Winter Socks

GraylingFin

I've been experiencing different setups.
One thing for sure, and you probably know this, is no cotton as once moist it will stay moist and that cools down.
Something that wicks moisture and nothing too constricting as mentioned above, or your feet will be cold even before you enter the water.
My next try is a thick synthetic sock for comfort, then a wool sock, for warmth and more wicking.

Watersplatter

Wool all the way . Smartwool per Ohanzees recommendation if you want just about the best available and easy to buy on the High Street at Mountain Warehouse , under the smartwool I normally put a pair of Bridgedale CoolMax liner socks . Wool is great , I shoot in breeks and proper knee high wool shooting socks ( UK made always Hawick or Nottingham) always warm even in silly conditions .
This is exactly my set up, not cheap but very good.

Rhithrogena

I swear by silk liner socks under a pair of Merino wool ski socks or Heat Holders, as above. Super comfy and not itchy at all:

rabmax

these

I have some waiting at home that's 70% merino to try first.I was looking at army Ecw ones.They are hard to find at a reasonable price the now.Plus seemingly there are loads of fake Ecw socks going around..Maybe buy some linner socks though.

Paul_B

But do they fit humans........

Not only do they fit, theyre very warm in winter and cool in summer (don't ask me how they know) and when you get fed up of them they're perfect for dry fly tying as alpaca fibre is hollow, not so good for wet flies. Then again, who wants a wet fly :unsure:

ohanzee

My next try is a thick synthetic sock for comfort, then a wool sock, for warmth and more wicking.

Sound logic, feet sweat and make socks damp, anything that holds the damp is useless(cotton/wool) so a mix is sensible, hence Smartwool, marino/syntheic, engineered to keep air under the foot.

Best tip: turn socks inside out every 10 miles of march, keeps the pile working, the problems begin when the layer between sole and boot break down, flatten and stop working, first sign is smell.

ohanzee

No they don't, not unless you boil wash them, its hair and can be washed on a wool cycle.

Good luck with that, did mine on a 30 degree wool wash as advised and they came out half the size and compacted, couldn't stretch them back, checked with a friend and they said theirs did that too, Alpaca itself is amazing, when new it's hard to beat but the makers tend to use only Alpaca in the socks so need that extra care.

icejohn

Ski socks but you need roomy waders to wear them as they bulky. They don't fit my simms but the snowbee type waders with fitted boots work fine.

Latest posts