will my #7 weight be ok for targeting carp

zagg77

Hi there,

I hoped you could clear up some confusion for me please - I want to target carp in the 10lb -20lb range on a fly rod, I have read in a number of of places that people use 5-7 weight fly rods to target large carp, no problem - I have also read other advice that says you should NEVER use anything less than an #8 for carp? I currently own a 7 weight which I want to go fly fishing for carp with, but am concerned it will be too light and will risk wearing out the fish or won't be powerful enough to control big carp.

any advice on this please...

Many thanks

Mark

donsta

Hi there,

I hoped you could clear up some confusion for me please - I want to target carp in the 10lb -20lb range on a fly rod, I have read in a number of of places that people use 5-7 weight fly rods to target large carp, no problem - I have also read other advice that says you should NEVER use anything less than an #8 for carp? I currently own a 7 weight which I want to go fly fishing for carp with, but am concerned it will be too light and will risk wearing out the fish or won't be powerful enough to control big carp.

any advice on this please...

Many thanks

Mark
Mark

My 'carping' experience is limited to the US, but I have caught several in the 10-20lb range. A 7wt should be fine. However, as a fish controlling tool, a 9' would be preferable to a 10' rod. Also, if you're in a place where you may need to horse a big fish away from obstacles, you may have grief (you may have grief anyway with an 8wt)! They are big and powerful and tough to turn once they get going... Most people I know who fish for carp a lot use a 7wt or an 8wt. You will need to use side strain to control a powerful fish - I've seen a few broken rods from "highsticking" big carp.... If you 'use" the rod, you should be fine. I watched a friend bring a 110b tarpon to the boat with a 9wt in 20 minutes... I learned a lot from watching!

Last edited:

zagg77

thanks very much for the quick reply...thats really useful advice
I used to fish for carp many years ago with standard 'coarse' tackle (fixed spool reel etc.) so I know how powerful carp are! Which was why I was worried that my gear may not be up to the job.

James9118

Fly rods, whether a #5, #7 or something else, are inherently flimsy when compared to some conventional carp fishing sticks. With a fly rod you therefore have to change how you fight the fish slightly. Flattening off the rod angle, thus making sure the lower sections of the rod are taking the strain is key. High-sticking looks good but applies little force on the fish. If you flatten the rod you should be able to land a carp on a #5, #7 or whatever, even a big one, in the same time that someone using 'conventional' gear would take.

Have fun, James.

mic8310

i use a *5 (where is the hashtag on a mac?!) no problem. largest carp to date 15lb and didnt feel like the rod was in danger :thumbs:

PeterK123

My fishing buddy caught carp on a ‘Lidl promo’ (£29.99) carp rod bundle. The rod is a bit light for the job but he landed the 4lb carp after an exciting tussle. He also caught dace and bream off the surface on the same lake.
For my sins, I was drop shot fishing on the same lake with 0.7 - 7 grms lure weight DS rod and also hooked a 6lb carp. Quite a buzz but next year 2020 I shall move up to a slightly heavier rod for peace of mind.

Whatever, tight lines and treat the fish with love.

catzrob

Reawakening an old thread - what tippet do you use with carp? 3x?

Do you net them out of the water or just unhook them when you bring the leader to hand?

jerryrum

Reawakening an old thread - what tippet do you use with carp? 3x?

Do you net them out of the water or just unhook them when you bring the leader to hand?

Without sounding facetious, it depends on the size of the fish.

For small wild carp in the local farm pond I would go as light as 3lb breaking strain (they are quite spooky), on the canal the fish are larger but used to all sorts of things floating on the waters surface so I use 6lb.

My angling club has stocked lakes, I've been meaning to have a go for the big carp but keep getting distracted by the Perch. If I ever do I'll probably start with 6lb (as the water is very murky) and move down to 4lb if I'm not catching.

I suspect I use lighter leader than most, but I can't think of any time I have been snapped off by a coarse fish, other than an unexpectedly large Chub.

catzrob

Thanks both - very helpful, thank you. I am going to try Duchess ponds in Bristol, I think.

pati

Hi

If it s for occasional use I d say no worries use your 7wt. If you start fishing and catching big carps on a regular basis, I would worry about the rod somehow taking some beating and losing some of its action/backbone.

If i were to look for a specific carp rod, i would probably go for an 8wt saltwater type rod.

Rob Edmunds

Yes....no problem at all....a #7 weight is perfect I've had 4 or 5 20lb Carp on a #7 weight no problem.

For me it's the ideal weight for 8 to 25lb carp....

9ft is best in my opinion.....9ft 6 or 10ft ok....