Wing Material for Klinkhammers

keora

I tied some Klinkhammers for river fishing using grey polypropylene yarn for the single wing. It seemed suitable at the time. Now I'm getting ready for the new season it doesn't look very good. The poly-yarn wing is coarse and crinkly, it's like a little grey fuzz ball on top of the fly. Usually a Klinkhammer wing has a cone shaped wing.

I've got some white Veniard poly yarn, shiny, thin. It will do at a pinch, but it looks floppy when tied on a fly.

I wonder if anybody could suggest any synthetic material for a Klinkhammer wing please?

wobbly face

Sounds like the wing has got crushed/flattened when in your fly box. The crinkle poly yarn is good as it creates more surface area for floatation and it also takes floatant very well.
The shiny poly yarn is also good (I've used it a lot), some are suppose to be floating yarns but I've found that's a bit tongue in cheek. You would have to at least double (maybe more) the yarn for a wing post.
You can stiffen wing posts by wrapping your thread round the base and work up the post for a few mil or so, then back down. You could even varnish (or superglue) the thread round the post before tying in your hackle.
You could also try round foam, they come in different diameters and colours.

senegals

Keora

I have some Grey McFlylon Poly yarn I can send you if you pm me your address.

I use it for wings on small F-Fly type fly and works quite well good enough to suspend a buzzer if needed.

Available from Lathkill

Regards
Bob

keora

Thank you for all your ideas.

I've looked at the Turrall poly yarn now and it's crinkly. It looks to have the same texture as the yarn I've got that's turned into a fuzz ball.

I don't think my poly wing flies were crushed in the fly box, because most of them were in a big box of spare flies with plenty of space. I usually wrap the poly yarn a couple of times around the hook shank near the eye and then wind plenty of thread around the first few mills of the wing to get a firm base for the hackle.

Thanks for suggesting the McFlylon poly yarn, I've never heard of it before. There's a wide range of colours. I appreciate you offering to send me a sample, but it doesn't matter, I'll buy something once I've decided what seems suitable. I never thought of round foam, what makes would you suggest?

The Z lon also looks good.

I once saw some TMC Aero Dry Wing in an angling shop in Harrogate (now closed). It looked interesting although very expensive, which is why I didn't buy it at the time. Has anybody tried it?

PaulD

I once saw some TMC Aero Dry Wing in an angling shop in Harrogate (now closed). It looked interesting although very expensive, which is why I didn't buy it at the time. Has anybody tried it?
Aero Dry Wing is excellent.

wobbly face

m r roid

This is my choice for parachute posts. A good range of colours, it's pretreated with 'Watershed' & competitively priced.

suzzy buzzer

The veniard poly yarn, like many of their products is total dog dirt. For the few extra quid, nothing beats aero wing, and a card will last a lifetime.

vandiemen

If you are older (like me), Loon strike yarn works great and it will float all day. Easy to see too for us oldies.

kingf000

I've used 2mm foam sheet which works great. Also used it for emergers and shipmans. I've even cut up some foam winders that were too small and used them! Almost indestructible.

keora

I decided to buy some Tiemco Aero Dry Wing because reading forum members comments, it seemed reliable.

I liked the clip of Hans Van Klinken, a Klink can be a bit difficult to tie.

m r roid

Good luck with your Klinks, Keora 👍
Please post some pictures when you've tied some 😊👌👍