Winter Socks

rabmax

Hello all.Don't think it got above freezing today.After hours wading in freezing water My feet were like ice blocks.Anyway looking at upgrading to better socks(if there are better)I was wearing two thin pairs of socks& two thick pair of thermal socks.The thermal type socks you get in b & m & poundstreatcher stores.Wondering if buying something like merino wool socks' neoprene or fleece socks would be warmer.Was looking at these.But no idea if they would be warmer.Whats other people wearing.Cheers

jaybeegee

I’ve got a couple of pairs of Heat Holders that are pretty good which I bought at a builder’s merchants. Amazon have them as well for about seven quid.
B

Bobfly2

Rabmax, you were wearing four pairs of socks. That is rather likely to be too much and restriction warming circulation. I would go for two pairs only and with plenty proper wool in the mix. I used to do a lot of technical winter climbing and we always had two pairs on in our climbing boots, never more.

rabmax

So maybe proper wool like merino or similar.What about neoprene.Would your feet just sweat inside the neoprene then cool down.The 2 thick pairs of socks I have been wearing are the heat holders.

Bobfly2

In any climbing shop I have ever been in you will not find neoprene socks.

ohanzee

Smartwool climbing crew, the red soled ones, 4 pairs come in about £100 but they are proper technical kit.

fishing hobo

So maybe proper wool like merino or similar.What about neoprene.Would your feet just sweat inside the neoprene then cool down.The 2 thick pairs of socks I have been wearing are the heat holders.
Neoprene sweats inside Rab although it has kept me warm during use. The one Ohanzee mentions is good but I would prefer knee length ones. Haven't found one that is acceptable for me yet as I don't tolerate cold very well.

rabmax

Neoprene sweats inside Rab although it has kept me warm during use. The one Ohanzee mentions is good but I would prefer knee length ones. Haven't found one that is acceptable for me yet as I don't tolerate cold very well.
Not too bothered about long wool socks.I wear those cheap thin thermal tops & bottoms.Never get cold legs.My wife likes knitting.Maybe see if she can knit me a few pairs with merino wool.

Rhithrogena

USB rechargeable electrically-heated insoles are a thing these days. Bluetooth control from your phone. Over 20hrs battery life. Sound just the job.
I have NO experience myself. Any one used them?

rabmax

USB rechargeable electrically-heated insoles are a thing these days. Bluetooth control from your phone. Over 20hrs battery life. Sound just the job.
I have NO experience myself. Any one used them?
I was wondering about these things.Seen battery heated socks too.

taffy1

I'm sure our military guys & gals are issued with footwear that provides the necessary protection needed in the arctic postings they are sent to. Check out some military suppliers.

haggstock

Wool all the way . Smartwool per Ohanzees recommendation if you want just about the best available and easy to buy on the High Street at Mountain Warehouse , under the smartwool I normally put a pair of Bridgedale CoolMax liner socks . Wool is great , I shoot in breeks and proper knee high wool shooting socks ( UK made always Hawick or Nottingham) always warm even in silly conditions .

Hardrar

I’ve got a couple of pairs of Heat Holders that are pretty good which I bought at a builder’s merchants. Amazon have them as well for about seven quid.
B
We sell these at work, I use them for wading and all our warehouse staff swear by them. Keep my feet warm on the coldest of days!

Paul_B

I was wondering about these things.Seen battery heated socks too.

I wear a battery heated coat or a gilet and they're brilliant.
This sort of thing
1638215375553.png

ed_t

This sort of thing
Keep the core warm and the extremities follow. Hypothermia is the core cooling followed by the brain due to cold extremities. Body reduces flow to cold bits to preserve the noggin. Good hat more important than good socks, but staying toasty and dry is the best plan.

rabmax

This sort of thing
View attachment 45976
I hame seen these before.Never thought they would be up to much.Think i will order a gilet from Amazon.I already have a few power packs.Look's good.I am off working for 3 weeks.I should be nice & toastie next time home grayling fishing.Cheers