) one size of leader heavier when the water is a bit coloured: the trout in all probability won’t notice 4X, but it gives me a (far?) better chance next time I hook a migratory fish on my trout rod.

Last edited:

BobP

My one and only salmon took a size 10 Watson's Fancy on a small loch on the Isle of Mull many years ago.

doobrysnatcher

funny you ask that i was fishing spiders one day when on the river i cast across and let it drift down into the run just next to a pool ,when i got a sudden stop on the drift ,"snag i thought"the line went limp slowly retrieving the slack i felt a tighting on the line followed with a thud thud thud ,i raised the rod and out it jumped a salmon on ,oh the joy my first one , instantly it hit me salmon no backing 4lb line size 14 and 12 spiders no net ,so i backed up slowly out of the water on to a pebble drenched beach on the bank and the fight begun ,slowly and deliberately i fed and gave as much line as i could all the while keeping it taut, eventually it succumed and i beached it ,un hooked it (it took the size 12 silver spider )and released it un harmed ,i remember leaving it go after holding it facing up stream and when i released the tail it went belly up ,i quickly grabbed it and this time i gave a too and fro motion to get the oxygen going again and after a short duration with a whip of the tail he was off on his way.and i was chuffed , same spot one day in april 2 sea trout on a purple snipe size 14 , go figure heh

redietz

Lee Wulff was known for fishing size 16 flies for salmon. My biggest ever landlocked salmon over here in the US took a waterhen bloa.

bobmiddlepoint

Out on the lochs of the Hebrides the same flies are used for brown trout, sea trout and salmon. Mainly wet flies in the size range 14 - 10.
On rivers it is often said that generally people fish too big a fly for salmon and too small a fly for sea trout and there is probably something in this although there are regional variations on what fish seem happy to take.
Clousers and Woolly Buggers make great salmon flies and sedgehogs can be very good for sea trout. Basically anything between 1/4 of an inch and 1/4 of a yard long is worth a try!

Andy

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
funny you ask that i was fishing spiders one day when on the river i cast across and let it drift down into the run just next to a pool ,when i got a sudden stop on the drift ,"snag i thought"the line went limp slowly retrieving the slack i felt a tighting on the line followed with a thud thud thud ,i raised the rod and out it jumped a salmon on ,oh the joy my first one , instantly it hit me salmon no backing 4lb line size 14 and 12 spiders no net ,so i backed up slowly out of the water on to a pebble drenched beach on the bank and the fight begun ,slowly and deliberately i fed and gave as much line as i could all the while keeping it taut, eventually it succumed and i beached it ,un hooked it (it took the size 12 silver spider )and released it un harmed ,i remember leaving it go after holding it facing up stream and when i released the tail it went belly up ,i quickly grabbed it and this time i gave a too and fro motion to get the oxygen going again and after a short duration with a whip of the tail he was off on his way.and i was chuffed , same spot one day in april 2 sea trout on a purple snipe size 14 , go figure heh
A good few of the Irish rivers, late spring and summer flies are down to size 16 albeit it dressed doubles with sparkly tails, but still size 16! Tidal beats of Moy spring to mind.
regards
Bert

Cap'n Fishy

I went out today to experiment with swinging wet flies. The wing was blowing and it was raining from time to time.
But I know a couple of sheltered spots where I can catch trout.
I knew that the #2rod I usually use would be pointless in gusty conditions like we had today.
The water was up about a foot and the color of tea.
So I dug out my old Sharpes of Aberdeen 9' #6 three piece Belmont, nice enough rod and I though ideal for wet flies.
The tippet I had was 5X.
Any way I caught some trout, then I got a very light bite and I thought another trout, that's all I have ever caught in the river. But it is a Sea Trout and Salmon river.
Nope, it pulled back and started running upstream, it jumped 4 times so I did see it, not a trout, big and silver.
It was on for a bit, then it went to some boulders and that is when the tippet broke.
I was shocked to say the least andtotally unexpected.
The flies, on the point a PTN #16 and on the dropper an Endrick spider #14.
I am surprised, if it had been the #2 rod it could have been worse.
Is this unusual ?
Salmon on a goldhead hare's ear snatcher, size 12...

... and one on a Silver Invicta...

As for sea trout, well, when it comes to traditional wet fly loch fishing, we are fishing for Salmo trutta. They are all the same fish - brown trout that have not been to sea and the exact same fish that have been to sea. And we catch them all on roughly the same set of flies. One slight difference I have noticed over the years - the preference for the sea-run trout to like a bit of blue in the dressing...

Col

taffy1

In HF's book on salmon fishing, he studied salmon being interested in a vast amount of items they would suck into their mouths & blow out again, he even caught a salmon while he was talking to an associate while his offering was static on the river bed. Salmon & sea run brownies can be caught on almost any lure you care to present them, a settled sea run brownie or an agitated salmon can prove to be an exciting experience.

Paul_B

I've caught many a salmon and sea trout while fishing for browns :)
I think this is why my preference is for 10ft 8#rods

They're a bit like us, they're not hungry but aren't going to pass a cream cake or a bun.

tingvollr

It is not unusual where I live (Northern Isles) to catch salmon (mainly grilse) on trout flies. I have caught most of mine over the years mainly on size 10 trout flies. Here's one I caught in late June this year in the sea on a size 10 foam Daddy.
https://flic.kr/p/2jgp8h4 As Col says sea trout are salmon trutta and are caught up here on the same flies you would use for brown trout.
Mike

I know someone who caught a 9lb salmon on a size 16 pheasant tail nymph whilst grayling fishing! Gave him the right run around on a #3 rod and 2.5lb tippet :ROFLMAO:

Lewis Chessman

To echo Bobmiddlepoint's post, the first salmon I gillied a chap on to took a size 10 Mallard & Claret on a two-fly cast on a Lewis loch, and you don't get much more trad trouty than an M&C.

I find blue very effective for fresh salmon & sea trout, as Col mentions, but its effectiveness seems to lessen as the season progresses. Some years back I read a scholar's article where he'd examined the pigments found in the cones of the retina of salmon. He said that there was one specific pigment which would permit the fish to perceive the colour blue. It was found in fish fresh from the sea but disappeared after 3 to 4 weeks in fresh water.
That isn't to say that a less-fresh fish won't take a blue fly, they will, but it does suggest they take it for reasons other than the colour which, after about a month, they then see as grey.
It's a concept which I've found born out in practice over several years now and I'm curious to see whether one can actually target fresh fish with a blue fly after the main runs have become, or started to become, stale.

Latest posts