Willington Lake

The Squire

I fished yesterday evening 7pm until 9.30. The overcast breezy weather conditions filled me with optimism. The latest guy Mark has installed to extract payment suggested fishing deep was the key. The amount of weed in some areas made this unpalatable. I eventually found some clear water and took two rainbows on a black buzzer with orange cheeks about 9' under a sight bob.
No sign of an evening rise develiping before I left allthough a few were on the move. There were signs of a few sedges coming off but a G&H sedge was comprehensively ignored.
On contemplation afterwards sedge pupa/amber nymph may have been worth a try washing line style. I usually think of a good idea in the car on the way home!
Not many other anglers about, I was last to leave by a good hour and a half.
Is it me or is the water not as popular as last year?

stevet

The Squire said:
I fished yesterday evening 7pm until 9.30. The overcast breezy weather conditions filled me with optimism. The latest guy Mark has installed to extract payment suggested fishing deep was the key. The amount of weed in some areas made this unpalatable.

Maybe no-one fancied jostling with you for the fisheable parts of the lake!;)

The Squire

I fished from about 3.30 until 7pm yesterday evening. There was not much sign of any activity until the last hour when a few fish started to rise. I took a nice brown on a hares ear suspender just as it was going dark. It was a lovely looking dark fish rising just out from the bank that Mark pointed out. I think it had been quite a hard day, allthough I did hear a chap in a float tube picked up a few fish.

scottrods

Fish a silver invicta on the point and a sedge dry on the top dropper if this happens again. They were excellent there when I used to fish at Willington.

matt

Lack of fish

Hi there,

Must admit that I've stopped fishing there mainly due to the weed.:mad: Also there seems to be a lack of fish this year compared to last year! Mark keeps saying there are great rises in the last hour, but whenever I've stayed they do not appear en-masse, just the odd fish here and there.

Seems that the stocking pattern this year is a bit of a hit and miss compared to previous years!:( In fact each time I have asked about stocking I've been told a different story!

Maybe we will have a harsh winter which will kill off the weed and then that won't be such a problem.

Dapper

Address

When you ask or write about a fishery is it possible to add the nearest town/village in case someone might be in the area in future and might like to fish there.

Dapper
;) :eek:

markfish

Squire

Hi , its mark from willington here. if there's a problem with the fishery i'd like to know, if your struggling to catch then i'd be only to pleased to try to help. the weed as always is a blessing and a nightmare!! as for the stocking of the lake there is a huge head of fish, our main problem in the summer months is the huge abundance of fly life, along with are we going to suffer with the weed, this year the in front of the lodge is bad but its very shallow. i don't mind anyone having a moan its your right but i've seen and taken lots of fish in the last few weeks. i've done a temperature reading today for anyone interested, the water is still 16 degrees C!!!!

i'd appreciate anyones comments, its not easy when your treated like a mushroom. its your fishery not mine, otherwise we'll end up as another statistic!

Thanks

Mark

3lbgrayling

welcome

welcome on board mark.good of you to come on.it might be worth your time to have a look at how ifor from thornton does his report in this thread .good for you and good for us.;)

jim

Trugg

Willington

Ive not been for a while now but taking browns from that weed is like taking candy from a baby. Even in summer i was taking 15 in some sessions. Mind you most people cast full lines out as i remember, when the weed under their noses was full of lovely browns that fight like lions. I admit some parts are rendered useless with the weed at its worst, but the far end is always fishable and better fishing if you ask me.
The fish love weed and its a feature they aim for, so i try to use it to my advantage instead of getting down about it.
Anyway ill be paying Willo a visit soon once i cant get a boat so god help you Mark as you know ill be brutally honest :eek:

Can i still use your boat

See you soon

Lismik:)

markfish

Willington lake

:) hey up me duck,

the boat is there for you when your ready, i agree that people are to keen to cast a full line and miss the fish cruising the inside edge, i've had eleven fish today fishing cdc olive, yesterday my mate gary had four on the same. willington isn't an easy water, but take your time and watch what they're taking and your in, also keep low, how many blokes go down to the water bolt upright and stomp stomp stomp!!!!

look forward to seeing you

Mark

simonb

I had never fished Willington until this season and there is no doubt the water is crammed full of fish. On each of the occasions i've been I have had to slow down my fishing for fear of catching too many. Yes the weed can be a problem but think how much more interesting it can make the fishing. If you adjust your tactics to suit you'll catch a bucket load of fish. Keep up the good work Mark.

Latest posts