Winter hints & tips for rainbows on small stillwaters

jack_russell

When folks refer to straight lining I'm lost...
What's straight lining?

Al[/QUOTE

My interpretation is that it involves fishing a team of buzzers and/or nymphs with a floater or sink tip - line is kept straight & any slack picked up with a slow retrieve, usually v slow, takes are often solid lock ups & the fish tend to stay on - as long as your paying attention!

For info - there's no "proper" way fish buzzers or nymphs - but naturally people will have preferences & opinions! ;-)

t44

I'll look forward to your report!
I fished the other day in the aftermath of Storm Ciara, but still 30 mph winds and at only 6 deg C the windchill was biting, I fished in neoprene gloves! 2 fish to a tequila fab, but nothing to black snake or buoyant shrimp. Didn't try a bung as wind was right across. I'm convinced the buoyant shrimp is going to work I shall be there next week to try again!

kevind62

Trust Member
For here in the US, fishing still water means chironomids (size 12 - 16) and zebra midges (size 14-18). I also use small stone flies too (size 16 3X long shank). Extremely slow finger retrieve method. Here are a few of my favorites.
IMG_4897 2.jpg
IMG_4878 2.jpgIMG_4876 2.jpgIMG_4862 2.jpgIMG_4585.jpgIMG_4581.jpgIMG_4571.jpgIMG_3138.jpgIMG_3134.jpgIMG_3132.jpg

jack_russell

Wind now dropped to a mere 50mph for tomorrow's comp - fishery owner called round yesterday confirming the comp is still on!
Westerly wind too so the bank that has the most pegs will be head on!

jack_russell

I'm thinking the water is going to coloured up big time too - what's the consensus re: fly colour for chocolate coloured water - I'm guessing black or orange?

Paul_B

We used, still use what we call a Sally lunn with good results for well coloured water, one of my dads from early last century, a white bodied, gold ribbed with yellow hackles and wings.
My granddad apparently reared canary for the pit and kept the tradition going with different variants and my father had a good selection.